TSN: Sabres 2018 Game Plan

WildCard

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres-1.1073301

They have us adding Fabbri and Sheary, and trading RoR. Where RoR is traded to and for what, I don't know

Edit: Apparently to St.Louis for Fabbri, Kostin, and Hutton. That is an absolutely absurd deal for them to predict. We get shafted so hard in that

Edited by WildCard

• 4 weeks later...

I really didn’t want to start a new thread so I am commandeering this one.

I don’t know how many people have noticed but Jbot is already remaking this organization. He has received a few lucky breaks, but the remake continues and the theme is improving depth.

Since March he has done the following:

Signed college draft prospects Borgen and Mittelstadt - it should be noted that many thought Borgen wasn’t going to sign here.

Signed Euro draft prospects Olofsson and Asplund

Signed free agent prospects Pilut (SHL) and Oglevie (NCAA).

Lucked out in the lottery and win the right to draft Rasmus Dahlin 1st overall.

Also previously signed Cliff Pu will be starting his pro career

That is already 8 new players that will be joining the Amerks or Sabres full time this fall. 2 players, Mittelstadt and Dahlin are huge increases in the talent in Buffalo. I also think Pilut and Olofsson could make an impact with the Sabres this season. I also won’t be surprised if Pu is one of the Amerks best players this coming season. These 8 are in addition to former AHL ROY O’Regan who was acquired at the deadline.

Jbot Signed UFA Nelson to a 2 year extension thereby avoiding him going to free agency. Nelson improved our depth in the NHL and looked like he matured into a solid 3rd pair NHL D.

With the season two weeks or less from completion (Go Caps?), the real now begins, but Jbot is off to a great start.

I don’t know how many people have noticed but Jbot is already remaking this organization. He has received a few lucky breaks, but the remake continues and the theme is improving depth.

Signed college draft prospects Borgen and Mittelstadt - it should be noted that many thought Borgen wasn’t going to sign here.

That is already 8 new players that will be joining the Amerks or Sabres full time this fall. 2 players, Mittelstadt and Dahlin are huge increases in the talent in Buffalo. I also think Pilut and Olofsson could make an impact with the Sabres this season. I also won’t be surprised if Pu is one of the Amerks best players this coming season. These 8 are in addition to former AHL ROY O’Regan who was acquired at the deadline.

Jbot Signed UFA Nelson to a 2 year extension thereby avoiding him going to free agency. Nelson improved our depth in the NHL and looked like he matured into a solid 3rd pair NHL D.

With the season two weeks or less from completion (Go Caps?), the real now begins, but Jbot is off to a great start.

I like these moves as well........ however... I'd like to see him be more aggressive in is efforts to move guys like Bogo, Moulson, etc... who are eating up huge chunks of cap space.    I still consider this team one year behind where it should be because of his failure to move any of these guys last offseason and instead gave everybody a clean slate going into camp.    There was years of film on these guys and they should've been dealt with immediately if not sooner.    Now here we are one year later still with a handful of these terrible contracts.  

I like these moves as well........ however... I'd like to see him be more aggressive in is efforts to move guys like Bogo, Moulson, etc... who are eating up huge chunks of cap space.    I still consider this team one year behind where it should be because of his failure to move any of these guys last offseason and instead gave everybody a clean slate going into camp.    There was years of film on these guys and they should've been dealt with immediately if not sooner.    Now here we are one year later still with a handful of these terrible contracts.

But you can't move something no one else wants.

No one. Wants them. 

Also Gorges is gone, Moulson is demoted, I think Botterill likes Bogosian for now.

Moulson is already gone and Bogo's next injury will likely seal his fate as a LTIR fixture.  Their cap hits only become an issue if they prevent Jbot from doing something else with that money.  Right now, with so many kids on the roster that Sabres have plenty of cap space to do whatever Jbot wants to do without worrying about Bogo and Moulson bad deals.   

Signed 2 college picks. Signed 2 euro picks. None of those picks sre his picks. Signed a College FA AHL player, and an undrafted young euro D man.

Not a high bar.

What the ###### is he supposed to do?

That is exactly my point. What he’s accomplished this offseason is 90% maintenance. He’ll need to do more than sign our picks and our depth FAs before he deserves an attaboy.

Edited by We've

Except that Borgen and Olofsson were thought to be choosing to be FAs, Mittelstadt was considering returning to college, Nelson would have been a UFA in July 1 and Pilut was the Norris equivalent in one of top 4 leagues in the world.

Awesome. He convinced kids we drafted to sign here. I want to have his babies.

Except that Borgen and Olofsson were thought to be choosing to be FAs, Mittelstadt was considering returning to college, Nelson would have been a UFA in July 1 and Pilut was the Norris equivalent in one of top 4 leagues in the world.

