Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Does it actually appear that the Bills have a GM who actually knows what he is doing?

The Bills made the playoffs while dumping guys like Dareus and Watkins. Now have moved on from Taylor and Glenn. Acquired Benjamin to shore up the wr group. Now have re-signed Williams, look to be signing the solid Lotulelei and are in the mix for Bradford.

We still have much work that needs to be done, but things are looking up. Still I want to keep as many of these 6 picks in rds 1-3 as possible.

Is the big Star fella any good anymore?

I read that PFF (for whatever they're worth) is not a fan of his recent work.

Mike Monaghan‏ @lifewithmikey52 8m8 minutes ago
Per @RapSheet The Bills have engaged Sam Bradford's representatives to try and get a deal done.

Bradford is a competent NFL quarterback. I'm just nervous over whether his body can hold up.

I'm a fan of the Star move as he was underutilized in Carolina in the last season plus.  He's a solid run stuffer and is in the right place in his career.  The coaching staff knows him well, and he fits a need.  He's a little more than just a guy, but not a super star in any sense.  I like the move.  Williams was always going to come back and Bradford is the "right fit" at this time to be a bridge to the non Baker Mayfield (kids a scrub) QB in the draft. 

I'm a fan of the Star move as he was underutilized in Carolina in the last season plus.  He's a solid run stuffer and is in the right place in his career.  The coaching staff knows him well, and he fits a need.  He's a little more than just a guy, but not a super star in any sense.  I like the move.  Williams was always going to come back and Bradford is the "right fit" at this time to be a bridge to the non Baker Mayfield (kids a scrub) QB in the draft. 

I been reading something different than you then :p

Does it actually appear that the Bills have a GM who actually knows what he is doing?

The Bills made the playoffs while dumping guys like Dareus and Watkins. Now have moved on from Taylor and Glenn. Acquired Benjamin to shore up the wr group. Now have re-signed Williams, look to be signing the solid Lotulelei and are in the mix for Bradford.

We still have much work that needs to be done, but things are looking up. Still I want to keep as many of these 6 picks in rds 1-3 as possible.

Yes indeed, and this gives me some hope that TP may have hired the right guy for the Sabres as well.

To continue the "When to take a QB" conversation, lets try this. Using the drafts from 2005 to 2015, I'll list every QB taken. 3 ranks. **-hit, *-tweener/undecided, and nothing. Completely subjective, so tell me if I'm way off on someone. I'm setting Dalton as the bottom of the "hit" line.

2015 - Winston**,Mariota**,Grayson,Mannion,Petty,Hundley,Siemian*

2014 - Bortles*, Manziel,Bridgewater*,Derek Carr**, Jimmy Garoppolo*, Thomas,Savage, Murray,McCarron, Mettenburger, Fales,Wenning,Boyd,Gilbert

2013 - Manual, Smith, Glennon, Barkley, Nassib,Wilson,Jones,Sorenson,Dysert,Daniels,Renfree

2012 - Luck**,Griffin*,Tannehill*,Weeden,Osweiler,Wilson**,Foles*,Cousins**,Lindley,Coleman,Harnish

2011 - Newton**,Locker,Gabbert,Ponder,Dalton**,Kaepernick*,Mallet, Stanzi,Yates,Enderle,Tyrod*,McElroy

2010 - Bradford**,Tebow,Clausen,McCoy,Kafka,Skelton,Crompton,Smith,Lefavour,Webb,Pike,Brown,Canfield,Robinson

2009 - Stafford**,Sanchez*,Freeman,White,McGee,Bomar,Davis,Brandstater,Teel,Null.Painter

2008 - Ryan**,Flacco**,Brohm, Henne, O'Connell,Booty,Dixon,Johnson,Ainge,Brennan,Woodson,Flynn,Brink

2007 - Russel, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton,Edwards,Rowe,Smith,Palmer,Thigpen

2006 - Young*,Leinert,Cutler**, Clemens,Jackson,Whitehurst,Croyle,Martin,Jacobs,Gradkowski,Shockley,

2005 - Smith**,Rodgers**,Campbell*,Frye,Walter,Greene,Orton*,Lefors,Dorlovskey,McPhereson,Anderson,Cassel,Fitzpatrick*

Some of those are tough calls. I had * on EJ and Geno Smith, but then when I put on on Tyrod I knew they didn't deserve it. God that draft year sucked. Griffin and Bradford were tough calls, too, though for opposite reasons. 

