Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Just now, Weave said:

It will be interesting to see how that list changes as we get closer to the deadline.

I haven’t mentioned Pavelski because I don’t imagine he’s going anywhere but boy would I love to bring him in to lead the second line. Or, more ideally, the Sharks realize they can’t keep everyone and decide to move Couture. That’s a guy I would give a ton for.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

How so?  If he does something else?  I don't think there is anything outstanding against him, innit?

There's nothing pending that I'm aware of, but given the location and nature of his high-profile "controversies" I think putting him in Buffalo full-time would be a formula for disaster.  

29 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would add Ryan Dzingel from Ottawa as well. 

1.8 Million Cap Hit, could be added now and might be available for a reasonable contract extension 

It is curious to see what Ott is going to do.  They have 3 terrible contract on IR plus Ryan and Duchene and Stone as UFAs.  They aren't playing bad hockey and are still in the playoff race for now.  I now understand the urgency of moving on from karlsson and get the best offer they could for him.  Wow what a mess they are.  

I'm interested in Dzingel.  He is a Jbot kind of player.  American kid, played at OSU. Former 7th rd pick.  A bargain for Sens and a UFA.  Kind of a bigger RW version of Conor Sheary. No way the Sens trade him to us however.

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'm not sure whether you are questioning my proposal for being too cheap to get Kane, or questioning others' proposals for being too expensive.

In any case, would you not pay a few assets like Nylander and a #1 (and maybe a #2 and Guhle) to upgrade from KO to Kane? 

Others for being too expensive. Players like that are just a tough pay scale fit for a contender and too old for rebuilding team to sacrifice young assets.

Value=what someone is willing to pay and I don’t see too many teams with the assets, the cap space and the window to pay the type of price Hoss suggested.

Maybe 10 teams have the cap space if they get creative. Maybe ten teams can afford to trade a proven cost-controlled U24 top-6 forward plus three good prospects and not completely screw themselves for the future. Maybe a half-dozen teams are a Pat Kane away from being Cup-winner while Kane remains close to the top of his game.

I see maybe two teams where those three qualities intersect and those teams would have to decide if Kane is the right fit and is worth the price to put them over the top.

People underestimate the salary issue. The Sabres had to take Sobotka and Berglund to make O’Reilly fit. Hawks would have to take more contract back to make Kane fit in Buffalo and pretty well anywhere.

I do think your deal is pretty realistic. I wouldn’t do it now because I think our window isn’t until Jack and Rasmus and Casey hit their stride. So ask me in two or three years.

Same reason I wouldn’t gave up Reinhart: there’s a pretty good chance he will be a more effective player than Kane in the bulk of the Rasmus/Jack window. Especially when you factor in the extra $7 million Sam gives us to play with.

Edited by dudacek

38 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Another name to consider as the deadline approaches: Phil Kessel.

The Pens are struggling and there was talk about him being dealt in the offseason. He’s 31 and has three years left at $6.8M each.

phil Kessel for 3 @ 6.8 or Jeff Skinner for 8 @ 8.8?

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

phil Kessel for 3 @ 6.8 or Jeff Skinner for 8 @ 8.8?

Both. Realistically I think this question is tougher than this board will acknowledge. Jeff Skinner isn’t Phil Kessel. I’m not confident he ever will be. And chances are the last couple years of his $8M+ salary won’t be as good as the last few years of Phil’s sub-$7M salary.

I probably take Jeff Skinner over the next three years, though.

Edited by Hoss

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Another name to consider as the deadline approaches: Phil Kessel.

The Pens are struggling and there was talk about him being dealt in the offseason. He’s 31 and has three years left at $6.8M each.

Can you imagine the fans in Tor’s reaction when the Sabres beat the Leafs in the conference finals on a Kessel series clinching goal.

it will be like the scene in the first Kingmen movie.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On Insider Trading the guys said a few interesting (non-Sabres) things:

- St. Louis may look to make a “significant trade” before considering firing Yeo.

- Pens open for business. Only untouchables are Crosby and Malkin. Looking to make hockey deals it sounds like.

- Jordie Benn likely available in Montreal.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

On Insider Trading the guys said a few interesting (non-Sabres) things:

- St. Louis may look to make a “significant trade” before considering firing Yeo.

- Pens open for business. Only untouchables are Crosby and Malkin. Looking to make hockey deals it sounds like.

