Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

So... the Buffalo News did a profile piece on Patrick Kane as he turns 30. A little weird, but it was a reminder of the days we all spent wondering about his possible future as a Sabre someday.

Let’s pose the question: with the Blackhawks struggling and looking like they’re in need of a roster flip and some cap flexibility, would you have any interest in trading for Kane? If so, for what?

I would trade KO, a #1 and Nylander for Kane in a heartbeat.  But they have to take KO in the deal.

Kane has 4 more years on his deal at $10.5MM per year; KO has 4 more at $6MM per year.  Kane turns 30 tomorrow; KO turned 30 7 months ago.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would trade KO, a #1 and Nylander for Kane in a heartbeat.  But they have to take KO in the deal.

Kane has 4 more years on his deal at $10.5MM per year; KO has 4 more at $6MM per year.  Kane turns 30 tomorrow; KO turned 30 7 months ago.

Kane easily costs you Nylander + 1 or 2 of those firsts. Probably two of them 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I agree -- Nylander plus a #1 plus KO was my proposal.  And you may be right that it might cost more than 1 of the first-rounders -- not sure I'd do it at that price.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

No thanks. At some point I want the Sabres to acquire someone else’s star player who is in the wrong side of 30 mid-season to put themselves over the top, but it’s not this year. 

If we’re trading a 1st this season, let’s target someone like Montour who can be here for a while. 

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the idea here is we’re not interested in paying what it would realistically take to get him (and that’s fine, I’m not either), but those offers aren’t in the stratosphere of what he’d cost.

My initial thought was something along the lines of Reinhart, two firsts, Guhle and maybe even another prospect would be the actual cost. That’s not something I think I want to do, but I think that’s closer to what his value is.

I think the piece that might intrigue them above all else from our NHL roster is Risto, though.

Edited by Hoss

Tend to agree with Dark.  If Evander wasn't the sort of personality Botts wanted, I can't see Patrick being wanted either.

Weird quirk of mine but I had more willingness to give Evander the benefit of the doubt than I did Patrick.  I think the kid is repulsive.  Don't want to see him here at all.

• Like (+1) 3

I’m still very interested in pursuing Tyler Toffoli. If we could pull off getting him without giving up a first I’d be stoked. I would also be willing to give them a first and next to nothing on top of that to make it happen. Maybe the worst first we get this season and a throw in from the low end of our prospect pool (Bailey, Bryson, Malone).

Mark Stone is the ultimate deadline prize and I’d be willing to give a similar cost. Maybe a little more but he’s expiring.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

So... the Buffalo News did a profile piece on Patrick Kane as he turns 30. A little weird, but it was a reminder of the days we all spent wondering about his possible future as a Sabre someday.

Let’s pose the question: with the Blackhawks struggling and looking like they’re in need of a roster flip and some cap flexibility, would you have any interest in trading for Kane? If so, for what?

No interest at all. He's a certified jerk who I want far away from this young team. Can't believe Botterill would even consider it.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

When I look at the price required to get Erik Karlsson, I question the value being affixed to Kane.

The long-term burden of Kane’s contract is as much a deterrent as Karlsson’s looming free agency.

It's 4 years for a guy who's still very much an elite offensive talent

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's 4 years for a guy who's still very much an elite offensive talent

Jeff Skinner, Ryan O’Reilly, Max Domi and Matt Duchene all have approximately the same point totals as Kane and are younger.

What were they traded for?

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jeff Skinner, Ryan O’Reilly, Max Domi and Matt Duchene all have approximately the same point totals as Kane and are younger.

What were they traded for?

Domi is having a career year with an extremely high shooting %. Skinner was traded from a dumb GM on a bad team with a cheap owner. O'Reilly from two bad teams where he was unhappy and they wanted a change. Duchene from another bad GM to another hilariously dumb GM

Patrick Kane has 3 Cups, a Conn Smyth, and is still a top RW

24 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d rather wait and sign 35yr old Kane, to a 1 year deal as a vet scorer coming home. Otherwise no thanks

I may not be opposed to this eventually. Going to take a massive character overhaul that I’m skeptical will come.

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Domi is having a career year with an extremely high shooting %. Skinner was traded from a dumb GM on a bad team with a cheap owner. O'Reilly from two bad teams where he was unhappy and they wanted a change. Duchene from another bad GM to another hilariously dumb GM

Yea, these situations aren’t really comparable to Kane right now. Karlsson was never going to stay. Duchene was never going to stay. Skinner and O’Reilly seemed to wear out their welcome. Domi was not near what he is right now (which is an indictment of Arizona).

I think it would take a ton to get Kane.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

So wouldn’t you rather look for those types of situations to develop rather than pay a premium price for a depreciating asset?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

So wouldn’t you rather look for those types of situations to develop rather than pay a premium price for a depreciating asset?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for trading for Kane. I'm just pointing out that the value of Kane and those other guys isn't comparable

Edited by WildCard

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

When I look at the price required to get Erik Karlsson, I question the value being affixed to Kane.

The long-term burden of Kane’s contract is as much a deterrent as Karlsson’s looming free agency.

I'm not sure whether you are questioning my proposal for being too cheap to get Kane, or questioning others' proposals for being too expensive.

In any case, would you not pay a few assets like Nylander and a #1 (and maybe a #2 and Guhle) to upgrade from KO to Kane? 

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

And, not to be underestimated, a potentially crippling legal liability.  

How so?  If he does something else?  I don't think there is anything outstanding against him, innit?

Anyone have some names in mind between now and the deadline they find appealing?

I’ve mentioned Mark Stone and Artemi Panarin, the two top forward rentals on the market. I expect Columbus plans to hold the bread man unless they fall apart. Stone I think Ottawa tries very hard to re-sign but could be moved.

Toffoli is a name with term I would love to bring in if you can find a way to “buy low.” I don’t think he’s the 30 goal scorer (unless with Jack) that he was a couple years ago but he’s settling in as a good all-around guy who will pot 20-30 each season.

Derick Brassard could be that second-line center that easily slides down to the third line over time once Mitt’s game matures.

Wayne Simmonds has always been a favorite of mine.

Couple other guys I have interest in if they become available for less than a first-round pick: Justin Williams, Jordan Eberle, Zuccarello.

For an idea who will be out there: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

Edited by Hoss

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Anyone have some names in mind between now and the deadline they find appealing?

I’ve mentioned Mark Stone and Artemi Panarin, the two top forward rentals on the market. I expect Columbus plans to hold the bread man unless they fall apart. Stone I think Ottawa tries very hard to re-sign but could be moved.

Toffoli is a name with term I would love to bring in if you can find a way to “buy low.” I don’t think he’s the 30 goal scorer (unless with Jack) that he was a couple years ago but he’s settling in as a good all-around guy who will pot 20-30 each season.

For an idea who will be out there: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

It will be interesting to see how that list changes as we get closer to the deadline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.