Game Experience: Russ Brandon weighs in

LGR4GM

The entire concept of sitting on ones coat all game is ridiculous. I don't bring a coat in for that reason.

There should be coat checks.

That's why you put the coat behind you, not under your ass.

And imagine the line for the coat check after a tight game.

It's the timing that's total BS

I get your point, but it's not Brandon's fault that Harrington wrote his article for today's paper.

It's probably a personal and nostalgic thing, but I love parking a little ways out, walking to Pearl Street, then walking to the game in the cold. I know it's not for everyone. And I know that removing this piece of the puzzle will open up doors to the new casual fan without losing me as a hardcore fan. But still, I like to walk and be cold :P

It's part of my routine here in Columbus too because I found a free lot not far away from Nationwide. I regularly chat with the cop manning the crosswalks after the games as I wait at long lights lol.

I remember as a kid going to the Aud...make that turn around the corner and let that cool January breeze hit you just right...

No it's Brandon phobia. Some fans seem to convulse at his very name. Then there's the conspiracy bunch who see a Brandon behind every tree.

Russ Brandon rigged the 2015 draft lottery.

My only real issue with that article is referring to KBC as "aging." It's still only 20-some years old? It's not brand new by any stretch but it's not the Coliseum either.

A fresh set of paint and lower concession prices would help though. Also I find the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame to be kind of sad. Something like that should be somewhere more prominent, not tucked away in a corner across from the Sabrestore.

I just finished reading the article on the arena and Brandon. We also have two new state of the art stadiums here in Atlanta. Although I haven’t seen the Sabres in Buffalo in years, I can make some suggestions to make the experience in Buffalo better.

1) fix the damn team

2) fix the damn team

3) fix the damn team

Also

4) no excuse for bad maintenance.

5) lower concession prices. At the Falcons stadium the prices are half of what I’ve seen at other stadiums. Also most of the vendors are local. Local pizza, local BBq, local burger joints and even some local up scale dinning. All at fair prices.

At the Falcons stadium, there is a corridor that is 100 yards long painted to look like a football field. There are bars and concessions with standing tables around pillars with images of the players, with the player’s background and career highlights. TV are everywhere . The ceiling lighting matches the hashmarks on the field and light up to indicate where the ball is.

6) have 41 events at each home game. T-shirt night, bobbleheads, concerts, youth hockey between periods. I wouldn’t mind a Amerks/Sabres double header. Have an alumni/Sabres double header. Put alumni and current players autograph photos in random programs. Try things to get people willing to come to the games as the team improves, but then keep doing it even after the team becomes a contender.

7) Do special things for the season ticket holders. Give them the right to buy extra tickets for certain games before they go on sale to the public. Have alumni autograph sessions for the season ticket holders. Whatever.

8) Lower prices for next season as an apology for this one.

9) at the new Braves stadium we have an area called the Battery, which is a pedestrian area next to the stadium featuring bars, restaurants and shops. It’s open all year and all time. It is a gathering spot on game days, but we live near the stadium and often go to the battery on non game days for lunch and dinner. Many just go to the battery to hang out even during the games. It’s alot of fun.

10) Fix the damn team.

If a poster on the internet from hundreds of miles away can do a better job in 5 minutes than the years that have built up to the pitiful display we have today, I don't know why the people in charge of it now still have jobs

Russ Brandon rigged the 2015 draft lottery.

My only real issue with that article is referring to KBC as "aging." It's still only 20-some years old? It's not brand new by any stretch but it's not the Coliseum either.

A fresh set of paint and lower concession prices would help though. Also I find the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame to be kind of sad. Something like that should be somewhere more prominent, not tucked away in a corner across from the Sabrestore.

Agree that it's not aging, but it hasn't been well cared for.  I've been harping about this for years.

And I think you're right about the GBHoF.  Someone, a few years ago, proposed putting it out on the side of HarborCenter facing the naval park.  Who was that?

If a poster on the internet from hundreds of miles away can do a better job in 5 minutes than the years that have built up to the pitiful display we have today, I don't know why the people in charge of it now still have jobs

I’m available for the right price.

One other idea. UGA has a reward system for students who attend sporting events other then football. The school has t-shirts on the seats the kids collect them. The more events, the more t-shirts and points and you can select UGA merchandise from an online catalog to spend your points. Between NHL games, Jr Sabres, Amerks and alumni charity events, lots of opportunities to earn points.

I just finished reading the article on the arena and Brandon. We also have two new state of the art stadiums here in Atlanta. Although I haven’t seen the Sabres in Buffalo in years, I can make some suggestions to make the experience in Buffalo better.

