Off-season Game Plan 2018

GASabresIUFAN

Sure this is a little premature, but with the deadline looming and the team self destructing, Jbot has already begun in off-season preparations. So put yourself in Jbots place. Make changes to make us competitive and try to be realistic.

Here are the major questions as far as I’m concerned, you may have others.

1) What do you do with TM’s big $ acquisitions. Kane’s fate is sealed, but what about ROR, Lehner, KO, Bogo and even Nylander and Reinhart? If you trade them what can you get? Are any of them part of the problem or solution? Which ones are lockerroom trouble?

2) Is Mittelstadt pencilled in as a Sabre next year or an Amerk?

3) Has Phil and his staff been part of the problem or the solution?

4) Do you fix the D or O with the top 5 pick?

5) Do you work to try to make the playoffs next year or do you work to get younger, faster and hope for the playoffs if the kids gel?

Edited by Georgia Flakt

Some quick thoughts

1) Nylanders contract will slip again, which means we have 3 more years on his ELC. I’m keeping him for now.

2) I’m putting Lehner up for trade this off-season (he’s a RFA) If I get a decent offer (a 2nd rd pick) I’m letting him walk. However, if not, I’m re-signing him for one more, bringing up Ullmark to split time and then trading him at the 2019 deadline. I’ll also listen to offers at this deadline, but I suspect there won’t be much.

3) I’m keeping KO. I like his game and attitude. He has played well now that he is fully recovered from his concussion.

4) I’m not moving Reinhart either. He is a smart, skilled player that wil blossom when the team gets better. His mediocre/lousy season means I can re-sign him on a cheap 2-3 year bridge deal. He is only 22.

5) Bogo is gone. If I can trade him great, if not I’m buying him out. We’ll save $4 mill each of the next two years.

6) I’m putting both Scandella and ROR on the trading block. I’d like to see what I can get for either one, now or on the off-season. As much as I like ROR FO% and overall 2 way game, I suspect he is one of the locker-room issues.

7) I’m trading both Larsson and Girgensons this off-season. They add nothing to the team other then being JAGs on cheap contracts.

8) Baloo and Pommers each have one year left on their deals. I’m keeping both for next season only as depth players.

Sure this is a little premature, but with the deadline looming and the team self destructing, Jbot has already begun in off-season preparations. So put yourself in Jbots place. Make changes to make us competitive and try to be realistic.

1) What do you do with TM’s big $ acquisitions. Kane’s fate is sealed, but what about ROR, Lehner, KO, Bogo and even Nylander and Reinhart? If you trade them what can you get? Are any of them part of the problem or solution? Which ones are lockerroom trouble?

5) Do you work to try to make the playoffs next year or do you work to get younger, faster and hope for the playoffs if the kids gel?

1) I keep KO as Jacks right-hand man, I move on from Bogo and Lehner. The other guys are available but only if core guys (now or future) are coming back

2) That’s really up to Casey, but I think he will have no problem making our top nine.

3) He needs half a season with an improved roster to show me.

4) D at 1 O at 2-4, D at 5

5) Playoffs are the best thing for long-term development

1) What if ROR is one of the locker room problems? What if we can get a Cam Fowler for him?

2) I agree is now a top 9 forward for the Sabres, but is that in his best interest. Guhle has really benefitted from spending this season in Roch. I suspect Casey will also benefit from a year in the minors.

4) I agree on the draft, but when we trade Kane, Thachuk should be the pick other the Dahlin.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

1) What if ROR is one of the locker room problems? What if we can get a Cam Fowler for him?

2) I agree is now a top 9 forward for the Sabres, but is that in his best interest. Guhle has really benefitted from spending this season in Roch. I suspect Casey will also benefit from a year in the minors.

4) I agree on the draft, but when we trade Kane, Thachuk should be the pick other the Dahlin.

There is definitely an argument to Tkachuk at 2. He's scoring like Casey in college. Edited by SkuggaLiger

My off season game plan is to log off.

NSFW language: https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?lang=en

Middlestadt should at least start the year in ROC. Obviously call him up to the club as needed, but unless the AHL is way too easy for him, I'd like to see him spend the majority of the season down there. In 2019-20, his spot on the big club is his to lose.

