Should Jbot Try To Add to This Roster Before Next Season?

GASabresIUFAN

The right vet in the wrong situation doesn't work either.

Messier was brought in to save the Canucks, was named captain and they went nowhere, missing the playoffs three straight years. If I recall correctly, it was Linden's team and management gave Messier the C. Everyone talks about the Cup he won with the Rangers but his Canuck era is swept under the rug.

FYI:  Arrival dates - 1st full season, on the DR retooling 

prospects

McKee 96/97

Max 99/00

Kalinin 00/01

Connolly 01/02

Kotalik, Campbell and Tallinder 02/03

Roy 03/04

Gaustad, Miller, Vanek and Pommers 05/06 - Miller and Goose would have been up in 04/05 if not for the lockout.

Vets

Dumont 00/01

Hecht 02/03

Briere and Drury 03/04

Grier, Teppo & Lydman 05/06 - Grier was already a Sabre before the lockout.

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hunwick doesn't have to be that good, he is just here for depth.  Sobotka can still play.  He still can skate and wins draws.  He just turned 31 and had 31 pts last season.  I don't see anything in general stats that says he can't play, but I'm not a advanced stat guy.

Pominville scored 34 points last year as a 35 year old. He's still an anchor on the cap and the lineup. Luckily it's just for one more season. Sobotka may be younger, but he's already less productive and he'll be an anchor for the cap for 2 more seasons. Berglund is also younger, but less productive than Pominville and will be anchoring our cap for 4 more seasons.

2 hours ago, Alkoholist said:

Pominville scored 34 points last year as a 35 year old. He's still an anchor on the cap and the lineup. Luckily it's just for one more season. Sobotka may be younger, but he's already less productive and he'll be an anchor for the cap for 2 more seasons. Berglund is also younger, but less productive than Pominville and will be anchoring our cap for 4 more seasons.

Here is the big difference.  Pommers got his points playing mostly with Jack (includign 7 PP pts) and getting offensive zone starts 64% of the time.

Sobotka and Berglund were brought in for veteran leadership and because they are solid two way players who also chip in some offense.  Sobotka got his 31pts almost completely at even strength playing 17 minutes a night with 55% D zone starts.  Berglund's numbers are similar with 16 minutes and 56% D Zone starts.  Both guys with 53% of their draws and both guys rarely giveaway the puck.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:  Arrival dates - 1st full season, on the DR retooling 

prospects

McKee 96/97

Max 99/00

Kalinin 00/01

Connolly 01/02

Kotalik, Campbell and Tallinder 02/03

Roy 03/04

Gaustad, Miller, Vanek and Pommers 05/06 - Miller and Goose would have been up in 04/05 if not for the lockout.

Vets

Dumont 00/01

Hecht 02/03

Briere and Drury 03/04

Grier, Teppo & Lydman 05/06 - Grier was already a Sabre before the lockout.

Are you countering my point with that data?  I see that data and I see my argument being supported.

The key kids in that era were Miller, Roy, Vanek, Pominville.  When they arrived Hecht, Briere, Drury, Grier, Teppo, and Lydman were here.  Those are your key vets teaching your kids.

McKee's rookie year was prior to our Cup run with Hasek, so leaving him out as a vet is odd.  He was a leader by 05/06.

Afinogenov was 5+ years into his pro career.

Roy played his rookie season with Drury, Briere, Hecht, Dumont, Brown, Patrick, and Grier.  So it's not like he didn't have the benefit of veteran leadership.

Those kids were set up with alot of veterans around them right from the beginning of their NHL careers.

On 7/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is the big difference.  Pommers got his points playing mostly with Jack (includign 7 PP pts) and getting offensive zone starts 64% of the time.

Sobotka and Berglund were brought in for veteran leadership and because they are solid two way players who also chip in some offense.  Sobotka got his 31pts almost completely at even strength playing 17 minutes a night with 55% D zone starts.  Berglund's numbers are similar with 16 minutes and 56% D Zone starts.  Both guys with 53% of their draws and both guys rarely giveaway the puck.  

Excellent response.  I didn’t realize Berglund played fewer minutes than Vodka.  

Unless they trade Sam (unlikely) I don't expect any more moves and I am satisfied with what Jbot has tried to do, and the direction he is trying to move in.

I'm most interested to see if Tage Thompson will turn out to be a diamond in the rough or just another Joe Kowal. 

Dahlin? Dahlin is simply going to give everyone hope again. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess Jbot answered this question.  He wasn’t done and isn’t done now that he has a glut of forwards.  Who’s next?

He;s gotta be done adding, right?  If any moves are made now, it has to be subtraction I would think.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You would think, but he may still want another RHD as Bogo injury insurance.  

