Forwards Next Year - Status Quo or Major Overhaul?

GASabresIUFAN

We're definitely lacking in talent number one. Number two, as much as I supported the hire of Housley I'm confessing my doubts now that he's the type of coach we need. Not expecting or promoting the idea of firing him this early but this team appears to need at times a good kick in the pants. Housley is not appearing to get to these guys. Never thought I'd say we need a Torts type coach but we could use some of that it seems.

What is your opinion of Chris Taylor as a disciplinarian.

so we are going to keep signing aging vets and leave Nylander bailey fasching in Rochester? It is time these guys are brought up and given a chance (and by that I don't mean throw them out for 5 or 10 games and just because they don't score a goal a game send them back down dejected...do what Toronto did which was they threw out all their young guys and stuck by them as they learned. They are still having bumps along the way but better that then just signing aging vets...we absolutely must find away to get Nylander in the NHL now

Edited by Sabre fan

so we are going to keep signing aging vets and leave Nylander bailey fasching in Rochester? It is time these guys are brought up and given a chance (and by that I don't mean throw them out for 5 or 10 games and just because they don't score a goal a game send them back down dejected...do what Toronto did which was they threw out all their young guys and stuck by them as they learned. They are still having bumps along the way but better that then just signing aging vets...we absolutely must find away to get Nylander in the NHL now

I'd be on board with a flushing of the fringe veterans. Bailey and Baptiste should no longer be waiver exempt so if they take the place of guys like Josefson and Nolan that's fine by me. Keep Rodriguez up and hope Nylander and CJ Smith can replace Pouliot/Pominville. Then guys like Pu and Asplund can backfill the empty slots in Rochester.

We may need a few more players though because I'd like to find replacements for Girgensons and Larsson too even though they are both relatively cheap.

Edited by Alkoholist

I would do anything possible to make sure Pouliot, Nolan, Pominville, and Okposo are simply not options to ice next season. Two of those are easy. I'd definitely buy out Pominville. The challenge is to add enough talent to supercede an NHL coach's inclination to lean on KO's history as a performer in this league versus his current state. I was at a game or two while home and watched him out of boredom, and we don't need to worry about that contract becoming a Moulson - we need to worry about what to do about it, because it IS already a Moulson. Horrific anchor of a player, whose skating and puckhandling have deteriorated so much over the past couple months that he literally can't even get in a position to show us whether or not his shot has as well. Honest to god, tell me the last KO glorious scoring chance that wasn't a gift wrapped PP shot from his spot, which is ruining the fluidity of our power play every time they go out there?

And I had softened on Phil mid-season, but this lineup tonight is an abomination and worthy of a public tar-and-feathering. These are important experimental games, and we often lamented the fact that we got the same old stuff during them last season. Well, it's even worse right now. Breaking up BY FAR our best forward duo in 90-23, there better be a good reason? Oh, it's for Sam at center? I don't really care about that anymore but I'm listening....He's centering Jordan Nolan and Larsson. Unbelievable. At least ROR will get help in his new role as horrifically burdened defensive C? Oh, KO, and a fourth liner (one i like) in Wilson. Great. These sacrifices surely let us load Jack up somehow right? POMINVILLE? Talk about being gift-wrapped spots you don't deserve, I'm sure that message of accountability really holds these guys. Do all on the ice because you're ten years behind the play, and get the best spot you can get as a reward, while Bailey sits over our other bastion of accountability and playing the right way, Sir Benoit Pouliot, who can show these kids a thing or two about loafing and getting as little as you can out of your god-given talent while still being filthy rich when you're done. In the process destroying a line that was both fun and terrifying to watch. 

And man, ERod is a smart, smart player, and you can really see that live. If he had a normal person's body instead of a tenth-grader's body, he would be Pominville in his prime. 

We don't need to target bottom-line-C, we need to target a valid 3C like the Predators did with Bonino. Bozak is flawed, but if you can get him for 3-4 years, do it. It's important if you want ROR maximizing the impact he can have on your team. It's time to stop around.

The initial post said Larsson and Girgensons would be excellent trade bait.  For what?  They're both huge disappointments, especially the latter.  This roster needs major shock therapy.  I liked what I saw of Rodrigues last season.  He continues to progress and should be paired with decent offensive talent.  That rookie line has potential.  Don't ruin a prospect like Mittelstadt by treating him like a savior and putting too much pressure on him.  Let him develop at his own pace, even if it means having him start at Rochester next season.  The offense will slowly come around (they've scored the second fewest goals in the league so can't get much worse).  The defense, including goaltending, is another story.  It's basically offensive.  Hard to know where to start, aside from Gorges.  Lehner has to go (rhymes with slow).  He should have left with his mentor, Murray.  Botterill has a lot of work to do.  No kidding!

I still think Girgensons can play. He looked pretty good tonight against the leafs paired with Jack. he can skate and has some grit. Perfect complement on a fast line. If you want to play this fast attacking style I think he's a better fit for the future than Okposo. Pominville, ROR, Okposo, all of that should go. We want to move forward with high energy all around. Erod, Bailey, Baptiste is a good 3rd line. Speed and energy. 

This can be turned around quicker than some think, but they need to commit to one way, and those that can't play that way have to go.  

I think Baptiste has done what the organization has asked of him and in the process earned a spot next year.

Forecheck, backcheck, use your speed, drive to the net and shoot when the puck hits your stick.

They want him to play like Wilson does and he is starting to do that.

He has better hands and a better shot and should produce more than Wilson does when he gets the opportunities Wilson has.

I think Baptiste has done what the organization has asked of him and in the process earned a spot next year.

Forecheck, backcheck, use your speed, drive to the net and shoot when the puck hits your stick.

They want him to play like Wilson does and he is starting to do that.