Lehner should be traded come rain or shine. Not all of the problems on D are his fault, but it's time for fresh blood. A 2nd/3rd rounder and a 4-star prospect would be ideal.

Draft: Take BPA

Keep Okposo, Bogo can be traded for a fancy new gym bag for Eichel. ROR and Reinhart can be available for (and only) the right price. Spend Nylander to a shrink and get him some good medical weed. Start next season fresh.

Come up with a new slogan. Sharpen Your Swords is old and passe, and besides the way this year's gone it should just be "Dull Your Blades" anyway

I just did some research regarding schedules for NCAA hockey, the Amerks and the Sabres.  Minnesota's schedule end 3/17 at the latest with the Big 10 Tourney finals.  If they make the NCAA tourney, the Regionals end 3/25 and the Frozen Four ends on 4/7.  The Gophers sit 5th in the Big 10 (of our 7 teams).  Unless they win the Big 10 Tourney, they probably aren't going to the NCAA Tournament. 

The Amerks have 12 games remaining after 3/17 (including 3 games after the Sabres seasons end 4/11-4/14). If the can get Casey signed and playing, he'll have a time to get great pro experience and then playoff experience playing for the Amerks.  The Sabres also have 11 games on their schedule after 3/17.  FYI there are no AHL clear day rosters anyone for the playoffs.  As long as Casey is on the Amerks roster to end the regular season he can play in the AHL playoffs. 

If I'm Jbot, I get him here asap.  I give a few games in the NHL as an incentive to sign and then send him to Roch for 8-10 games plus the playoffs. 

This should give both Jbot and Casey a clear idea which is the best place for him to play next season.  If he plays very well in the tryout, then the Sabres could very well be his destination to start next season.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

I just did some research regarding schedules for NCAA hockey, the Amerks and the Sabres.  Minnesota's schedule end 3/17 at the latest with the Big 10 Tourney finals.  If they make the NCAA tourney, the Regionals end 3/25 and the Frozen Four ends on 4/7.  The Gophers sit 5th in the Big 10 (of our 7 teams).  Unless they win the Big 10 Tourney, they probably aren't going to the NCAA Tournament. 

The Amerks have 12 games remaining after 3/17 (including 3 games after the Sabres seasons end 4/11-4/14). If the can get Casey signed and playing, he'll have a time to get great pro experience and then playoff experience playing for the Amerks.  The Sabres also have 11 games on their schedule after 3/17.  FYI there are no AHL clear day rosters anyone for the playoffs.  As long as Casey is on the Amerks roster to end the regular season he can play in the AHL playoffs. 

If I'm Jbot, I get him here asap.  I give a few games in the NHL as an incentive to sign and then send him to Roch for 8-10 games plus the playoffs. 

This should give both Jbot and Casey a clear idea which is the best place for him to play next season.  If he plays very well in the tryout, then the Sabres could very well be his destination to start next season.

This sounds like a good plan if Casey is in agreement. I think he enjoyed Buffalo during the WJHC and like most top prospects, can't wait to get paid to play hockey. He isn't a 4 year college guy.

However, he has strong ties to Minnesota and could stay another year if JBot agrees. Casey played High School hockey last year out of loyalty to his friends and coaches.

I think he turns pro this spring.

My moves between now and next season

1) Trade Kane to someone willing to part with a near ready D prospect. I want Carlsson from CBJ, but I’ll take Larsson from Ana. Other suggestions welcome

2) I’m trading ROR to someone like Ana or SJ for an established top 4 D. Maybe Ana is willing to take ROR for Cam Fowler. Contracts are relatively similar and they could use ROR as their no. 2 center. Kesler and Getzlaf can’t go on forever.

3) Mittelstadt, Ullmark, Guhle all make the Sabres next season.

4) I’m re-signing RFAs Reinhart (3 years 9 mill) and Lehner (4.5 or less) and re-signing Pouliot if he stays for 1.75 or less. If Lehner goes to arbitration, I’m trading him hopefully for a 2nd. I’m then signing a Halak to share the net with Ullmark.

5) I’m also trading Larsson and Girgensons, mostly to change the lockerroom.

6) i’m drafting Dahlin at 1, and then hopefully Tkachuk is there for us 2-4.

7) I’m bringing over Asplund, Olofsson and hopefully signing Lindqvist.