Who has thought Olofsson was going to choose free agency? I never once saw that reported anywhere or talked about on here. He wasn't able to sign until this season and he signed at literally almost the first opportunity. 

Who has thought Olofsson was going to choose free agency? I never once saw that reported anywhere or talked about on here. He wasn't able to sign until this season and he signed at literally almost the first opportunity.

There were no credible reports of it, but seem to recall a poster or 2 worrying about it anyway "because Buffalo." The concern did not gain traction.

No one. Wants them.

Also Gorges is gone, Moulson is demoted, I think Botterill likes Bogosian for now.

Datsyuks contract got traded, so did Prongers and Clarkson's..... this guys were not even playing at the time. Moulson and Bogo are at least live breathing hockey players. He'll need to get creative like those other GMs, but that might asking to much of his influence as a rookie GM unfortunately.

But you can't move something no one else wants.

Pronger, Clarkson and Datsyuk would disagree.

Moulson is already gone and Bogo's next injury will likely seal his fate as a LTIR fixture. Their cap hits only become an issue if they prevent Jbot from doing something else with that money. Right now, with so many kids on the roster that Sabres have plenty of cap space to do whatever Jbot wants to do without worrying about Bogo and Moulson bad deals.

Moulson will have contributed nothing to this team for the past 2 seasons, same with Bogo, and to the tune of $20m in cap hit.

JBOTs should've gotten creative with Vegas to get them to take Bogo (Moulson wouldn't waive his NMC) but instead of moving he ignored history and it was repeated.

Moulson will have contributed nothing to this team for the past 2 seasons, same with Bogo, and to the tune of $20m in cap hit.

JBOTs should've gotten creative with Vegas to get them to take Bogo (Moulson wouldn't waive his NMC) but instead of moving he ignored history and it was repeated.

it takes two to tango.  Odds are that Jbot mentioned it to LV and they just laughed.  

Datsyuks contract got traded, so did Prongers and Clarkson's..... this guys were not even playing at the time. Moulson and Bogo are at least live breathing hockey players. He'll need to get creative like those other GMs, but that might asking to much of his influence as a rookie GM unfortunately.

Pronger, Clarkson and Datsyuk would disagree.

For starters, Pronger, Clarkson and Datsyuk were either on LTIR or whatever Arizona did to save their roster spot with Datsyuk. This allowed the team picking up the contract to not have to worry about roster space and rather merely the temporary cap implications. Moulson and Bogo aren't in either category, their cap isn't going to be able to be made disappear. 

The Pronger trade to Arizona was the least costly as Pronger's 1 mil in total salary over 2 years, with a 4+ mil cap hit, was useful to Arizona's cheap owner. Additionally they sent away Sam Gagner;s contract which they had been tempted to buyout, and received Nicklas Grossmann for a conditional 4th/3rd.

The Clarkson trades are on the opposite end of the spectrum as both trades had more of an impact. First Toronto sent him to CBJ for Nathan Horton (LTIR Guy) meaning while they gave themselves potential cap space, they would still need to get under the cap at the season's start. The second trade was CBJ with Vegas, and they gave up a 2017 1st and a 2019 2nd. However, he too is now an LTIR member.

Lastly we have Datsyuk's awkward  departure in which had a strangely interesting result as Detroit somehow received another pick in the trade while moving down 4 spots. That being said Arizona got the best player of the draft picks.....

Bogosian actually has a higher salary than his cap hit thus Arizona would be unlikely to be interested in him while Moulson has 1 year left on his contract an would be a waste to spend assets to remove 4 mil when we really don't need it.  

Thank you wookie. I was just about to talk about the why and how of those contracts being traded.

Also are you adding cap hit each year Pi? Is that how you get 20? That's flawed to me. You can't bank cap year to year. Bogo was on ltir this year making his cap hit meaningless. Moulson is demoted making his cap hit less. The Sabres weren't close to max cap so again, what did this prevent them from doing?

Signed 2 college picks. Signed 2 euro picks. None of those picks sre his picks. Signed a College FA AHL player, and an undrafted young euro D man.

Not a high bar.

Mittelstadt was his pick.

Thank you wookie. I was just about to talk about the why and

how of those contracts being traded.

Also are you adding cap hit each year Pi? Is that how you get 20? That's flawed to me. You can't bank cap year to year. Bogo was on ltir this year making his cap hit meaningless. Moulson is demoted making his cap hit less. The Sabres weren't close to max cap so again, what did this prevent them from doing?

To my knowledge Bogo was never on LTIR, just IR.

Only the tinfoiliest of posters thought any of these things. The grounded fans understood the remoteness of any of those things occurring.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.