UPDATE: Sam Reinhart signs 2-year extension -- $3.65MM per year

dudacek

A few scenarios to chew on:

Sam signs a 2-year, $8 million bridge, settles in as a 50-point scorer, becomes an RFA at age 24 asking for $6 million per

Sam signs a 2-year, $8 million bridge, breaks out as a 65-point scorer, becomes an RFA at age 24, asking for $8 million

Sam signs a 6-year, $36 million deal, settles in as a 50-point scorer, becomes a UFA at 28 asking for ?

Sam signs a 6-year, $36 million deal, breaks out as a 65-point scorer, becomes a UFA at 28 asking for ?

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A few scenarios to chew on:

Sam signs a 2-year, $8 million bridge, settles in as a 50-point scorer, becomes an RFA at age 24 asking for $6 million per

Sam signs a 2-year, $8 million bridge, breaks out as a 65-point scorer, becomes an RFA at age 24, asking for $8 million

Sam signs a 6-year, $36 million deal, settles in as a 50-point scorer, becomes a UFA at 28 asking for ?

Sam signs a 6-year, $36 million deal, breaks out as a 65-point scorer, becomes a UFA at 28 asking for ?

No. 4 please.  Assuming we're not talking about 65 secondary assists.

Edited by Eleven

IMHO, 3 out of duda's 4 scenarios argue in favor of giving him a 2-year deal.

- both "settle into 50-point" scenarios mean that he's plateaued already and isn't going to get any better than the decent but not great player we've seen so far.  That is not a guy I'm remotely interested in giving a long-term deal.

- I'm also fine with a bridge deal where he he turns into a 65-point guy, even though his next contract will be more expensive, because I don't think he'll turn into that player unless he has the motivation of being told that his team doesn't think he's worth a fat contract yet but it's there for him in 2 years.

Separately, my gyro sandwich has collapsed into a greasy mess, notwithstanding its deliciousness.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm now thinking a 5 year deal.  Okposo's contract comes off the books then and we can then use KO's money to re-sign Samson if he is worth it.

Unless I'm missing something that's not a great deal for the Sabres at all.  A player becomes a UFA at the age of 27 or 7 years played.  Sam has played 3.  So you are buying up all of his RFA years and only one UFA season.

I think no matter what it should either be a 1-3 year bridge deal or 6+ long term deal.  4-5 years are not very desirable from a Sabres perspective.

Depends on the player, but there is a lot to be said for locking your core guys into 8-year deals covering all prime years until they hit 30, same idea as Jack. Whether Sam fits that mould is another question.

Edited by dudacek

I think he gets a 1year deal and I think he signs his deal in mid August. He believes he's worth an 8yr deal and so Botterill is saying, fine prove it. I originally thought different but my sense of things is that Reinhart is just mulling over if he wants that 1yr prove it deal or not. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Less then 5 years is fine by me.  I have wanted a 3 year bridge deal, but I'm looking at the Sabres cap situation and the puzzle pieces need to fit together.  I agree with Pi that performance relative to $ paid is more important then term or buying UFA years.  I don't think Samson has earned an 8 year deal.  Playing great for one half season isn't proof of long-term success.  Howeve, the question of this thread isn't what I want them to do, but what I think they'll do.  Samson contract expiring w Okposo's makes sense from a cap prospective even if it doesn't get enough UFA years.  

On 7/31/2018 at 11:32 AM, dudacek said:

Domi put up 135 points over his ELC, Sam 139.

Sam is a year younger and scored more goals, so will get more, but they are definitely comparables.

Sam put up 140, but splitting hairs here. 

To your point, Domi actually has a higher points per game than Reinhart throughout the duration of his ELC. .61 v .56

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Less then 5 years is fine by me.  I have wanted a 3 year bridge deal, but I'm looking at the Sabres cap situation and the puzzle pieces need to fit together.  I agree with Pi that performance relative to $ paid is more important then term or buying UFA years.  I don't think Samson has earned an 8 year deal.  Playing great for one half season isn't proof of long-term success.  Howeve, the question of this thread isn't what I want them to do, but what I think they'll do.  Samson contract expiring w Okposo's makes sense from a cap prospective even if it doesn't get enough UFA years.  

The team isn’t going to give him a five-year deal. It’d be almost as bad as a four-year pact. And teams don’t need to operate by looking around at other contracts and when they expire if they have so few deals signed that far out. The only long-term consideration the team is likely looking at is what contracts they’ll soon have to do (Dahlin, Mittelstadt).

Jbot and his staff look at that all the time. GM’s want to know when vet deals come off the books so they re-allocate that money under the cap where they need it to go.  It’s a consideration in every trade and every FA signing.   Taking on Nunwick’s, Pommers’s, Sobotka’s and Berglunds deals and for how long was a huge consideration in the trades.  Most of the K’s acquired every just a year or two, so no big deal as this team rebuilds. However Berglund’s 4 year deal was likely a huge sticking point in the negotiation.  The only reason he was able to take he contract is because he had so few out that far,  but that contract will become an issue sooner then later.

We have 9 players on the current roster who will be RFA’s over then next 3 seasons, plus Scandella, Risto and Sheary who will need to be retained.  This list includes Thompson, Mittelstadt and Dahlin who will likely be up for long-term deals as well.  How those contracts fall into the cap and for how long is always a consideration.  While you are correct that only KO and Jack are extended beyond 4 years. The number of players and the size of their deals for players under contract for 22/23 and beyond will grow and quickly over the next few years.  

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

If JBott is indeed holding firm to $4.5MM x 2 years, then he is doing it right and I am encouraged about his judgment and therefore the Sabres' long-term picture.

Players have remarked how bitter they are towards the team after arbitration and processes like this. I don't think it's wise to burn a bridge with a young player like Reinhart over $1M/year, especially when our cap isn't an issue

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.