Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

I think botterill just was with his back against the wall thanks to the pegula's wanting kane gone.

Other GM's knew it and lowballed him,  Hartman got chicago a 2018 1st round pick , Hanzal got a good haul last year.

None of these players are better than kane.

If the Pegula's wnated Kane gone so bad, then Jbot should have traded him last summer after his 28 goal campaign.

I have been happy with Jbot's moves to date.  I loved Wilson for a 5th, and the Scandella deal.  I even appreciated the Baloo trade for a 3rd.  It was a very reasonable risk to try to get a top 6 D that fit Wowie's system for as little as a third.  We also have gotten our money's worth from Pouliot.

However, the spin that he had no other legit offers for Kane is BS.  Top 6 wingers who can consistently put up 20 goals (which Kane has done for us for 3 straight years), add speed to your lineup and also play the PK don't grow on trees and are worth much more then Jbot managed to receive.  He is putting a positive spin on his miss handling of Kane. 

It was always coming.

Absolutely.  I and others have said we'll ahve a 50% roster turnover this summer.  I also won't be surprised if more scouts, coaches and other staff are sent packing.  This organization is bad to the core and it needs to be fixed.  My confidence in Jbot to fix it however has taken a major blow today.

Suspending judgement until I see what this "prospect" can bring. If a 1st comes from this, not a COMPLETE failure and certainly not the worst trade of all time- but any pick that isn't this year is by default awful. I'm looking forward to seeing what the guy can do at the NHL level. Maybe we got lucky and he's a late bloomer (optimism)...or maybe he's a marginal throw-in that'll be run out of the league by the end of the season....

We'll see

i dont think this is a bad trade for a rental, honestly. i figured a first rounder only, they got more than that. 

even if the prospect doesnt work out, kane was not coming back here, so we got what 3 players for not having kane on this team for 3 months....a team that wont make it to the playoff in the next 3 years at least?

this is a good deal. 

Generally organizational changes signify a failure, and at the very least there's a disconnect somewhere within the organization, and we'll have yet again someone new at some position started fresh, and implemented some new way of doing things.

I don't know why I continue to believe in this team

Unfortunately this is the case with this organization, Regier left it on unsteady ground but left the tools in place to rebuild it. GMTM sold those tools for magic beans and it collapsed. There are a few pieces left, but Botterill has a lot of work to do.

Unfortunately this is the case with this organization, Regier left it on unsteady ground but left the tools in place to rebuild it. GMTM sold those tools for magic beans and it collapsed. There are a few pieces left, but Botterill has a lot of work to do.

I didn't pay any attention to how Vegas built their team in one year. Are there lessons to be learned there?

I’m not upset with this trade. But I really like former BU players and think O’Regan is really underrated. I was hopeful that Boston’s overpayment for Nash would prelude an overpayment for Kane. In a vacuum, I’m happy with the Kane deal. Compared to some others, it is underwhelming. But if only 1 or 2 teams will overpay, then you’ve gotta get what you can get.

I’m not upset with this trade. But I really like former BU players and think O’Regan is really underrated. I was hopeful that Boston’s overpayment for Nash would prelude an overpayment for Kane. In a vacuum, I’m happy with the Kane deal. Compared to some others, it is underwhelming. But if only 1 or 2 teams will overpay, then you’ve gotta get what you can get.

College players college players college players.

After ROR and Reinhart are traded, the Sabres will be rid of Canadians for the duration of Botterill’s tenure :p ;)

No idea. I think the overall point is that the era of dealing 1st round picks for 20 game rentals is over. There is a lot of experience on this board and I'm not necessarily sure everyone has absorbed the fact that deadline day isn't Christmas morning like years past. I scanned that Trade Tracker and the movement wasn't impressive at all.

It's Christmas morning for Sharks fans.

I didn't pay any attention to how Vegas built their team in one year. Are there lessons to be learned there?

Sure, you need an expansion draft. Then you need to make trades with each team to protect certain players which allows other good players to be available for you to pick from. They might be second and third liners, but that does give the team balance over all four lines. Then you need to find players in said expansion draft who have underperformed on their old teams and have them have career years for your team. Then you need to find an underrated coach who will have his team exceed everyone’s wildest expectations.(Shout out to JJ)

If you can replicate that success, your the next Golden Knights

Botterill mentioned a 2019 4th that can become a 2020 3rd

Yup. So it’s a 2019 2nd and a 2019 4th.

The 2nd can move to a 1st if he signs there this summer, and the 4th can become a 3rd the following year (So, essentially the same value) if SJ chooses.