- Jordie Benn likely available in Montreal.

Well, we now know that one is no longer true.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Well, to make a Trade Buffalo are in a good position to be fair, were now 4th in the league and teams actually talk about Sabres now as in a term of team is good, not bad.

I would love to have Panarin, but to make that trade happen and cap space will cost, maybe to much. Its not like were struggling here, were actually pretty damn fkn good! ?

On 11/18/2018 at 9:29 PM, Hoss said:

Anyone have some names in mind between now and the deadline they find appealing?

I’ve mentioned Mark Stone and Artemi Panarin, the two top forward rentals on the market. I expect Columbus plans to hold the bread man unless they fall apart. Stone I think Ottawa tries very hard to re-sign but could be moved.

Toffoli is a name with term I would love to bring in if you can find a way to “buy low.” I don’t think he’s the 30 goal scorer (unless with Jack) that he was a couple years ago but he’s settling in as a good all-around guy who will pot 20-30 each season.

Derick Brassard could be that second-line center that easily slides down to the third line over time once Mitt’s game matures.

Wayne Simmonds has always been a favorite of mine.

Couple other guys I have interest in if they become available for less than a first-round pick: Justin Williams, Jordan Eberle, Zuccarello.

For an idea who will be out there: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

Kevin Hayes and Ryan Dzingel are intriguing. Not a first round pick intriguing but intriguing none the less. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kevin Hayes and Ryan Dzingel are intriguing. Not a first round pick intriguing but intriguing none the less. 

If we could get Dzingel for a second (would have to be 2020) and a prospect not among our top names I’d be stoked.

Also forgot to mention that Dreger says Panarin’s position might be softening when it comes to Columbus. If he’s not coming here and he’s not going west I want him to stay with the BJs.

4 minutes ago, kas23 said:

For once, I don’t want any trade. Why would we want to disrupt this team’s chemistry right now? Not needed. Let them develop. 

This is a discussion more about between now and the deadline. Chemistry probably won’t last for several months. And adding a worthwhile talent will trump that.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is a discussion more about between now and the deadline. Chemistry probably won’t last for several months. And adding a worthwhile talent will trump that.

While I agree the discussion is a valid one, personally I don't think a trade for a heroic second round run is worth the loss of a first round pick.  Still, on the bolded, I think the Chicagos, LAs, and Pittsburghs of the last 10 seasons would argue with your point.  The magic may not last indefinitely, but it can last far longer than several months.

2 minutes ago, ... said:

While I agree the discussion is a valid one, personally I don't think a trade for a heroic second round run is worth the loss of a first round pick.  Still, on the bolded, I think the Chicagos, LAs, and Pittsburghs of the last 10 seasons would argue with your point.  The magic may not last indefinitely, but it can last far longer than several months.

Those teams are FAR more talented than this team. We’re still not in their world.

Also, each of those teams consistently made trades.

On 11/18/2018 at 10:26 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

It is curious to see what Ott is going to do.  They have 3 terrible contract on IR plus Ryan and Duchene and Stone as UFAs.  They aren't playing bad hockey and are still in the playoff race for now.  I now understand the urgency of moving on from karlsson and get the best offer they could for him.  Wow what a mess they are.  

I'm interested in Dzingel.  He is a Jbot kind of player.  American kid, played at OSU. Former 7th rd pick.  A bargain for Sens and a UFA.  Kind of a bigger RW version of Conor Sheary. No way the Sens trade him to us however.

Is he RW or LW??? I remember him on right side when we played them but see him listed as both online. 

Just now, Hoss said:

Those teams are FAR more talented than this team. We’re still not in their world.

Also, each of those teams consistently made trades.

Haven't we learned anything from this season yet?  A team is more than the sum of its parts.  We dumped two very "talented" players in the off season and look what has happened.  Up until this latest win streak the argument was persistently being made that the Sabres are LESS talented now.  

The chemistry part of the equation describes how one part, or multiple parts, relate to another.  Player X + player Y = +team, while player X + player Z could = -team.  That's how chemistry works, and when you are mixing the right parts, it can last quite some time.

The issue here is that you're combining the core structure with the notion of trades.  The trades aren't for core players, those are typically for pieces to bolster the core.  I think, right now, we're not fully sure yet who defines the core.

As an exercise, who are those who you think should not be traded?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.