Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

Here are a couple of tweets from guys that follow prospects closely:

8THDfca4_normal.jpg

/Cam Robinson/ (@Hockey_Robinson)

2018-07-02, 12:46 AM

⁦‪@Scouching⁩ I’m going to blow your mind: Tage Thompson is better than all but Thomas in that grouping.

2_Rzad1p_normal.jpg

Grant McCagg (@grantmccagg)

2018-07-01, 11:28 PM

⁦‪@jprutherford⁩ I have a hard time assuming that Kryrou and Kostin are going to be better NHLers than Thompson. That very much remains to be seen. I'd even be willing to bet the Sabres wanted Thompson over at least one of them, perhaps both. Helps them now...for one.

Anyways, not all doom and gloom. 

3 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Gionta and O'Reilly out because they weren't good enough leadership................ does anybody think Eichel might be the problem?

He's a great talent, but the kid needs to grow up and the team needs to realize you need to build around veterans, not spoiled young talent. 

I'm sorry but I just can't believe we say these kinds of things as a fan base.  "Spoiled young talent"?  That's crazy talk.  He's a hard working, young guy that has skills some of the best players can't practice hard enough to have.  

You don't build around veterans - you build around stars.  We have one and probably two.  Of course Eichel needs to grow up - he's 21.  So what?

If you can guess what went on, then lets guess.  How do you know ROR didn't like Bylsma's system because it fit him better being a slower player?  Then he got pissed because Eichel just played his puck possession game and subsequently was part of the reason Dan was fired?  Then ROR didn't like that Eichel got a north and south GM and coach - so he thought of him as a spoiled young talent?  

How about that for a guess?  Anyone think ROR didn't like the direction the team was heading because he knew it wasn't being built around him?  I mean, c'mon.

So, for those who follow prospects closer than I. 

Are we mad about no Thomas or kyrou because those are names we're familiar with from posting here? I never saw Thompsons name mentioned in any of the mock trades. But is the guy getting a bad rap. If he turns out to be good, then the only part of the trade I'm mad about is Sobotka coming back as well as Berglund. 

58 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

So, for those who follow prospects closer than I. 

Are we mad about no Thomas or kyrou because those are names we're familiar with from posting here? I never saw Thompsons name mentioned in any of the mock trades. But is the guy getting a bad rap. If he turns out to be good, then the only part of the trade I'm mad about is Sobotka coming back as well as Berglund. 

I was originally thinking of Logan Stanley in my initial reaction. He's a big defender who got drafted high even though his production and skating says that's a mistake. Thompson on the other hand does have straight line speed. My concern is his agility. Kyrou is fast and agile. That's why I prefer him. Thomas, to be honest is a poor man's ROR and someone who at best is probably a 50pt player. I wanted Kyrou because his upside is the best and his skating is good. Thompson is a safe bet to be at least a 3rd line player. Depends on your cup of tea. 

6 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Gionta and O'Reilly out because they weren't good enough leadership................ does anybody think Eichel might be the problem?

He's a great talent, but the kid needs to grow up and the team needs to realize you need to build around veterans, not spoiled young talent. 

Of course i could be wrong, but no, i don't think Eichel could be the problem at all. I think when the team loses a lot, people always try to search for answers and often times look at the star players and try to connect any dots they can find and hope it matches with their agenda. Like some of the posters here have said, Paul Hamilton and Mike Harrington have both referenced how he has matured as a player. It's well chronicled how he and Sam Reinhart are best buds. He lived with Matt Moulson and i recall hearing that Jack still keeps communication with Moulson even after he was loaned out to Cali in the AHL. Eichel also took Casey Mittelstadt out to lunch when he first arrived to town and also called Rasmus Dahlin as soon as he was drafted. On top of all that, Evander Kane called him "a great young leader" in a piece he did recently for the Players Tribune. 

I may be missing something, but nothing adds up about Eichel being part of the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

Bylsma was definitely the better coach - for the team we had.  Dump and chase all game long and sit back on defense.  It produced more because it better suites the players we had.  JBot and Housley have a North and South, puck possession philosophy which is the exact opposite of the talent we had the last several years.  

