Carlson or Karlsson

sweetlou

Age very similar.

Karlsson a Swede which will help Dahlin.

Karlsson would cost more in Cap Hit.

Karlsson better offensively and defensively.

We would have to give up players to get Karlsson, Carlson is an UFA?

Would you be willing to trade Risto, and some prospects to get Karlsson?

Trade Risto for forward help and sign Carlson. Add Mittelstadt and you have a nearly instant rebuild.

I was just going to say that I like this idea better than the one that dudacek eloquently summed up. 

It's actually eerie how similar they are. I will say, you're not hurting your team as much giving up Risto, but Carlson doesn't add as much as Tavares does. They're the perfect mirrored situations.

I like ROR better than Risto, but ROR will be 32 when Dahlin is 22, and who sees Dahlin being a Norris winner before age 22? 

Such an interesting discussion.

I think we have to remember players can sign anywhere we want.

Yesterday was a huge step forward but Dahlin is still only 18 and I don't think that alone will attract free agents.  Unless, the player has another reason to come to Buffalo, they are still a last place club.

My odds of signing a guy like Tavares went from 1% chance pre lottery to 10% post. still extremely unlikely he will want to play here.

Same with the defencemen. Also Karlsson is going to cost a ton, didn't we all just complain about Murray giving away the farm for Kane and ROR?

Neither, draft and develop.  If you really want to go all in on defense, trade back up into the first round to procure someone like McIsaac, Wilde, Woo, or someone in the middle to tail end of the first round that you feel is a good fit.  Develop them properly.  The only way you're signing Karlsson or Carlson is if you've traded O'Reilly and possibly Okposo, or you've bought out Bogosian. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Neither, draft and develop.  If you really want to go all in on defense, trade back up into the second round to procure someone like McIsaac, Wilde, Woo, or someone in the middle to tail end of the first round that you feel is a good fit.  Develop them properly.  The only way you're signing Karlsson or Carlson is if you've traded O'Reilly and possibly Okposo, or you've bought out Bogosian. 

I don't know about that one. We're going to have $18 million in cap space this year to work with. Even if you use, say, 7.5 of that on Carlson, that's a lot of money left over. We're getting a couple defensemen on ELCs to fill roster space, plus Mittelstadt and I'm sure at least a couple of the Rochester kids as depth pieces among forwards. Johnson and Lehner took up $6.5 million this year...next year it'll be Ullmark and somebody else for probably half that. Then next year we have Moulson and Pominville off the books. It's definitely doable, I think.

Trade O’Reilly for a defenceman.

Sign Tavares and you have an instant rebuild.

Like Flagg, I think it's an interesting discussion on which piece to move out. Realistically, I think we could lure Carlson here with money; I don't think the same could be said for Tavares.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.