Prediction time: Will Lehner be traded at the deadline?

nfreeman

Train wreck  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lehner be traded at the deadline (not what do you want to happen -- what WILL happen)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Lehner is traded, what is MOST the Sabres will get?

• 1st - round pick or equivalent prospect
    • 2nd - round pick or equivalent prospect
    • 3rd - round pick or equivalent prospect
    • 4th - round pick or equivalent prospect
    • 2 picks/prospects, neither higher than a 2nd
    • 2 picks/prospects, neither higher than a 3rd
    • 2 picks/prospects, neither higher than a 4th
  3. 3. If Lehner is NOT traded, would you want to re-sign him this summer?

• Yes -- definitely want to keep him
    • OK with keeping him but only at low $ and short term
    • No -- do not want him under any circumstances

Let's have 'em.

I voted:

No -- I cannot see a playoff team giving him the keys to their postseason.

4th-rounder -- I cannot see anyone other than a drunk and impulsive GMTM parting with anything of value for him.

No -- there have to be consequences for being this big of a disappointment.

I voted

1) no on a deadline trade, because I think he’ll be traded this summer most likely as part of a bigger deal

2) 2nd rd pick if traded. This has been the going rate for decent goaltenders. Despite comments to the contray, Lehene is a decent to good goalie, who’d probably excel on a real team.

3) I voted No, but we are missing a 4th option on thr poll. Another 1yr prove it deal for a similar amount. While he hasn’t stolen any games for us, we really haven’tgiven him a chance most nights. We are the worst NHL team in theforst period. Hard to play negind every night.

Yes

4th (I think we get a placeholder goalie in return as well)

OK (but highly unenthusiastic)

I think some GM will bring him on either because of an injury, or as some insurance against injury to an established starter. That said, if Botterill can't get a warm body to take his place, I don't think a deal happens; Botterill is going to want to keep Ullmark in Rochester.

I voted

1) no on a deadline trade, because I think he’ll be traded this summer most likely as part of a bigger deal

2) 2nd rd pick if traded. This has been the going rate for decent goaltenders. Despite comments to the contray, Lehene is a decent to good goalie, who’d probably excel on a real team.

3) I voted No, but we are missing a 4th option on thr poll. Another 1yr prove it deal for a similar amount. While he hasn’t stolen any games for us, we really haven’tgiven him a chance most nights. We are the worst NHL team in theforst period. Hard to play negind every night.

What about stats? Among goalies with at least 24 starts, he's tied for 26th in the league in cumulative SV% and 19th in 5v5 SV%. He's 27th in the league in GSAA at even strength. He's 28th in the league in high-danger SV%, 18th in mid-danger SV%, and 17th in low-danger SV%. He's basically the textbook definition of mediocre any way you look at it.

He's not a true rental.  He's younger.  Some goalie coach will believe they can fix him.

He's still better than any goaltender the Islanders have on the roster.

Compared to the others likely to be available he'll be the best option.

Most critically... there are no shoot outs in the playoffs.

He's not a true rental.  He's younger.  Some goalie coach will believe they can fix him.

He's still better than any goaltender the Islanders have on the roster.

Compared to the others likely to be available he'll be the best option.

Most critically... there are no shoot outs in the playoffs.

That's something I hadn't thought about. Taking it further, OT is also just regular hockey, not 3-on-3.

1: No. I think he could be an asset as a backup to a playoff/bubble team (or maybe a team whose primary GT is UFA), but I don't think a team will be willing to pay enough to make J-Bot disturb the current situation. If it did happen, I could see J-Bot bringing in some rando to backup Johnson for the remaining 20-ish games as opposed to requiring a actual G prospect coming back; I assume he sees the future already in the system.

2: 3rd pick/prospect. That's about all I can see coming back.

3: I'd be OK giving him ONE more year on a cheap contract, but that's probably less than the $4M he's making today so I'm not sure I see it happening. Off-season deal/arbitration/something has to give, I don't think the guy is good enough to warrant $4M+ next year.

To be fair, no goalie not named Hasek would get this particular incarnation of the team to the playoffs :P

you could have put a team of 12 year olds with hasek and he would find a way to win. i have never seen a goalie like him in my life, and i dont think i will ever again. 

What about stats? Among goalies with at least 24 starts, he's tied for 26th in the league in cumulative SV% and 19th in 5v5 SV%. He's 27th in the league in GSAA at even strength. He's 28th in the league in high-danger SV%, 18th in mid-danger SV%, and 17th in low-danger SV%. He's basically the textbook definition of mediocre any way you look at it.

Montreal destroyed their D group and now have guys like Benn, Schelmko and Davidson patrolling their blueline. Weber has been hurt, Alzner slow, and their best D is Petry.  So what has happened to Carey Price's numbers?  They are down with Lehner.

No goalie would excel with our D.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.