Dahlin - Center vs Defense

7+6=13

It's me again.  The guy with questions from "left field".  All the responses in my "Center vs Winger" topic were much appreciated.  I think my Dahlin questions are somewhat related.

Why isn't a player like Dahlin a center? 

What I mean is,  as he's coming up is there a decision made by coaches, his family and he to develop as a defender?  

Do you all think that's a decision made by just his skill set alone or for example - best chance to become an NHL'r or the NHL needs defense, etc?  If so, what makes him not a center?  Is it just because he's just too good at defense to not be one?

He's got obvious offensive skill and I'm just wondering how you all think he becomes a defender vs a Center - especially with the description you gave me on what a center is vs a winger.

As always thanks for the knowledge in advance. 

Edited by 7+6=13

It's me again.  The guy with questions from "left field".  All the responses in my "Center vs Winger" topic were much appreciated.  I think my Dahlin questions are somewhat related.

Why isn't a player like Dahlin a center? 

What I mean is,  as he's coming up is there a decision made by coaches, his family and he to develop as a defender?  

Do you all think that's a decision made by just his skill set alone or for example - best chance to become an NHL'r or the NHL needs defense, etc?  If so, what makes him not a center?  Is it just because he's just too good at defense to not be one?

He's got obvious offensive skill and I'm just wondering how you all think he becomes a defender vs a Center - especially with the description you gave me on what a center is vs a winger.

As always thanks for the knowledge in advance.

There's a lot that goes into it. The probable fact he was a strong backwards skater likely started him down that path. D tend to find a bit more room to get up to speed when starting a rush as well; his coaches early on likely wanted to give him that extra room to be creative. And his probably being able to be nearly as fast going backwards at a young age probably created a lot of turnovers and opportunities for those rushes.

Playing on D, rather than up front also lends itself to a much different perspective & set of responsibilities in the offensive & neutral zones. The D nearly always tries to have the play in front of him & is comfortable in not necessarily leading the rush. Really strong offensive C's have a tendency (at younger ages especially) to be cheating up to the high slot which can cause huge issues in the D zone if that player is expected to play as a D-man.

That he likes to still play physical even though he's noticably skinny for his height (he was noticably thin at the WJC's, which wasn't surprising as he was one of the youngest players in the tourney) would also give coaches assurance to leave him back on D. If he wasn't keen on initiating contact, he'd probably have gotten moved to C at some point to play in more of a Pierre Turgeon style.

There's a lot that goes into it. The probable fact he was a strong backwards skater likely started him down that path. D tend to find a bit more room to get up to speed when starting a rush as well; his coaches early on likely wanted to give him that extra room to be creative. And his probably being able to be nearly as fast going backwards at a young age probably created a lot of turnovers and opportunities for those rushes.

Playing on D, rather than up front also lends itself to a much different perspective & set of responsibilities in the offensive & neutral zones. The D nearly always tries to have the play in front of him & is comfortable in not necessarily leading the rush. Really strong offensive C's have a tendency (at younger ages especially) to be cheating up to the high slot which can cause huge issues in the D zone if that player is expected to play as a D-man.

That he likes to still play physical even though he's noticably skinny for his height (he was noticably thin at the WJC's, which wasn't surprising as he was one of the youngest players in the tourney) would also give coaches assurance to leave him back on D. If he wasn't keen on initiating contact, he'd probably have gotten moved to C at some point to play in more of a Pierre Turgeon style.

This and he may have just liked it. So all of the above and where he liked playing. Some kids just like playing up and others back. Not sure how much choice he might have had. Some kids are less flexible in where they will play...

Top D-men get more ice time than forwards. That is an appeal for some.

Crosby may play 20 minutes while Doughty gets between 25 and 30.

At the minor/youth level though, they probably roll 3 lines and 6 D until there is a need for a goal or a special teams situation. This is more for AAA, AA and A teams.

Some kids want to play a certain position due to a favourite player.

Mastering backwards skating at a young age is often a big factor.

He came from an athletic family, so that likely helped too...his Dad played hockey in what would be like the AHL in Sweden and his Mom was a professional Bandy player(basically soccer on a huge sheet of ice with skates and sticks with big curved blades), so he was probably skating as soon as he was walking.

I started out in mites and squirts as a forward... moved to defense in peewee's and stayed there until college, where I was recruited as a forward because of my size, 5'10 tipping the scales at 165lbs out of high school.   Back then I was too small to play defense no matter how well I could skate or handle the puck.    

Anyway, I think it's best to play some of both while you're developing.    You gain a better understanding of the game by experiencing it from a different perspective.    You see things you otherwise may not see if you were playing a different position.   

I don't know how Dahlin settled on defense, but some kids just have a knack for it.

From the Draft Preview edition of The Hockey News:

"One reason why he can dangle through opponents like a forward does: he was one. Dahlin's childhood idol wasn't, as one might expect, Lidstrom. It was Peter Forsberg. 'I love how he competes every single time he gets out on the ice,' Dahlin said. 'I love how he played.'

So the Forsberg worship forged a combination of dazzling puck skills and ornery intensity. At 13, it clicked for Dahlin that he could use those tools to bring a unique breed of offense from the blueline. He fell in love with the idea and moved to defense. It meant he could stay on the ice longer and control the game from end to end the way forwards couldn't. Dahlin's influence on games started to resemble Karlsson's, and Dahlin ascended from the Swedish junior circuit to the nation's top pro league quickly."

The article also mentions that only 2 18 year old D have ever scored over 40 points, Orr (41) and Housley (66). So it's exciting that he could realistically get there, but also is certainly not the end of the world if he doesn't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.