He has better hands and a better shot and should produce more than Wilson does when he gets the opportunities Wilson has.

But what is Nick's upside at this point?  15 goals and 15 assists in a season? Capable 3rd liner?  

Where do we go from here?  

Here is what we should do:  Re-sign Sam, to go with Casey, Jack, & ROR, and pretty much replace everyone else. 

Here is what Jbot will probably do.  Re-sign Sam,  Wlison, Baptiste and Bailey to go with Casey, Jack, ROR, EROD, KO and Girgensons, Larsson and Pommers.  AKA The Status Quo.   I'm going to be a very angry fan when this happens.  While this group might be marginally better then what we are seeing right now, it's only a 20 goal improvement and not the real substantive change we need upfront.

Here is the compromise.  Keep Wilson, Erod, and Baptiste to go with the KO, ROR, Sam and Casey.  Trade Larsson and Girgensons for someone who needs a fresh start from somewhere else (D or F).  Draft a winger with our top 4 pick and hope he makes the team.  Demote Pommers.  Then go find a couple of wingers who can score.  Grabner comes to mind, as does Riley Nash.  

I have already mentioned Riley Nash from Boston and David Perron from Vegas, but here is a list of other potential forwards to pick up in UFA.

Tier 1- Top Six If some how we move on from Okposo or buy out Moulsson or Pomminstein

James Neil

James VanRiemsdyk

David Perron

Thomas Vanek

Tier 2- Bottom Six - Move on from Larsson, Girgensons, Pouliot, Josefson, or Nolan

Blake Comeau

Matt Calvert

Andrea Athanasoiu

Riley Nash

I believe with a top six of following players Sabres can be very competitive...

?????- Eichel - Okposo

Mittelstadt- ROR- Reinhart

Its the bottom six that kills them year after year with no goal support whatsoever.

Edited by sweetlou

If Sabres don't use buy outs on either Moulson or Pommer and keep Girgensons and Larsson for their last year here is a look out at potential UFA forwards for 2019.

Player, Position, Age

Artemi Panarin, LW, 27

Logan Couture, C, 29

Tyler Seguin, C, 27

Jeff Skinner, LW, 26

Marcus Johansson, C, 28

If Sabres don't use buy outs on either Moulson or Pommer and keep Girgensons and Larsson for their last year here is a look out at potential UFA forwards for 2019.

Player, Position, Age

Artemi Panarin, LW, 27

Logan Couture, C, 29

Tyler Seguin, C, 27

Jeff Skinner, LW, 26

Marcus Johansson, C, 28

I doubt any of those guys reach free agency.   

full disclosure- I have not watched Vanek at all this year, but...

I feel he could be a true Anderchuk 2.0 through the end of his career. He doesn't need to have any more speed that Okposo and he'll still be effective at parking in front of the net and finishing

And he's strong on the puck and can pass

put him back on the 3rd line and let him put the puck in the net when he gets a chance

There’s a reason that no team that signs Vanek to one of his one-year deals wants to keep him.

I think your letting you bias show here. Vanek, now with another 20g/50 pt season in the bag, has now been signed the last 2 seasons by bottom feeders and then traded to contenders at the deadline. If he was such a locker room issue, no one would sign him and no one would acquire him for a Cup run.

As to our 3rd line for next year, Casey’s signing coupled with Jbot comments about him playing center and being ready for next year, makes me believe that Jbot wants him as next season’s 3rd line center. I think he is looking for a structure like this for next year. (We don’t yet have the wingers to fully make this structure work).

1) Jack’s scoring line

2) ROR 2 way line

3) Casey’s young guns (Do you remember how dynamic a 3rd line of Max, Vanek and Roy were)?

4) ERod’s speed grinders

Now the questions become how do you distribute the wingers around that center spine?

The Wing candidates (internal)

1) Reinhart - likely ROR’s RW winger.

2) Baptiste - 3rd/4th line RW

3) KO - ideally if healthy he’d play on Jack’s line, but was this season a fluke or a sign of Moulson to come?

4) Wilson - 3rd/4th LW of re-signed.

5) Pommers - another $5.6 mill black hole with Moulson. Injury fill in or buy out?

6) Nylander - Jbot said he is clearly improved. Ideally he’d be ready to line up with Jack, but likely ome more year in Roch.

7) Bailey - 4th line LW? Speed and physical game could make for a lethal 4th line with Nick and ERod.

8) Smith - jbot said injuries kept him from getting a look this season. Playmaker might actually be a fit with Jack.

9) Larsson - under contract, wins draws, plays with an edge but lack of speed ?

10) Girgensons - Size, speed, but has yet to put it together. Not sure where he or Larsson fit anymore.

11) O’Regan - Proven AHL forward, but can take the next step. Seems like another Wilson or ERod

12) the Field - Griffith, Fasching, Criscuolo, Olofsson (my dark horse), amongst others could surprise.

Internal guys only

Girgensons Eichel Reinhart

Smith ROR KO

Wilson Mittelstadt Pommers

Bailey Erod Baptiste

Mid year callups Nylander and Olofsson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think your letting you bias show here. Vanek, now with another 20g/50 pt season in the bag, has now been signed the last 2 seasons by bottom feeders and then traded to contenders at the deadline. If he was such a locker room issue, no one would sign him and no one would acquire him for a Cup run.

What bias?  The facts speak for themselves.  No one has given him more than a 1-year deal, and no one that has had him at the end of a contract has given him an extension. 

What bias?  The facts speak for themselves.  No one has given him more than a 1-year deal, and no one that has had him at the end of a contract has given him an extension. 

And I find that interesting.  They production has been there.  We've never heard a word about him being a bad locker room guy.  Maybe it is just an age thing?  Noone wants to commit to more than a year because they expect the drop off is imminent?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.