Trade Deadline Deals 2018 (Non-Sabres Thread)

Brawndo

This is back from January, but it's the kind of thought process that worries me about trying to up the bidding too much:

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/1/17/16900852/evander-kane-trade-rumors-buffalo-sabres-jason-botterill

Kulikov and Gionta.   McGinn.   Also Chris Stewart was supposed to be worth more than a 2nd earlier on.

He chose not to trade Gionta out of respect for Gionta’s wishes and Kulikov because he was embarrassed at the best offers. Franson he waited too long. Pretty sure 3rd rounders were on the table for Franson and Gionta and a fifth for Kulikov.

McGinn is and was worth what he got: a third that could have been bumped to a second if he kicked ass for his new team.

Apparently he rejected a Spooner trade, which was a mistake, but getting a second for Chris Stewart was a freaking miracle.

Looking at what these guys have done post-Buffalo, other GMs were right about not paying more.

He chose not to trade Gionta out of respect for Gionta’s wishes and Kulikov because he was embarrassed at the best offers. Franson he waited too long. Pretty sure 3rd rounders were on the table for Franson and Gionta and a fifth for Kulikov.

McGinn is and was worth what he got: a third that could have been bumped to a second if he kicked ass for his new team.

Apparently he rejected a Spooner trade, which was a mistake, but getting a second for Chris Stewart was a freaking miracle.

Looking at what these guys have done post-Buffalo, other GMs were right about not paying more.

Bingo.

Believe it or not (and there are still some names notwithstanding), GMs as a group have been smartening up come deadline time.

Bingo.

Believe it or not (and there are still some names notwithstanding), GMs as a group have been smartening up come deadline time.

Part of that is the NHL faults. They changed the lottery so much that anyone on the bubble has a good chance (better chance) of moving up. It means that 1st round picks are extremely valuable. Also the league has caught on to the cheaper contracts bonus of 1st round guys for 3 years. All of this adds up to young players and 1st round picks being worth a lot because it is the only way to succeed in the salary cap era. 

Part of that is the NHL faults. They changed the lottery so much that anyone on the bubble has a good chance (better chance) of moving up. It means that 1st round picks are extremely valuable. Also the league has caught on to the cheaper contracts bonus of 1st round guys for 3 years. All of this adds up to young players and 1st round picks being worth a lot because it is the only way to succeed in the salary cap era. 

And this is why the Lehner trade is still the worst trade made that I can remember. It's never been for me what GMTM got, it has always been what he has given up.

And this is why the Lehner trade is still the worst trade made that I can remember. It's never been for me what GMTM got, it has always been what he has given up.

He gave up a pick in the bottom half of the first for three years of mediocre starting goaltending, hoping he would be getting a long-term starter. How is that worse than giving up a similar pick for 30 games of Andrew Ladd or Kevin Shattenkirk or Martin Hanzal? Edited by Mick O’Manly

He gave up a pick in the bottom half of the first for three years of mediocre starting goaltending, hoping he would be getting a long-term starter. How is that worse than giving up a similar pick for 30 games of Andrew Ladd or Kevin Shattenkirk or Martin Hanzal?

This.

I was fine with the logic at the time of the trade. Any issues I might have with the trade would be based on results and not the principles leading to the decision.

A small distinction, but a distinction nonetheless.

Edited by Thorny

Another Flyer goalie injured today. Hopefully Lehner’s play hasn’t killed any interest in him.

According to Dreger, there is no market for him.

If everyone watched last night’s game, there’s certainly no market for him.

Edited by Thorny

According to Dreger, there is no market for him.

If everyone watched last night’s game, there’s certainly no market for him.

Right. And the reports are that the scouts have been watching recently- I'm sure they've seen all they need to from him.

We can just let him walk as an RFA, right? We don't need a 4mil backup. And that's assuming it doesn't go to arbitration.

Right. And the reports are that the scouts have been watching recently- I'm sure they've seen all they need to from him.

We can just let him walk as an RFA, right? We don't need a 4mil backup. And that's assuming it doesn't go to arbitration.

There's no way he makes it to arbitration. I can not process a world in which JBOTs is that dumb.

#Flyers have acquired Petr Mrazek from Detroit for two picks, a fourth and a third.

Full deal

UPDATE: The Detroit #RedWings have traded G Petr Mrazek to the Philadelphia Flyers for a conditional 4th round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft and a conditional 3rd round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.