ROR Watch - Who Is Our 2nd Line Center If ROR Is Traded?

GASabresIUFAN

ROR trade?????  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will ROR get traded?

• Yes, and soon
    • Not before this coming season
    • At the trade deadline if the Sabres are out of it
    • After the 2018-19.
  2. 2. If Yes, to whom?

• St. Louis
    • NYI
    • Montreal
    • Boston
    • Other
  3. 3. Who takes over at 2nd C if ROR is traded

• Mittelstadt
    • Reinhart
    • FA like Bozak or Nash
    • Some acquired in trade such as??

That's just cause he's Latvian. When the Latvian team toured Canada a few years back the entire team was apparently out drinking almost every night. They down vodka like it's water. They need it to survive. 

I think it would be 2 steps forward and 1 small one back. 

ROR has to go. We can't know for sure he was part of the locker room problem, but no one here can be sure he wasn't either. Best to remove the possibility and see what Captain Jack can do.

How can you admittedly be so certain about the proper course of action while admitting not having any idea about the dynamics at play? 

How can you admittedly be so certain about the proper course of action while admitting not having any idea about the dynamics at play? 

To remove the uncertainty.

One would have to trust that JBot has figured out who is a problem and who isn't. Not fixing the locker room this off season would mean he fails imo. Can't have a broken locker room going forward with the youth coming in. So if JBot doesn't trade ROR I'll have to trust that he thinks he's not the remaining problem. 

I'd just like the issue to go away so we can get back to discussing things like why is San struggling again at the beginning of next season. :)

I think most of us were of the opinion changes needed to be made in the locker room.

Not having any way of knowing the issues, it’s something that we’re just going to have to trust Botterill to address.

I can think of no other rationale for trading your best (not your most talented, or most important, but your best) player..

I think most of us were of the opinion changes needed to be made in the locker room.

Not having any way of knowing the issues, it’s something that we’re just going to have to trust Botterill to address.

I can think of no other rationale for trading your best (not your most talented, or most important, but your best) player..

That's the only rationale I can think of as well and we must trust Botterill to handle it. I love ROR as a player but I'm not in a position to make those assessments.

To remove the uncertainty.

One would have to trust that JBot has figured out who is a problem and who isn't. Not fixing the locker room this off season would mean he fails imo. Can't have a broken locker room going forward with the youth coming in. So if JBot doesn't trade ROR I'll have to trust that he thinks he's not the remaining problem. 

I'd just like the issue to go away so we can get back to discussing things like why is San struggling again at the beginning of next season. :)

So for the sake of argument, I won't argue the merits of the broken locker room stuff. But my point is that you are certain O'Reilly has to go, even though you are wholly uncertain he's the problem. That doesn't seem logical to me. It would make a lot more sense if your position was "O'Reilly has to go if he's the problem." 

So for the sake of argument, I won't argue the merits of the broken locker room stuff. But my point is that you are certain O'Reilly has to go, even though you are wholly uncertain he's the problem. That doesn't seem logical to me. It would make a lot more sense if your position was "O'Reilly has to go if he's the problem." 

Yup. That's pretty much where I stand. I was previously allowing for the possibility that Botterill was wholly pushing back the Sabres timeline for serious competitiveness, long enough that he conceivably might feel O'Reilly wouldn't fit age wise, but the acquisition of Sheary, more of a win now guy, leads me to believe if O'Reilly is moved, it's a chemistry/locker room deal. 

That is my position, O'Reilly has to go if they think he's the problem (or part of the problem). 

I think I lean to the assumption that he is probably a problem because they have shopped him around so publicly. Why would you do that otherwise? Now maybe O'Reilly has asked for a trade (in private) but either way, it'd be bad to keep him under either situation. 

That is my position, O'Reilly has to go if they think he's the problem (or part of the problem).

I think I lean to the assumption that he is probably a problem because they have shopped him around so publicly. Why would you do that otherwise? Now maybe O'Reilly has asked for a trade (in private) but either way, it'd be bad to keep him under either situation.

When have they publically shopped him? Botterill has said on numerous occasion they like him and are getting calls on lots of players. That's not shopping that's listening.

As Liger said, the team hasn't been publicly shopping him. But there are other viable explanations for trading O'Reilly. It could be that Botterill sees him as one of the few tradeable assets to give the team a different on-ice makeup. He might want be worried about the backside of the contract. He may not think we're a contender until Mittelstadt takes over 2C duties and Dahlin matures, at which point O'Reilly will be 29-30 and (if they for some reason wouldn't want him at wing) a very expensive 3C. Or maybe he simply says we were freaking terrible, I'll listen on anything.

I'm not saying I agree with those possible reasons, just that there are a lot of reasons for exploring trades outside of locker room stuff.

When have they publically shopped him? Botterill has said on numerous occasion they like him and are getting calls on lots of players. That's not shopping that's listening.

I stood on my soap box years ago on this topic and was chastised for it. What gets cited as rumor is almost always speculation and speculation has just turned into fantasy GM stuff. I believe Flagg summed it up perfectly in a diatribe for the ages so I wont bother but the way these things go from complete fabrication to fact is nausiating.

Lastest Lebrun tweet on bonus and likely trade: https://twitter.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1013426553735270401?s=21

Sabres have till end of day to pay bonus. States if they do trade unlikely.

John WawrowVerified account @john_wawrow 11h11 hours ago

#Sabres have in fact picked up Ryan O'Reilly's bonus.

So he's staying.

Wouldn't draw any conclusions. I think the expectation was always that we'd pay the bonus and then flip him for a better return. Botterill needs to get the best possible return, not save the team money, if he's making this trade a couple months after his team finishes 31st.

Wouldn't draw any conclusions. I think the expectation was always that we'd pay the bonus and then flip him for a better return. Botterill needs to get the best possible return, not save the team money, if he's making this trade a couple months after his team finishes 31st.

Yeah, the reporting that "Sabres paying bonus makes trade less likely" goes against my intuition

True. I just think Bozak is the writing on the wall. Teams don't wanna pony up even established market value for ROR, so Botterill is going to keep him.

Edited by Thorny

True. Sabres paying the bonus makes him more valuable to other teams, but if the asking price was already too high before, it's not going to be cheaper now.

But if a team was close to a deal and wanted that sweetener, they just got it.

I suspect all negotiations to date were based on a trade on or after 7/1, taking into account that ROR's payday was picked up by the Sabres. That's why all the rumors popping up the last few days followed by official denials.  Every deal was assumed to take place today or later.  I don't think this affects likelihood at all.

What affects the likelihood of a trade is Bozak signing with the Blues.  That means they're out of the ROR picture.  Once Tavares signs then the suitors for ROR will be apparent, and a bidding war may ensue.

Or not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.