Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m concerned about this but plenty of successful QBs, current and former, have had great success despite some early licks with bad offensive lines.

Like with most things in sports there are plenty of cases to prove anything, it's the liklihood (think I spelled that right) of it that has me concerned 

4 minutes ago, sabills said:

Trent Edwards comes to mind, as well.

Maybe JP. Trent just suuuuucked.

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Like with most things in sports there are plenty of cases to prove anything, it's the liklihood (think I spelled that right) of it that has me concerned 

This is fine, and I agree. I'm sure there are guys who have been stunted by not starting but that's harder to prove (and probably far less frequent).

47 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yep.  4-0 start in 2008 and then he never was the same after that Cardinals game.

Not quite true.  While still probably suffering from the concussion he played well the next week also (IIRC vs San Diego).  He then pretty much never had another good game as he fully grew into the player that his moniker of Trentative embraced.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not quite true.  While still probably suffering from the concussion he played well the next week also (IIRC vs San Diego).  He then pretty much never had another good game as he fully grew into the player that his moniker of Trentative embraced.

I was at that game; it was the one where the stadium lost power.  He did play well.  And then his instinct for self-preservation kicked in for the rest of his career

@ProFootballTalk
According to Scottsdale, Arizona police, Richie Incognito has been arrested and is facing counts of disorderly conduct and threats. More to come at PFT.

@MySportsUpdate
 Former #Bills G Richie Incognito was arrested in Arizona after he randomly started to yell at people at his father's funeral, per TMZ. He's facing counts of disorderly conduct and threats.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@ProFootballTalk
According to Scottsdale, Arizona police, Richie Incognito has been arrested and is facing counts of disorderly conduct and threats. More to come at PFT.

@MySportsUpdate
 Former #Bills G Richie Incognito was arrested in Arizona after he randomly started to yell at people at his father's funeral, per TMZ. He's facing counts of disorderly conduct and threats.

At some point, someone needs to pursue temporary involuntary commitment of this guy.  There's obviously something very wrong.

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

At some point, someone needs to pursue temporary involuntary commitment of this guy.  There's obviously something very wrong.

Yep.  Because best case scenario w/out it appears to be suicide; worst case appears to be suicide by cop after beating someone to death.

It's amazing how quickly and how chaotically he has gone off the rails.

Just now, Taro T said:

Yep.  Because best case scenario w/out it appears to be suicide; worst case appears to be suicide by cop after beating someone to death.

I worry that you've set the bar a bit low with that worst case scenario.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Yep.  4-0 start in 2008 and then he never was the same after that Cardinals game.

4-0 start, after which he was on PTI with Wilbon and Kornheiser talking about him as a potential MVP candidate as well as the Bills as possible super bowl contenders.

20 minutes ago, ubkev said:

4-0 start, after which he was on PTI with Wilbon and Kornheiser talking about him as a potential MVP candidate as well as the Bills as possible super bowl contenders.

I was at the game in Miami that year where he ran a QB sneak at mid-field and tried to reach the ball out over the line to gain the first down.  So either his brain was still scrambled or he was a complete idiot.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I was at the game in Miami that year where he ran a QB sneak at mid-field and tried to reach the ball out over the line to gain the first down.  So either his brain was still scrambled or he was a complete idiot.

The last game I was at Derek Anderson went 2-17 for 23 yards and beat us. I don't think I'll ever go back.

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

Reading that, I'm envisioning the same thing that Tom Brady does almost every game.  Was this different?

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Reading that, I'm envisioning the same thing that Tom Brady does almost every game.  Was this different?

Yes.  Rather than it being done by Tom Brady, it was done by Trent Edwards.  The other difference was that Trent clearly pulled the ball back short of the line to reach as he was downed & Brady is more subtle when he pulls the ball back.  Going off memory here, but seem to recall Trent literally reached it out and then brought it back to his body w/out ever moving his body into the line.

They both end short, but Brady does a faaaar better job of selling it.

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes.  Rather than it being done by Tom Brady, it was done by Trent Edwards.  The other difference was that Trent clearly pulled the ball back short of the line to reach as he was downed & Brady is more subtle when he pulls the ball back.  Going off memory here, but seem to recall Trent literally reached it out and then brought it back to his body w/out ever moving his body into the line.

They both end short, but Brady does a faaaar better job of selling it.

Got it.  I was wondering whether Edwards had reached out with one arm and had the ball slapped out of his hand or something.

Even Brady, who gets all the benefits of all of the calls, doesn't get that first down every time.

51 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Got it.  I was wondering whether Edwards had reached out with one arm and had the ball slapped out of his hand or something.

Even Brady, who gets all the benefits of all of the calls, doesn't get that first down every time.

He essentially handed it to the other team.  Breaking the plane is great and all when you're at the goal line, but not so much at mid-field.

33 minutes ago, shrader said:

He essentially handed it to the other team.  Breaking the plane is great and all when you're at the goal line, but not so much at mid-field.

I just can't remember the play well enough.  It doesn't matter, though; by that point, the footsteps were in his head, permanently.

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m concerned about this but plenty of successful QBs, current and former, have had great success despite some early licks with bad offensive lines.

Memory alert ....  I remember worrying about Jim Kelly arriving from Houston of the USFL.  He’d been sacked so much that accumulated injury was a press topic.  Now, he’d not missed time.  It was a wear and tear conversation.

I Googled the inter webs.  Two sites have him at 110 sacks in two years, including a remarkable 75 in one.  Can that be right?

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

The last game I was at Derek Anderson went 2-17 for 23 yards and beat us. I don't think I'll ever go back.

In his two games against us, he was 11/41 for 160 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and his team scored a collective 14 points.  But he went 2-0 because the Bills scored a collective 3.

35 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

In his two games against us, he was 11/41 for 160 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and his team scored a collective 14 points.  But he went 2-0 because the Bills scored a collective 3.

"Gosh darn" it! I was at the 8-0 game too! The only good thing about that game was making fun of my friends ridiculously windburned face and passing out for the entire ride back from Cleveland.

Edited by ubkev
I guess I cursed

49 minutes ago, ubkev said:

"Gosh darn" it! I was at the 8-0 game too! The only good thing about that game was making fun of my friends ridiculously windburned face and passing out for the entire ride back from Cleveland.

I was at that game as well, in the posh seats.  Was living in Cleveland at the time.  One of the weirdest weather days I can remember.  Was raining sideways all morning, tailgating was a slog.  Then the snow hit, and hard.  Pretty much just said "eff it" at halftime and stayed at the bar in club level after removing the snow from our persons.  Took two hours to drive from W. 3rd to my house on W. 29th.

Good times.   

On 8/19/2018 at 4:53 PM, erickompositör72 said:

Many are very reluctant because it would mean having to disavow #footballfancystats

Why disavow a method of analysis that is imperfect? Applying this logic to all methods would leave you literally without a way to evaluate anything. 

On 8/19/2018 at 4:46 PM, nfreeman said:

Are any Allen skeptics here now getting more optimistic about him?  He looked pretty good the other night.  

Insofar as I expected him to look like EJ with a better arm during training camp, sure. But preseason performance literally means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.