Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which, in hindsight, makes sense in a salary capped league.  It only makes sense for teams to bid on these guys if they have that particular hole AND the cap room to make them work.  Fewer bidders on any one player usually results in a lower price to obtain him.

Though we initially hear of 8-10 teams kicking the tires on any one deal, it seems for most of these guys there are really only 2-3 legit bidders, if even that many.

The full list provided was either expiring contracts or toxic situations.  I'm not comfortable throwing O'Reilly under the same label as Hoffman, but I will call it a case where the relationship between team and player was pretty much done.  These are all scenarios that limit the number of suitors. 

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

The full list provided was either expiring contracts or toxic situations.  I'm not comfortable throwing O'Reilly under the same label as Hoffman, but I will call it a case where the relationship between team and player was pretty much done.  These are all scenarios that limit the number of suitors. 

Right, but that's the only time those types of players get traded.

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Panthers just named Barkov their captain. 

What do you think about that?

I'm not a big fan of teams handing out the C to the highest paid and/or the most talented player on the team. First off, you don't take away the C from a guy who is still on the team (Derek MacKenzie). Second, you don't give the C to a guy who is super shy, gets hurt often and isn't very outspoken. If there is anybody willing of a C on the Panthers it's Vinnie Trocheck. He is the bomb. If I were an opposing team, I would trade for him in a heartbeat over Barkov. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

What do you think about that?

I'm not a big fan of teams handing out the C to the highest paid and/or the most talented player on the team. First off, you don't take away the C from a guy who is still on the team (Derek MacKenzie). Second, you don't give the C to a guy who is super shy, gets hurt often and isn't very outspoken. If there is anybody willing of a C on the Panthers it's Vinnie Trocheck. He is the bomb. If I were an opposing team, I would trade for him in a heartbeat over Barkov. 

Personally, I don't put much stock into letter-wearers to be honest. 

And Barkov is one of my favorite players in the game (Trocheck is excellent too, I'd rather not make it an either or thing haha)

So I might not be the best guy for this conversation ?

20 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Toronto will not meet with William Nylander salary request of 8 m usd.

This opens up for some interesting questions indeed, comments (?)

Things are going to get interesting for the Leafs salray cap wise very soon.  With JT's salary, AM probably getting close to McDavid cap hit, Nylander this year and then Marner.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Larsson & Girgs for Nylander. Throw in a 5th rounder to sweeten the pot. (E5)

I think the pick needs a condition on it, if Nylander scores over 30, then it needs to be a 4th

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I could understand fighting in the regular season. But preseason? Why?

As proffered upthread: So as to make the roster. And earn an NHL paycheck.

Setting aside how one feels about fighting in the NHL (I'm pretty ambivalent, I guess), there's honour in what a hockey-pugilist does.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

As proffered upthread: So as to make the roster. And earn an NHL paycheck.

Setting aside how one feels about fighting in the NHL (I'm pretty ambivalent, I guess), there's honour in what a hockey-pugilist does.

Getting hurt is a great way to make the roster. 

28 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Getting hurt is a great way to make the roster. 

Deslauriers is signed for 2 more seasons for $950k.  He's getting paid either way.

And, if he's injured, he won't be sent down.

So, it seems like it might actually be a good way to make the roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1