I didn't look at draft spots while I was doing it, but using my terrible rankings here's what I've got.

Top 5 - 13 players, I have 61% as **, 92% as * or **

Top 10 - 16 players, I have 50% as **, 75% as * or **

First Round -  29 players, I have 34.5% as **, 62% as * or **

First Round after Top 5 - 16 players, I have 19% as **, 56% as * or **

First Round after Top 10 - 14 players, I have 21% as **, 43% as * or **

Entire Draft - 127 players, I have 11% as **, 20% as * or **

Entire Draft after Top-5, 114 players, I have 5% as **, 13% as * or **

Entire Draft after Top-10, 111 players, I have 6% as **, 12.5% as * or **

Its entirely possible I've missed a few guys when I was counting some of the percentages, but I think I got it right. It took me about 5 times longer to put together the numbers than it did to pick my rankings.

Significant drop offs after the Top-5. Using these rankings, though, you're weirdly better picking after 10 rather than between 5 and 10, but there were some solid busts in there (Leinart and Locker).

Significant drop offs after the Top-5. Using these rankings, though, you're weirdly better picking after 10 rather than between 5 and 10, but there were some solid busts in there (Leinart and Locker).

This is good work - thanks for doing it. 

I'd noticed that anomaly as well when looking at another chart a while back. 

I feel the same way.    Although I'm slowly coming around to the idea of trading up further to grab a QB.   

Due to previous regime's f'ing up 1st rnd QB selections (Losman, Manuel), we're all concerned about repeating the same mistakes... and rightfully so.    I, for one, am not enamored with any of the QBs in this draft class, but Beane and company may see something we don't and we just have to trust their judgment.   

$16mil/yr for a guy who has never caught more than 65 balls in a season, and has 28 and 38 catches each of the last two seasons... and last season being part of a high-flying offense.    Ridiculous.   

I just looked at our depth chart with Williams re-signed and the additions of Lotulelei, Ivory and Vontae Davis and have come to an interesting conclusions

The positions of greatest concern

A) QB - we need 2

B) OL - we have 3/5 of an excellent O-line, but no center, no RT and Incognito is 35.

C) LB - With Preston Brown not yet re-signed and Alexander aging, we really have only Milano who made any real contribution left. No question we grab a LB with at least one, if not 2, of our top 6 picks. Roguan Smith or Rashard Evans look good to me.

D) WR - Benjamin and Jones need a 3rd Amigo.

E) RB - McCoy is 30 and Ivory is just a depth guy. Who is going to spell McCoy or replace him if hurt?

F) DE - Still could use another speed rushing DE.

If the Bills don’t move up

12) - Mayfield (or other QB who falls) or Roquan Smith or McGlinchey

22) - Rudolph (if didn’t get QB at 12) or Rashard Evans or Isiah Wynn

53) - RB - Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Guice?

56) - OL/C - Rankin? Price; LB - Leonard

65) - OL/C - J Jones? ; LB - Landry, RB K Johnson

96) - LB/DE - Lorenzo Carter - Speed rusher

With these 6 picks I want a QB, a RB, 2 LBs or 1 LB and a pass rusher, and 2 OL/C. Then add WR depth with the later picks.

Other players I like

WR - Simmie Cobbs, Wims (4th rd), LB - Okoronkwo, Scales

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Watkins going to chiefs  3 years 48 mill, 30 mill guaranteed.

Good for him.

$16mil/yr for a guy who has never caught more than 65 balls in a season, and has 28 and 38 catches each of the last two seasons... and last season being part of a high-flying offense.    Ridiculous.   

Well, it's really $30M - which, I believe, works out to $10M/yr. with the way NFL contract salaries and bonuses are amortized. The guaranteed money is all that matters in NFL deals.

As for it being ridiculous, I put some serious stock in the fact that Andy Reid is the guy bringing the player in. He's one of the greatest O-coaches in the league's history. He must see something in the guy.

The Chiefs could be scary good with the team they've assembled. Hill/Kelce/Watkins/Hunt. Yikes. They've got a ~3 year window to win a Super Bowl, basically -- while they still have Mahomes on his rookie deal. This is the way the Seahawks did it with Wilson. And it's the way the Bills are trying to do it with [QB drafted in 2018].

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.