We definitely need to unload a contract or two.

With Casey and Dahlin making the team, two of Hunwick, Beaulieu, Nelson, Baptiste, Bailey, Wilson, Pominville, Girgensons and Larsson will be on waivers. They are all likely available for mid- to late-round pick. Trading two of those guys for a #6 RHD might be an option.

Edited by dudacek

Well Skinner was a great get, one that I was wanting so lets hope the trend continues, lets get some more help on defense and land another Wild defensmen in Jonas Brodin, he and Scandella would be a solid 2nd pair (Dahlin/Risto being the top obviously). possibly Trade F Justin Bailey+  D Jake McCabe + the San Jose 1st round pick.  

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess Jbot answered this question.  He wasn’t done and isn’t done now that he has a glut of forwards.  Who’s next?

Bogo/Okposo/McCabe/Bailey/Baptiste/Smith/Nylander ( though I think they still love the kid)

looking for a 3:1 deal, I think they want to shed some contracts.  

I'm good with the way things stand now. Unless you're gonna trade Larry or Zegmus for high picks or prospects (what team would bother?) next year, leave it alone. See what you have and what works. Any other moves need to be done in the season, but only after Housley has the ability to truly coach the room.

I think the biggest flaw on this team was the inability to bench a player screwing up because you had no one to replace him in any position. Get with the program or sit the #### down. Bad habits were let go too long. I think the number of warm bodies that are hungry is exactly what changes the culture.

Thats why Lindy was so effective as a coach for such a long time. His players were afraid that if they weren't on board they wouldn't play. Now, this is contingent on Housley being a good coach and being able to create a system that maximises the talent on the roster and utilize their individual strengths. I'm not sold yet that he can do that. But now he finally has the tools to coach properly. 

37 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

I'm good with the way things stand now. Unless you're gonna trade Larry or Zegmus for high picks or prospects (what team would bother?) next year, leave it alone. See what you have and what works. Any other moves need to be done in the season, but only after Housley has the ability to truly coach the room.

I think the biggest flaw on this team was the inability to bench a player screwing up because you had no one to replace him in any position. Get with the program or sit the #### down. Bad habits were let go too long. I think the number of warm bodies that are hungry is exactly what changes the culture.

Thats why Lindy was so effective as a coach for such a long time. His players were afraid that if they weren't on board they wouldn't play. Now, this is contingent on Housley being a good coach and being able to create a system that maximises the talent on the roster and utilize their individual strengths. I'm not sold yet that he can do that. But now he finally has the tools to coach properly. 

The flip side of that is, we are going to lose some of those warm bodies because we will have to expose some of them to waivers. We current;ly have more forwards on the roster than we can keep.  Like 2 or 3 more, and that includes sitting a couple in the press box on game days.  And we don't have roster space for forwards in Rochester anyway.  Moving them now probably makes sense.

13 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Well Skinner was a great get, one that I was wanting so lets hope the trend continues, lets get some more help on defense and land another Wild defensmen in Jonas Brodin, he and Scandella would be a solid 2nd pair (Dahlin/Risto being the top obviously). possibly Trade F Justin Bailey+  D Jake McCabe + the San Jose 1st round pick.  

I'm not forcing Dahlin to cover for Ristos f##k ups. 

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

With Casey and Dahlin making the team, two of Hunwick, Beaulieu, Nelson, Baptiste, Bailey, Wilson, Pominville, Girgensons and Larsson will be on waivers. They are all likely available for mid- to late-round pick. Trading two of those guys for a #6 RHD might be an option.

Casey Nelson is the #6 defender in my mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not a fan of the Vodka nickname.  To me, that seems like it would be disrespectful.  If he earned it, that is one thing.  To the best of my knowledge he hasn't.  Not a nickname I'll be using.

Disrespectful because it implies that he has a boozing problem?

Or disrespectful to the liquor because Sobotka hasn't shown he's cool enough to have "Vodka" as a nickname?

(Asking for a friend.)

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Disrespectful because it implies that he has a boozing problem?

Or disrespectful to the liquor because Sobotka hasn't shown he's cool enough to have "Vodka" as a nickname?

(Asking for a friend.)

Disrespectful to the player, not the alcohol.  I'd call a guy Vodka because of his drinking habits.  If someone called me Weller I'd get that.  I earned it.  I can own that.  I'd not call someone I don't know that type of nickname though.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Not a fan of the Vodka nickname.  To me, that seems like it would be disrespectful.  If he earned it, that is one thing.  To the best of my knowledge he hasn't.  Not a nickname I'll be using.

Agreed. Would have been an appropriate nickname for a former 76 goal scorer, but maybe not for this guy.

OTOH, it may have been an autocorrect issue.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.