The personnel will be changed out until that system can be realized.  It's part of why ROR had to go.   

right on the moeny

On 7/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, LTS said:

I'm not arguing against his most productive season and Duchene.  It is interesting that both of those players forced their way out of Colorado though. 

Also interesting that Colorado's fortunes changed after they both left.  Not saying that its 100% the reason but ....... perhaps a plus due to culture change.

Something interesting regarding Thompson. Lou Korac who covers the Blues for the NHL.com was on with Sal C. discussing the trade. He mentioned that St Louis was trying to get Mike Hoffman from the Senators at the trade deadline and the deal fell through because Ottawa wanted Tage Thompson in return. 

I would have preferred Kyrou, but this is interesting nonetheless. 

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Something interesting regarding Thompson. Lou Korac who covers the Blues for the NHL.com was on with Sal C. discussing the trade. He mentioned that St Louis was trying to get Mike Hoffman from the Senators at the trade deadline and the deal fell through because Ottawa wanted Tage Thompson in return. 

I would have preferred Kyrou, but this is interesting nonetheless. 

Ottawa wanting Thompson doesn't make me feel better 

• Haha (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
45 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Ottawa wanting Thompson doesn't make me feel better 

I was going more for the Armstrong wouldn’t give him up for Mike Hoffman Angle (before the fiancée can be challenging information leaking), unless St Louis had an inkling something was up. 

I do see your point though. 

Edited by Brawndo

Brady Tkachuk: 8g, 23a, 40games, 0.775ppg

Tage Thompson: 14g, 18a, 36games, 0.889ppg

I realized that Thompson and Tkachuk are both larger forwards who played their draft year in the NCAA. They are only 1.5months apart in age so they are good comparables. Thompson played on a less talented team than Tkachuk. Tkachuk did better outside of college at the WJC than Tage. I bring this up because I find it interesting that Tage is a Sabre and we know that Botterill was trying to trade for #3 overall and supposedly Brady Tkachuk. 

1 hour ago, Skurk Liger said:

Brady Tkachuk: 8g, 23a, 40games, 0.775ppg

Tage Thompson: 14g, 18a, 36games, 0.889ppg

I realized that Thompson and Tkachuk are both larger forwards who played their draft year in the NCAA. They are only 1.5months apart in age so they are good comparables. Thompson played on a less talented team than Tkachuk. Tkachuk did better outside of college at the WJC than Tage. I bring this up because I find it interesting that Tage is a Sabre and we know that Botterill was trying to trade for #3 overall and supposedly Brady Tkachuk. 

Makes sense. I could see Thompson being stapled to Mittelstadt's hip just like he probably would have done with Tkachuk if Montreal had given up 3rd overall. Hopefully they develop some chemistry.

2 hours ago, Skurk Liger said:

I bring this up because I find it interesting that Tage is a Sabre and we know that Botterill was trying to trade for #3 overall and supposedly Brady Tkachuk.

How do you *know* that?  We know nothing.  It was a rumor.

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

How do you *know* that?  We know nothing.  It was a rumor.

It was a rumour sources by multiple credible journalists. And then you had the Habs GM say in a press conference -- we're interested in ROR, but JBOT can call me when the price comes down.

Who said there was a trade in the works?  It was all rumor.

That's one thing I hate about this place:  We invent a narrative about impending trades and that speculation becomes fact in the minds of some.

Y'all get a few bits of information and write a novel about it.

...and call it fact.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Who said there was a trade in the works?  It was all rumor.

That's one thing I hate about this place:  We invent a narrative about impending trades and that speculation becomes fact in the minds of some.

Y'all get a few bits of information and write a novel about it.

...and call it fact.

Who pst in your Cheerios?

This isn't a narrative -- it's a reference to multiple credible reports of the demand for the 3OA being made, and then substantiated by the MTL GM himself saying Buffalo's price was too high.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.