Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think it's a good move to start Nate over Josh, and I think it'll really help Josh pick up the playbook and a basic understanding of NFL defenses with less pressure. He's not in bad company, wrt QBs who didn't start their first year: Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Eli

Sacrificial lamb for the first 4-5 weeks.   Facing those defenses behind that OL... oh boy.  That said, I agree, it is the right choice.

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah but they've gotta sign someone for when he goes down.

Yeah the concern is Peterman goes down the first game or two and Allen is forced to play too soon, putting his health at severe risk against the likes of MIN or SD.

A perfect spot to start Allen is week 5 at home vs TEN.

I hope Peterman at least gets a chance to exorcise some demons vs SD week 2.

Edited by pi2000

34 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Setting aside your interpretation of what represents a fact, selecting on the dependent variable is bad, mmmmk ?

Not sure what that means, but I’ll wait for you to identify a great QB who didn’t have a name to match. Then I will graciously accept your apology.

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I know everyone expects this team to win 3 games, but since the season hasn't started yet, I'd like to point out that wins in these first two weeks would be huuuuuge for wild card implications, if you have visions of us being in that situation at the end of the season. 

As it goes every season, they'll win some games hey should've lost, and they'll lose some games they should've won.      I'm expecting them to finish somewhere around .500.

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not sure what that means, but I’ll wait for you to identify a great QB who didn’t have a name to match. Then I will graciously accept your apology.

You're saying there's some relationship between name quality and QB quality, but you're only looking at good QBs, so of course there's going to appear to be something there. But you also have to look at bad QBs, and there will be a whole host of bad ones with good names. Anyway... 

Carson Wentz? Carson is fine, but that's a brutal last name. Matt Ryan? Nobody likes the two first name guy! 

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't necessarily blame them for Incognito, but him going crazy wasn't exactly so unpredictable that it completely excuses getting caught with their pants down. 

This is correct. I just didn’t want to get into it with where I was going. They also had no involvement with bringing Incognito in. Should’ve spent time getting a safety valve, though.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

2017 NFL QBR rankings:
1.) Carson Wentz
2.) Case Keenum
3.) Tom Brady
4.) Dak Prescott
5.) Matt Ryan
6.) Ben Roethlisberger
7.) Matthew Stafford
8.) Alex Smith
9.) Drew Brees
10.)Russell Wilson
11.) Phillip Rivers
12.) Blake Bortles
13.) Marcus Mariota
14.) Tyrod Taylor
15.) Kirk Cousins
16.) Jared Goff
17.) Josh McCown
18.) Jameis Winston
19.) Cam Newton 
20.) Derek Carr
21.) Carson Palmer
22.) Eli Manning
23.) Joe Flacco
24.) Brett Hundley
25.) Andy Dalton
26.) Jay Cutler
27.) Jacoby Brissett
28.) DeShone Kizer
29.) Mitch Trubisky
30.) Trevor Semian

This obviously isn't a perfect list, but I don't think it correlates very strongly with "strength of QB names", which goes like
Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton, ..................... filler ................... Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Jared Goff, Josh McCown, Brett Hundley, Trevor Semian.

Pretty sure Russel Wilson was in MVP consideration and Brees once again threw for 4k yards. I don't trust that list at all

56 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Sid Luckman,  weak QB first name, great QB last name

Otto Graham, reverse of above

Bart Starr, Starr as a last name?  that screams QB

Terry Bradshaw, Bradshaw sounds football

Bob Griese, OK, this one is weak

Eli Manning, last name history gives it a pass

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I like Peterman. I think with the new blocking scheme we'll have a decent running game and teams won't be able to tee off on our quarterbacks. I think we make the playoffs again. 

Right - we do have to remember that in preseason, it's simply our line going 1v1 with guys like Myles Garrett and the Cincy D-Line. Of course our issues will look exacerbated in that situation. But with actual blocking schemes and other technical crap I couldn't tell you the details of, I'm not saying our line will be close to good, but our offense will be more functional than it was in the first halves of all of those games.

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You're saying there's some relationship between name quality and QB quality, but you're only looking at good QBs, so of course there's going to appear to be something there. But you also have to look at bad QBs, and there will be a whole host of bad ones with good names. Anyway... 

Carson Wentz? Carson is fine, but that's a brutal last name. Matt Ryan? Nobody likes the two first name guy! 

Arguably, Carson Wentz could cause the whole theory to topple. Fookin’ Wentz!

Matt Ryan isn’t a great name, but it’s sufficiently solid. Sorta like the player.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Sid Luckman

Otto Graham

Bart Starr

Terry Bradshaw

Bob Griese

Eli Manning

All of these names are solid or better names. FACT.

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Arguably, Carson Wentz could cause the whole theory to topple. Fookin’ Wentz!

Matt Ryan isn’t a great name, but it’s sufficiently solid. Sorta like the player.

I think Wentz and Ryan are both good.

Names from this year’s draft:

Baker Mayfield is a college football name

Sam Darnold is okay

Josh Rosen is great

Josh Allen is really a tossup

Lamar Jackson feels like a name that will have a high but short peak

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I think Wentz and Ryan are both good.

Names from this year’s draft:

Baker Mayfield is a college football name

Sam Darnold is okay

Josh Rosen is great

Josh Allen is really a tossup

Lamar Jackson feels like a name that will have a high but short peak

EXCELLENT ANALYSIS.

The NFL QB Name Theory is sorta like the band Journey for me: Do I love it ironically or genuinely? Hard to tell sometimes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.