Active Ex Sabres team

sweetlou

So I took one ex Sabres from every team and want to get opinion on if the exes are better than the current...

Anaheim- Ryan Miller, Derek Grant

Arizona- N/A

Boston- Tim Schaller, Brian Gionta

Calgary- Chris Stewart

Carolina- N/A

Chicago- Cody Franson

Colorado- Nikita Zadorov, JT Compher

Columbus- Thomas Vanek

Dallas- N/A

Detroit- N/A

Edmonton- Zack Kassian

Florida- Mark Pysyk, Jamie McGinn

LA- Torrey Mitchell

Minnesota- Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligno

Montreal- Paul Byron

Nashville- N/A

New Jersey- Drew Stafford

NY Islanders- Steve Bernier

NY Rangers- N/A

Ottawa- N/A

Philadelphia- Michal Neuvirth

Pittsburgh- Chad Ruhwedel

San Jose- Evander Kane

St Louis- Chris Butler

Tampa Bay- Cory Coanchor

Toronto- Dominic Moore

Vancouver- N/A

Vegas- Brayden McNabb, William Carrier

Washington- N/A

Winnipeg- Tyler Myers, Joel Armia

So there are a few young defenseman that would look good on the Sabres, (Pysyk, Myers, McNabb, Zadorov), and a few depth players that would have filled in nicely on the third and fourth line, (Schiller, Foligno, Byron, and McGinn).

Like I have stated before the depth on the d and the ability to have a third a fourth line that can score goals has been what has hurt the Sabres for years now.

I'm not convinced that this is any different from any other NHL team actively engaging in trades over the last decade.

Boston, a cup favorite, could field a playoff team in this regard. 

Wheeler (91 points) - Seguin (40G, 78P) - Kessel (92)

Eriksson (40 point pace) - Thornton (60 pt pace) - Reilly Smith (60 points)

Spooner (41) - Soderberg (37) - 

Boychuk - Hamilton

Miller - 

Just off the top of my head.

I'm not convinced that this is any different from any other NHL team actively engaging in trades over the last decade.

Boychuk - Hamilton

Miller - 

With guys like that why make trades unless you get something back in the future.

Wasn’t Halak a Sabre? Also Nilsson is with the Canucks, as is former Sabres pick and farm hand Alex Biega. Sabres pick Compher is in the NHL with the Avs.

For the most part, it rhymes with "Chiarelli"

I believe Chiarelli has traded away 7 of the top 25 scorers in the NHL this season.

Or Points per game or something. And that miiiiight count Barzal who was taken with the pick he traded.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I looked this up to find all the d that have been lost.  Most of the forwards except Vanek and Kane were 3rd and 4th line role players.  But we traded those players for picks.  My point is every good team has a solid 3rd and 4th line, which the Sabres haven't had in years.  Many times the Sabres take 3rd and 4th line players and try and move them up to the top lines.

I looked this up to find all the d that have been lost. Most of the forwards except Vanek and Kane were 3rd and 4th line role players. But we traded those players for picks. My point is every good team has a solid 3rd and 4th line, which the Sabres haven't had in years. Many times the Sabres take 3rd and 4th line players and try and move them up to the top lines.

You know why? Because they don't have that many good players. What kind of post is this? It's not like they are sitting Malkin for Josefson.

You know how you get good 3rd and 4th liners? You get better players and push your current 1st and 2nd liners down to those lines. With the possible exception of a shutdown center for your 3rd line.

Yes

Better than the current group, doubtful but debatable. Good enough to be a competent playoff caliber D. Hardly.

You know why? Because they don't have that many good players. What kind of post is this? It's not like they are sitting Malkin for Josefson.

You know how you get good 3rd and 4th liners? You get better players and push your current 1st and 2nd liners down to those lines. With the possible exception of a shutdown center for your 3rd line.

Better than the current group, doubtful but debatable. Good enough to be a competent playoff caliber D. Hardly.

Add in Risto, Scandella and Ghule and I say Yes! Edited by North Buffalo

Nice comprehensive list, and it tells you something doesn't it? If you forget about the ancient history of guys like Gionta, who played well prior to the Sabres, there isn't much on that list anyone would want is there? Schaller's obviously a solid 3rd/4th liner, the Winnipeg guys are a no brainer and of course Kane, so you see how few there are and that pretty much explains why this team sucks so bad for so long. We simply don't know how to draft. 

or at least haven't, too early to tell on JBot. 

Nice comprehensive list, and it tells you something doesn't it? If you forget about the ancient history of guys like Gionta, who played well prior to the Sabres, there isn't much on that list anyone would want is there? Schaller's obviously a solid 3rd/4th liner, the Winnipeg guys are a no brainer and of course Kane, so you see how few there are and that pretty much explains why this team sucks so bad for so long. We simply don't know how to draft. 

Only half agree, D draft pretty decent, forwards not so much and definetly not enough good ones to trade any away.

Boychuk - Hamilton

Miller - 

Any team that had Chiarelli as their GM is cheating for this  :P

Nice comprehensive list, and it tells you something doesn't it? If you forget about the ancient history of guys like Gionta, who played well prior to the Sabres, there isn't much on that list anyone would want is there? Schaller's obviously an interchangeable 3rd/4th liner, the Winnipeg guys are a no brainer and of course Kane, so you see how few there are and that pretty much explains why this team sucks so bad for so long. We simply don't know how to draft. 

FTFY.

only one that would make a difference is Evander Kane and we more or less had to move him and get something in return (even if it wasn;t much).  The rest are fringe players or players you certainly would not build a team around. and this team needs rebuilding badly.

Exactly what I was talking about...For five years before the Sabres got Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, and Okposo they had third and fourth liners playing on the top lines.  

Girgensons, Larsson, Stafford, Ennis, Connolly, Roy, Hodgson, Hecht, Foligno, Leino, Stewart, and Gionta all played on the top lines from 2010 to 2015.  This group is nothing but a bunch of third and fourth line players.  

My point is if they had better first line players like they do now with these players filling in the third and fourth lines they would be a much more rounded team.

Boychuk - Hamilton

Miller - 

You really can't do this without considering what came back in return. Kessel got you Seguin+, for example. 

You really can't do this without considering what came back in return. Kessel got you Seguin+, for example. 

Why can't I make a list of ex-members of an NHL organization? That's exactly what OP did. I'm not claiming that Boston is wrong and horrible, though some of the players listed should not have been shed for what they were. My point is that the exercise is probably the same for any team that involves itself in trading regularly, and doesn't mean much about your current standing, as evidenced by an ex-cup-contender group that could contend for a cup themselves.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Anyone who thinks this team of ex-Sabres in the playoffs would be a playoff contender is drunk.

The centres would be Tim Schaller, Derek Grant, Torrey Mitchell and Dominic Moore, FFS.

Your core is Kane, Myers, Armia, Vanek and Zadorov?

Murray and Darcy must have done a much better job as traders than I thought.

Anyone who thinks this team of ex-Sabres in the playoffs would be a playoff contender is drunk.

The centres would be Tim Schaller, Derek Grant, Torrey Mitchell and Dominic Moore, FFS.

Your core is Kane, Myers, Armia, Vanek and Zadorov?

Murray and Darcy must have done a much better job as traders than I thought.

I AM drunk and even I think they suck.

Love Vanek, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.