1) fix the damn team

2) fix the damn team

3) fix the damn team

Also

4) no excuse for bad maintenance.

5) lower concession prices. At the Falcons stadium the prices are half of what I’ve seen at other stadiums. Also most of the vendors are local. Local pizza, local BBq, local burger joints and even some local up scale dinning. All at fair prices.

At the Falcons stadium, there is a corridor that is 100 yards long painted to look like a football field. There are bars and concessions with standing tables around pillars with images of the players, with the player’s background and career highlights. TV are everywhere . The ceiling lighting matches the hashmarks on the field and light up to indicate where the ball is.

6) have 41 events at each home game. T-shirt night, bobbleheads, concerts, youth hockey between periods. I wouldn’t mind a Amerks/Sabres double header. Have an alumni/Sabres double header. Put alumni and current players autograph photos in random programs. Try things to get people willing to come to the games as the team improves, but then keep doing it even after the team becomes a contender.

7) Do special things for the season ticket holders. Give them the right to buy extra tickets for certain games before they go on sale to the public. Have alumni autograph sessions for the season ticket holders. Whatever.

8) Lower prices for next season as an apology for this one.

9) at the new Braves stadium we have an area called the Battery, which is a pedestrian area next to the stadium featuring bars, restaurants and shops. It’s open all year and all time. It is a gathering spot on game days, but we live near the stadium and often go to the battery on non game days for lunch and dinner. Many just go to the battery to hang out even during the games. It’s alot of fun.

10) Fix the damn team.

+1

Of course Atlanta has 5X the number of people and about 100X the amount of money.

With that said, most of these are "easy" to do, at least, you think they would be.  I was back visiting family and went to a couple of games, it's depressing.  At a minimum do #4 and #5

Oh, and FIX THE DAMN TEAM !!!!!!

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

+1

Of course Atlanta has 5X the number of people and about 100X the amount of money.

With that said, most of these are "easy" to do, at least, you think they would be.  I was back visiting family and went to a couple of games, it's depressing.  At a minimum do #4 and #5

Oh, and FIX THE DAMN TEAM !!!!!!

I’d like to think most of the ideas are possible even in Buffalo. Russ wants to make the fan plaza better, why not try the Battery idea. 41 events at the home dates also shouldn’t be the hard. How much are t-shirts, cheap sunglasses and a few bobbleheads? We were first with the outdoor game, why not an Amerks/Sabres double header?

Of course all this doesn't touch the game presentation. Near the top of my pet peeves is the inability to announce a goal just before or at or maybe even just after the ensuing faceoff. It shouldn't take three to five minutes to figure out Eichel scored from Pominville and Ristolainen.

The entire concept of sitting on ones coat all game is ridiculous. I don't bring a coat in for that reason.

There should be coat checks.

#additionalrevenuestream

I’d like to think most of the ideas are possible even in Buffalo. Russ wants to make the fan plaza better, why not try the Battery idea. 41 events at the home dates also shouldn’t be the hard. How much are t-shirts, cheap sunglasses and a few bobbleheads? We were first with the outdoor game, why not an Amerks/Sabres double header?

Uh 6 hours of outdoor hockey in subfreezing temps sounds like a logistocal nightmare. Especially how hard Buffalo fans get after it.

Although it does sound like a wonderful Uber opportunity.

Improve the team and they will come. I don't care about the funky old hotdog smell or the chipped urinals. I may never make it to Buffalo to see a game. I'm one of the thousands of Sabres fans in absentia. I want my team to compete at the highest level. The team you represent sucks Mr. Brandon.

GA:  That Atlanta concession pricing thing, in a football stadium, is less than a year old; don't start crowing about it.

Of course all this doesn't touch the game presentation. Near the top of my pet peeves is the inability to announce a goal just before or at or maybe even just after the ensuing faceoff. It shouldn't take three to five minutes to figure out Eichel scored from Pominville and Ristolainen.

It's been that way since I was a child.

This is a great article about possible upgrades to KBC, it’s from Chris Ostrander who runs Two in the Box

https://twointhebox.com/2018/03/29/keybank-center-upgrades-wishlist/

1) No it doesn't need a facelift.

2) That patio gets used all the time; the author needs to remember that the facility is not dedicated to hockey.

3)  Yes the concourse needs updates.

4) No one cares about the Lexus Club, which, again, is used more for non-hockey events than it is for hockey games.

5)  I don't know a thing about the backstage club.

6)  Yes the seating areas need improvement and we all know it.

7)  What party deck?  What is this person talking about?

8)  Repeat of 3.

Edited by Eleven

I see a a lot of fans not buying season tickets for next year. Because of DFL.

I read a timely written article with the Sabres head salesmen talking about fixing things that should have been fixed in years past.

