Defense Next Year

GASabresIUFAN

I thought the aim was to get Bogosian out of the top 4. Even when Bogosian is on his game (whenever the last time that was) he doesn't deserve a spot over Ristolainen.

Doesn't matter where you slot him he will be hurt and not in the lineup 90% of the time anyway. This is also the one of the reasons a buyout would be a mistake imo

Doesn't matter where you slot him he will be hurt and not in the lineup 90% of the time anyway. This is also the one of the reasons a buyout would be a mistake imo

Sounds about right. Given his injury history I wouldn't slot him above the bottom pairing and thanks to winning the lottery we should no longer have to.

I wouldn't buy anyone out, especially a guy like Bogosian who will likely spend more time on IR than on the ice. Pominville and Moulson are off the books after next season and Bogosian will be off the year after. If we can bribe Seattle to take Okposo in a couple years and manage to avoid any new bad contracts we should be in great shape with respect to the cap.

Edited by Alkoholist

I expect he’ll ultimately end up on the left as basically every left shot does, but Dahlin is special so let him have at it on the right side to start at least.

I bet he likes the right because when he stick handles, it brings him center abs immediately into a great shooting position.

I'd give him a shot on the right side since that's his preference. That also pairs him with Scandella who is preferable as a partner over Ristolainen since he's more prone to mistakes than Scandella is as well.

Scandella Dahlin

McCabe Ristolainen

Guhle Bogosian

Antipin

Beaulieu will be in the mix. I know many hate him here but no way you give up on him. He does a lot of good things and isn't so old that he can't improve. I was disappointed in him last year, too, but he should be given as much of a chance as Bogo and Antipin. Even if he is just for depth, he is still part of the team.

Beaulieu will be in the mix. I know many hate him here but no way you give up on him. He does a lot of good things and isn't so old that he can't improve. I was disappointed in him last year, too, but he should be given as much of a chance as Bogo and Antipin. Even if he is just for depth, he is still part of the team.

Fair point. I was just listing who I thought the top 7 would be based on my own speculation at this time. In the interest of building actual depth I want McCabe, Pilut, Bogosian, Antipin, Beaulieu, Nelson, and anyone else they bring in all battling for spots. On a side note I'd still like to see them bring in another guy who is good enough to challenge for a top 4 spot.

While I don't think anyone's spots are an absolute given the addition of Dahlin should give us a bonified/legitimate top 3 in Scandella, Dahlin, and Ristolainen. From there it should be much easier to fill out the remaining top 6 as well as determine who gets the 7 and 8 spots and who would be better served playing in Rochester to start the season and being brought up because of injuries or anyone in the top 7/8 struggling the pick up or properly run the Housley system.

Edited by Alkoholist

Isn't it safe to assume that Pilut would not have signed with us unless he was assured a spot on the big team? From what the "experts" on Sp[ortsnet say this guy is very good and there were a bunch of teams after him, many of whom I am sure would have offered a sure spot on their roster. Can't see him signing to play in Rochester 

Scandella - Dahlin

Pilut - Risto

Guhle - Bogo

McCabe - Nelson

Beauliaeue

I don’t think anyone can assume Pilut will make an immediate impact in the faster league and on the smaller ice service. If he has an NHL only contract, this means Nelson probably walks. There is no guarantee that he isn’t another Antipin. Dahlin brings this D from a 2 to a 6 out of 10. However, if he does make an impact, this defense has goes from a 6 to an 8 or 9.

Also I suspect Botterill might still go after deHaan.

I also hope Pilut and Dahlin means Bogo is bought out and gone,

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Bogosian has to have one of the worst contracts in all of sports given he plays 20 games a season and isn't very good. He's due to make $6 million in salary each of the next two season. Can we just get the hell rid of him somehow?   ...Beaulieu can go too.

I see where other teams somehow wheel and deal and dump terrible contracts on other teams. Sure wish GMJBotto could actually work some magic and find a way to get somebody, anybody to take Bogo off our hands...

Pilut should be nowhere near any top 6 projections until we've seen him in preseason.

I agree, usually I try to stay optimistic but penciling him into our top 4 is a little over the top. Not saying he Can't/won't be. Just saying we haven't seem him on NA ice so probably best to temper expectations

I look at Pilut like I did Antipin.

He’s shown enough overseas to earn a shot.

If he can play, it’s a bonus, not a given.

Agreed, don’t count out McCabe in the top 4 or Jbot going after deHaan or someone else to fill out the top 4. However it maybe wise long-term to leave the 4th spot semi open for when one of Pilot or Guhle develop into a top 4 D.

Lets assume for arguments sake that Pilot, Guhle, Dahlin, Scandella, Risto and McCabe make up our top 6 next season. Here are their ages to start next season.

Scandella - 28

McCabe - 24 (25 in Oct.)

Ristolainen - 23 (24 in Oct.)

Pilot - 22

Guhle - 21

Dahlin - 18

That’s a young group with tons of up side. All can skate and move the puck. They could be very dynamic by the middle of next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

How much cap space does the team have going into free agency?

Can they afford deHaan? And a decent starting goalie? What goalies are available?

The simple answer is yes.

Here is how the team stands right now.

F (8):  ROR, KO, JACK, EROD, Pommers, Mittelstadt, Girgensons and Larsson.  Cap Cost:  33.75   

Key RFAs; Reinhart, Wilson, Smith, O'Regan, Bailey, Baptiste.  I estimate Reinhart at 3 years 12.75 million.

Dead Money:  Moulson (3.9) Hodgson -458K

Total for forwards including Reinhart and the dead money.  9 players @ 41.442

Defense (8)  Ristolainen, Scandella, Bogosian, Guhle, Beaulieu, McCabe, Dahlin & Pilut.  Cap Cost 21.09  (I'm assuming .925 plus bonuses for both Dahlin and Pilot - Antipin made .925 last year).

RFA/UFA: Antipin, Falk, Nelson

Goalies (1) Ullmark.  Cap Cost: .75

Total cost for the 9 forwards, 8 D and 1 goalie = 63.282

Bottomline:  We can afford whomever we want.  Add that a buyout of Bogo saved another 4 mill and that signing the forward RFAs besides Reinhart will come in at 650K to 800K; we have no cap issues.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.