Sabres Development Camp

Brawndo

He was the last thing on this team to have any actual work ethic other than girgensons and ROR. Big part of our last playoff run. Didn't suck until he took gaustads skate to the face. Funny how our memories differ so much

Nathan Gerbe was a player I liked to pull for, but his size was something he couldn't overcome.

Finally made it back home and tourney was streamed so not sure if it's necessary to throw out my observations but here they are:

*Dahlin looked fantastic the first two games but seemed to tire as it went on. He is such a fluid skater, my wife says he looks like a gazelle out there.

*Mittelstadt, what can you say? His hands are elite. Just elite. He was worth the price of admission today (ok it was free but still). I've been wrong about prospects before but he looks to have that high end skill but unlike Nylander you don't just see it in warm ups and shootouts. He played his best in semi and final game. Which seems to go with his career m.o. so far that he rises when the games get bigger.

*Pekar is one of my new favorite prospects. If you are just some goon taking shots at our top prospects than I have no time for you. But this guy has some skill. If I didn't know he's a recently drafted 4th round pick I would think he's an older, decent prospect. Watch for him moving forward.

*Sheppard, atleast I think that's his name. He looked really good. I checked his gaa and sv percentage from last year on the program and they were great. I think NCAA numbers too. Hope he gets a contract.

*Guhle looked really good. One of the best, if not, the best skater in the organization. He looks ready to be in the top 6 this year but let's see what JBott does. You can tell he's a step above the competition today.

*Oloffson (too lazy to look up spelling) was also excellent. I know he's 22 and therefore should look good but that shot is elite. I hope he gets a long look in training camp. I give liger credit for Pumping his tires the last couple of years. Could the Sabres finally hit on a late round pick?

*Asplund was solid. Nothing noticeable but smart plays and that's his game.

Sorry for the long post.

Finally made it back home and tourney was streamed so not sure if it's necessary to throw out my observations but here they are:

*Dahlin looked fantastic the first two games but seemed to tire as it went on. He is such a fluid skater, my wife says he looks like a gazelle out there.

*Mittelstadt, what can you say? His hands are elite. Just elite. He was worth the price of admission today (ok it was free but still). I've been wrong about prospects before but he looks to have that high end skill but unlike Nylander you don't just see it in warm ups and shootouts. He played his best in semi and final game. Which seems to go with his career m.o. so far that he rises when the games get bigger.

*Pekar is one of my new favorite prospects. If you are just some goon taking shots at our top prospects than I have no time for you. But this guy has some skill. If I didn't know he's a recently drafted 4th round pick I would think he's an older, decent prospect. Watch for him moving forward.

*Sheppard, atleast I think that's his name. He looked really good. I checked his gaa and sv percentage from last year on the program and they were great. I think NCAA numbers too. Hope he gets a contract.

*Guhle looked really good. One of the best, if not, the best skater in the organization. He looks ready to be in the top 6 this year but let's see what JBott does. You can tell he's a step above the competition today.

*Oloffson (too lazy to look up spelling) was also excellent. I know he's 22 and therefore should look good but that shot is elite. I hope he gets a long look in training camp. I give liger credit for Pumping his tires the last couple of years. Could the Sabres finally hit on a late round pick?

Sorry for the long post.

No need to apologize. Not lucky enough to attend so I appreciate the insight. I'm starting to get excited about our guys.

Hunter Shepard. Starting goalie for NCAA champion Minnesota-Duluth last year. Listed as 6' tall 210lbs. He turns 23 in November and (I think) is a Junior in the Fall with 2 years of eligibility left. He played 2 years in the NAHL before enrolling at Minnesota-Duluth. If he were to play out those 2 years he'd be coming into pro hockey as a 25 year old rookie. Given that they just won the NCAA Championship, if JBOT is interested this may be a good time to strike with this kid. He bypassed college for hockey once already. Who knows where the kid's heart lies with regard to his studies.

Nice. Thanks for the info. His numbers last year were really good. If I remember correctly it was like goals against of 1.99 and save percentage around .938. Something like that.

Hunter Shepard. Starting goalie for NCAA champion Minnesota-Duluth last year. Listed as 6' tall 210lbs. He turns 23 in November and (I think) is a Junior in the Fall with 2 years of eligibility left. He played 2 years in the NAHL before enrolling at Minnesota-Duluth. If he were to play out those 2 years he'd be coming into pro hockey as a 25 year old rookie. Given that they just won the NCAA Championship, if JBOT is interested this may be a good time to strike with this kid. He bypassed college for hockey once already. Who knows where the kid's heart lies with regard to his studies.

There’s no room for him at this point. He’s not going to sign anywhere just to be thrown in the ECHL. At this stage, Rochester needs someone with more experience.

Sorry for the long post.

How was Glotov?

How was Glotov?

He was good. I feel like he's very high end skill but I just wonder about that size.

Here was a picture of my little guys at the photo both today.

http://fearlessfamilyzone.dpmsmobile.com/FE571D

Edit - I'm not very tech savy so hopefully the link works.

Edited by Derrico

Hopefully that doesn't rub Pekar the wrong way. It's just 3-on-3 shinny, kinda a dick move to hit like that.

I can imagine Dahlin doing this to Eichel in practice and Eichel getting in his face with some shouting and pushing back and forth. I think that would be healthy for the team.

Practice like you play. Learn to keep your head. I hope Dahlin does lay eichel out if he's skating with his head down. Jack doesn't skate like that though.

It hit me this morning what was great about the 3-on-3 this year.

The entertainment value.

Olafsson’s truly sick goals.

Pekar’s rat routine.

The way Pilut likes to dance on the edge.

The relentlessness of Asplund.

The sublime skills of Dahlin.

And the indomitable will and ridiculous hands of Casey Mittlestadt.

It was goddamn fun to watch. And we deserve some fun.

Edited by dudacek

Two things I loved about that interview...

He cuts himself off while saying he likes "piss people off" and realizes he needs to start saying "get in people's heads".

And he's smiling the whole time. 

Edited by LTS

Two things I loved about that interview...

He cuts himself off while saying he likes "piss people off" and realizes he needs to start saying "get in people's heads".

And he's smiling the whole time.

Watched two interviews with the kid and I couldn’t stop smiling either time.

He needs to make it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.