What Would It Take To Trade First Overall?

Brawndo

I know there is zero possibility of Botterill Trading the Dahlin Pick, but Jeremy White’s Secret Sabres Source mentioned teams are calling about pick anyway and some of the names being mentioned as part of the return are quite eye opening.

What return would it take for you to consider trading Dahlin?

I almost started this thread too after listening to WGR. 

They brought up Auston Matthews for Dahlin.  To that I would say sure... if you also include your 1st this year, Nylander and Morgan Rielly. Is that ridiculously high? Absolutely but then Dahlin is freaking unicorn. 

I mean... it's possible to get a return for that pick that might put you in solid playoff contention immediately.

It's also passing on what is being touted as one of the great defensive prospects in the history of the league.  He may not turn into that player but by all accounts it would be unprecedented if he bombed.

If Dahlin was saying there's no way he'd play in Buffalo and we had a Lindros situation on our hands then it would make sense.  Otherwise, I don't see how you can trade the #1 pick.

He becomes more valuable the better he gets no ? Or is he valuable now because of the hype and the unknown quantity he represents ? I would make the pick and see what you get in 2 or 3 years. No way I trade him at the draft. This kid makes everyone talk about Buffalo ( the team ) in a good way. He'll put us in every conversation going forward.

I guess McDavid is the only one if I had to trade him.

Edited by bunomatic

He becomes more valuable the better he gets no ? Or is he valuable now because of the hype and the unknown quantity he represents ? I would make the pick and see what you get in 2 or 3 years. No way I trade him at the draft. This kid makes everyone talk about Buffalo ( the team ) in a good way. He'll put us in every conversation going forward.

Interesting question...

Would anyone have given Quebec the same return for Lindros after he'd played a few years? 

Yup 

It is Chiarelli...

Interesting question...

Would anyone have given Quebec the same return for Lindros after he'd played a few years? 

Part of the reason his value would go down is that you're going to get him CHEAP for the next 3 years or so. If he's a top pair dman in that time, which most project, his value is super high.

I take any trade that turns us into a sustainable Stanley Cup contender.

Use the Lindros trade as a template

Svechnikov, Hanifin, Aho, Slavin

Zadina, Price (50 per cent retained), Weber (50 per cent retained), Mete, next year’s first

Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Tanev, Juolevi, Demko

Etc...

Trades I would take from every team:
Anaheim: Lindholm + Montour + Manson + Rakell for Dahlin + something small

Boston: McAvoy + Pastrnak + DeBrusk

Calgary: Gaudreau + Tkachuk + Hamilton for Dahlin + something small

Carolina: Aho + Pesce + Slavin + something small

Chicago: Nothing 

Colorado: MacKinnon + Rantanen + Girard/Barrie for Dahlin + something small

Columbus: Jones + Panarin, Jones + Werenski + Bjorkstrand, Jones + PLD + something

Dallas: Seguin + Klingberg + Faksa

Detroit: Nothing

Edmonton: McDavid for Dahlin + something small

Florida: Barkov + Huberdeau + Trocheck for Dahlin + something

LAK: Nothing

Minnesota: Granlund + Dumba + Spurgeon + Brodin + Eriksson Ek

Montreal: Nothing

Nashville: Ekholm + Forsberg + something I don't feel like thinking about 

NJD: Hall + Hischier + Butcher 

NYI: Barzal + Leddy + something sizable 

NYR: Probably nothing, but think Skjei, Chytil, Lias Andersson, Zibanejad, and more

Ottawa: Probably nothing

Philly: Provorov + Patrick + Voracek

Phoenix: Keller + OEL + stuff

Pittsburgh: Nothing

St. Louis: Parayko + Tarasenko + Schwartz, probably other trade combos would work 

SJS: Nothing

Tampa: Kucherov + Hedman, Kucherov + Sergachev + Point

Toronto: Matthews + Dermott + Liljegren, Matthews + Marner for Dahlin + something

Vancouver: Petterson + Boeser + Horvat + Juolevi

Vegas: Nothing

Washington: Nothing

Winnipeg: Scheifele + Ehlers + Morrissey, Laine + Morrissey + Trouba + Lowry/Copp, Scheifele + Trouba + something, lots of combinations

These aren't very self- consistent because I didn't think too hard. They would absolutely gut every single team though so obviously none would happen

Your Toronto, Winnipeg trade are absolutely bananas high, and a good many of these other ones would have me looking for the nearest bridge

Good post and effort though, fun to think about

Those two and Tampa are basically the only ones I look at and say "ok, maybe".

What does bananas high mean? Like I'm asking for too much value, or you think I'm smoking something?

Asking for too much. Mean, you could be smoking something

Those two and Tampa are basically the only ones I look at and say "ok, maybe".

Tampa is insanely high too :lol:

Asking for too much. Mean, you could be smoking something

In raw hockey value, I'm asking for too much in every single trade, which is the point :P 

I think any of those make us a candidate to win several playoff series next year and going forward, which is the only way I make a trade, and not a single team on that list would complete any of those 

In raw hockey value, I'm asking for too much in every single trade, which is the point :P 

I think any of those make us a candidate to win several playoff series next year and going forward, which is the only way I make a trade, and not a single team on that list would complete any of those 

Chicago, Detroit, LAK, Montreal, SJ, Vegas, Washington, and Pittsburgh might. You'd be the Derek Jeter of GM's at that point though

Trades I would take from every team:

These aren't very self- consistent because I didn't think too hard. They would absolutely gut every single team though so obviously none would happen

Many of these are good, but we have to give something back in several of them. I nominate Moulson, Pommers, Bogosian, and Larsson. After all, we've got to help the other teams fill out their rosters and manage their caps.

Ummmm....Dahlin could really hurt our chances for a tank and we might not get a high lottery pick next year. Are you guys sure we should take him? This is untrod territory we are entering here

I agree.....don't want to make the playoffs too soon...

What would it take? and I'm trying to be SOMEWHAT realistic here....

-2nd overall pick from Carolina (to take Svechnikov), Hannifan, Carolina's first next year...AND the Canes take Okposo's contract off of the Sabres hands.

or

-I'd consider Jacob Trouba and Laine from Winnipeg.....with the Jets also taking Okposo and his contract also.

I know a great D-man may be even more valuable than a great forward (they can play up to half of a game in ice time in crucial games), but I'll always be a bit more partial to wanting a great forward.....myself as a casual-to-moderate hockey fan....I'd rather see highlight real goals (and a lot of them) than very sound defensive play with some offensive contributions.

Edited by mjd1001

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.