No conspiracy theory, just a slick used car salesmen doing his job.

seasons should plummet

These are not mutually exclusive goals, and ...

...Brandon is doing exactly what Brandon SHOULD be doing.  Focusing on the fan experience and leaving the hockey to the hockey folks. This isn't meddling in player personnel.  This is marketing and making sure the arena is nice.

Don't you just leave your coat at your seat until the end of the game like everyone else?

Yup, the pure hatred of Brandon in Buffalo is because people think he is meddling in everything because for a few seasons he was named as the GM for the Bills

But he is doing exactly what he should be doing (fixing the fan experience and keeping people buying tickets) and has actually been doing a great job with both teams considering ticket sales havent been an issue for either team even though they haven't been big winners. 

But as many have said, the best way to make the fans experience better and continue selling tickets is to fix the team and win hockey games, then no one cares if the arena is a dump......

As for the comments about vegas, kinda sad that an expansion team is now being used as a potential model on how to improve your teams fan entertainment/interest.....

We'll see how serious they are about trying to keep fans by what they do w/ ticket prices. If they go up AT ALL, they will realistically look at losing 1/4 - 1/3 of their ST base.

This season was beyond frustrating. The bobble head was nice, but didn't realistically move the needle at all as far as sentiment is concerned.

Should they actually drop prices minimally, it would go a long way towards showing they actually understand how frustrated people are w/ this very poor product. It took the better part of 7 seasons, but they've made demand for their wares VERY elastic.

The ONLY way IMHO they can get away w/ raising prices is by signing Tavares. Winni g the lottery @ the end of this month won't do it.

And, yes, this thread is about venue improvements, but the only truly meaningful improvements are to put a quality team on the ice (in the home town colors, we've seen a lot of quality teams sitting on the visitor's bench) & stop taking the fans (all of them) for granted.

Bring back the open practice. Bring back the Sabres Carnival. Bring back the STH party. Have events for the fans that aren't assinine unlike "paint the ice day." WTF?!? Seriously? Paint the ice day? Smh.

Enough of the rant. Time for bed. Have to get work done in the AM.

Yup, the pure hatred of Brandon in Buffalo is because people think he is meddling in everything because for a few seasons he was named as the GM for the Bills

But he is doing exactly what he should be doing (fixing the fan experience and keeping people buying tickets) and has actually been doing a great job with both teams considering ticket sales havent been an issue for either team even though they haven't been big winners. 

But as many have said, the best way to make the fans experience better and continue selling tickets is to fix the team and win hockey games, then no one cares if the arena is a dump......

As for the comments about vegas, kinda sad that an expansion team is now being used as a potential model on how to improve your teams fan entertainment/interest.....

In their defense, it is Vegas afterall.  That city is not short of people experienced in that sort of thing.

In their defense, it is Vegas afterall. That city is not short of people experienced in that sort of thing.

I find Pegula sports to be very short of anyone with any sort of creativity or understanding of the fan base. Botterill seems to get it more then the other side of the house.

I find Pegula sports to be very short of anyone with any sort of creativity or understanding of the fan base. Botterill seems to get it more then the other side of the house.

Let's not go too far.  Remember some of the things that we saw immediately when they took over?  Things like free programs, the warning bell, etc.?  There were innovative and fan-oriented changes when they bought the team; we're just used to those changes now.

I like the local vendor concept.

Have a section that's for local vendors only. They can rent a *stall* and peddle their wares, Broadway Market type set up. Beef on Weck, wings, pizza, done right and not massed produced in a factor then flash frozen and microwaved at KBC for your consumption.

Let's not go too far. Remember some of the things that we saw immediately when they took over? Things like free programs, the warning bell, etc.? There were innovative and fan-oriented changes when they bought the team; we're just used to those changes now.

Oh come on. Free programs and a warning bell are so miniscule.

Also that was in 2011. 7 years ago.

Edited by Skurk Liger

Oh come on. Free programs and a warning bell are so miniscule.

Also that was in 2011. 7 years ago.

Just saying, it's not like they've done nothing.  The music FINALLY, as of this season, is at lower volume (one of my biggest complaints), the food is better (still not good enough, but again, one of my biggest complaints).  Didn't they also start that whole fan experience where the players walk out in the tunnel (which I hate because I think it distracts the players)?  There might be a legit "what have you done for me lately" here (except for the music situation), but it's not like they've done nothing at all.

They need to lower concession prices. Create adult only areas. Change the music selection. Make sabretooth fun again. Upgrade the arena to have more historical Sabres stuff. Add lights and interactive displays to the concourse, especially the 300.

That's just a start.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.