Bad Luck, Bad Timing, or Bad Scouting???

sweetlou

What has hurt this team more over the last five years...

Looking at the drafts since 2013 Buffalo has had some misfortunes in the draft by not winning the lottery, but has also missed on several of the players they have taken.

2013-

Rasmus Ristolainen

No real disappointment here as no one else in first round taken after Risto is blowing my socks off.

2014-

Lose lottery and get second pick instead of first. So we don't get the #1 d we need in Ekblad.

Yes we got Sam Reinhart but passed over other top ten picks Draisaitl (who I was pushing they take) and William Nylander.

Others selected in the first round were Dylan Larkin, Robby Fabric, Kasperi Kapanen, and David Pastrnak.

2015-

Lose lottery again and don't get McDavid.  Yes I like Eichel but McDavid is better.

We also get Guhle in second round which hopefully turns out to be a great pick.

2016-

Pick is #8 after finishing almost .500 for the year and take Alexander Nylander.

Several misses on this draft- Mikhail Sergachev is taken with next pick (would have gone higher if he weren't Russian).

Tyson JostCharlie McAvoy, and Kieffer Bellows all taken later in first round before pick 20.  

2017- 

Finished 5th worse but dropped to pick #8 because of lottery.

We pick Mittelstadt.  Too early to have any opinions on this draft.

Imagine how this Buffalo team would look if we had Ekblad or Draisaitl instead of Reinhart.

McDavid instead of Eichel.  

Or any of Sergachev, Jost, McCoy or Bellows over Nylander.

Yeah, sadly GMTM was famed for his talent spotting ability, which seemed to fall off a cliff when he joined us.

Worth noting Reinhart was our pick regardless of if we picked 1 or 2.

Also I think Nylander will be the biggest bust of those, I doubt he ever properly cracks an NHL lineup. He was only drafted that high because of his family.

I don't really agree that recent bad drafting as hurt this team. I actually think thats one area that Murray got right.

2014 players should be NHL ready now but that draft was a poor one. I think you can only find 4 or 5 good players after round 1. A terrible year to have 3 2nd round picks - though shame one of th m wasn't for Brayden Point. Who Buffalo passed over 5 times after round 1.

It's the drafting from 2007 to 2012 that really killed the depth of this team.

Top 5 players draft after round 1 from those drafts

1) McCabe

2) Foligno

3) Byron

4) McNabb

5) Ullmark.

IF Ullmark turns into an elite #1 I can ignore the inept drafting during these years

From the 2014 Draft, I'd take: 

Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Ekblad, Montour, Point, Ehlers, and Nylander over Reinhart, in that order.

For a while it was looking like Larkin, Schmaltz, Fabbri, and a few others were in that category, but not right now. I would trip over myself if offered one of those guys above for Sam straight up. He'd go 8th in a redraft for me. 

That's how the draft works, and I'm not upset that we have Sam.

Edited by Randall Flagg

The real obvious mistake was Nylander when we needed Sergachev.

The real errors came from their mishandling of assets and failure to uncover, at least to date, any significant contributor after the first rd. If you look at the successful rebuilds their depth comes from their laterr picks that succeed. Take Pittsburgh for example, guys like Kennedy, Letang, Goligoski and Talbot were all taken in the 2nd rd or later.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

the truth is that every team has made mistakes drafting over the years...most think they are going with the best player available but at least 5 out of 10 times that fails, while there are always "sleepers" guys drafted that turn out to be be very good. They are kids and often it really is hard to know how they'll turn out.    

It's all a crapshoot.

We took Nylander because we needed a winger for Eichel more than we needed D, or so management thought...

If I recall, there wasn't a lot of uproar or disappointment expressed on this board over the pick at the time.

But yeah, in general the Sabres have sucked at drafting!

It's all a crapshoot.

We took Nylander because we needed a winger for Eichel more than we needed D, or so management thought...

If I recall, there wasn't a lot of uproar or disappointment expressed on this board over the pick at the time.

But yeah, in general the Sabres have sucked at drafting!

I'd call it Monday morning quaterbacking, but it isn't even that.  We don't have a winger for Eichel.  Wing at that draft was just as needed as D.

And honestly, Sergachev smelled like a bust to me and plenty others at the time. McAvoy simply wasn't talked about very much in the top ten. Hindsight is 20/20 but there was no reason to doubt that Nylander was their BPA at the time, and that that was a reasonable thing.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'd call it Monday morning quaterbacking, but it isn't even that. We don't have a winger for Eichel. Wing at that draft was just as needed as D.

I think a reasonable argument can be made to go D over wing when talent is relatively equal, as it's the more important position. I was a Nylander booster anyway, but I don't think it's inherently a poor argument. On the other hand, anything resembling "Sergachev was a slam dunk pick" is clearly hindsight.

And honestly, Sergachev smelled like a bust to me and plenty others at the time. McAvoy simply wasn't talked about very much in the top ten. Hindsight is 20/20 but there was no reason to doubt that Nylander was their BPA at the time, and that that was a suspect thing.

Yea, Sergachev had plenty of questions and McAvoy would have been a "reach." It happens. This draft looks similar in that any of like 5 guys could end up being second best after Dahlin.

The "are you sure you want to delete this post" prompt didn't clue you in before pressing "yes?" :p

There is no prompt on mobile dammit! :cry:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.