8) I’m also buying out Bogo

Lineup using internal talent

Lindqvist Eichel Okposo

CJ Smith Reinhart Baptiste

Tkachuk Mittelstadt Pominville

Pouliot ERod Fasching

Wilson

Fowler Scandella

Risto Carlson

Guhle McCabe

Baloo

Ullmark

Halak

We are going to get some guys back in the deals for Larsson and Girgensons who might step into some of the slots I have Smith, Baptiste and Fasching. Yes, trading ROR creates a huge hole for a 2nd C. However, I envision Mittelstadt in that role 2019-2020 and Asplund as the 3rd line center. Also if we sign both Lindqvist and Olofsson, I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both compete for job immediately in Buffalo.

Edited by Georgia Flakt

I’m going to revise my plan a little and re-sign Antipin as well. No real risk here. He is a RFA who we can re-sign for about 1 mill and I’ve seem enough bright spots from him to think he could blossom next season. Also who are you going to get for that kind of money that has any upside?

My moves between now and next season

7) I’m bringing over Asplund, Olofsson and hopefully signing Lindqvist.

Lindqvist Eichel Okposo

CJ Smith Reinhart Baptiste

Tkachuk Mittelstadt Pominville

Pouliot ERod Fasching

Wilson

Fowler Scandella

Risto Carlson

Guhle McCabe

Baloo

Ullmark

Halak

We are going to get some guys back in the deals for Larsson and Girgensons who might step into some of the slots I have Smith, Baptiste and Fasching. Yes, trading ROR creates a huge hole for a 2nd C. However, I envision Mittelstadt in that role 2019-2020 and Asplund as the 3rd line center. Also if we sign both Lindqvist and Olofsson, I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both compete for job immediately in Buffalo.

What happened to Olofsson in that lineup? 

Olofsson Eichel Okposo

CJ Smith Reinhart Lindqvist

Tkachuk Mittelstadt Pominville

Pouliot ERod Fasching

Edited by SkuggaLiger

What happened to Olofsson in that lineup?

Lineup using internal talentOlofsson Eichel OkposoCJ Smith Reinhart LindqvistTkachuk Mittelstadt Pominville

Pouliot ERod Fasching

I agree if we sign Lindqvist, both he and Olofsson could make the team. We certainly could use the scoring, but I suspect Jbot would send Olofsson to learn the NA game in Rochester for a year. He might not have that option with Lindqvist like with Antipin this season. Edited by Georgia Flakt

1.  This team needs to get faster.  If you have a chance to move ROR, do so.  He isn't worth the $7.5 you are paying him. Nylander may be a bust, but you may need to give him another year or two..no rush.  Reinhart....If ROR stays, they Reinhart probably goes (or should).

2. Hopefully Mittlestadt signs and is with the Amerks next year.

3. No firm opinion on Housley yet..but I'd say no coaching moves should be made yet.

4.  Best available player...take him.

5. Be the best team you can be while being younger and faster. You want to be better already, but no more old, slow, overpriced guys.

I agree if we sign Lindqvist, both he and Olofsson could make the team. We certainly could use the scoring, but I suspect Jbot would send Olofsson to learn the NA game in Rochester for a year. He might now have that option with Lindqvist like with Antipin this season.

I guess my issue is that I see Olofsson as more of a finished product compared to Lindqvist. Suppose it would depend on what they look like in camp. 

The idea of giving Reino 3 years x $3MM makes me sick.

A real team does not give that kind of reward to a player after a season like this.

He makes 894k now. I might bump him up to 1.25 or 1.5 depending on the length of the deal.  

Samson probably signs a one year 1.5 Million Dollar prove it deal.

Olofsson will need a year in Rochester to get accustomed to North American Ice as Flakt mentioned

And if Casey comes out it’s probably with the understanding he starts with the Sabres. That’s why I hope he signs in March.

I guess my issue is that I see Olofsson as more of a finished product compared to Lindqvist. Suppose it would depend on what they look like in camp. 

He makes 894k now. I might bump him up to 1.25 or 1.5 depending on the length of the deal.

Sam’s base is 894k, but has over $2 mill in incentives, some of which I would think he earned last season and the year prior. If Sam averages just .5 pt per game the rest of the way, he’ll finish with 36 pts for the season including 25 in his last 44. If he gets hot, he could easily reach the 40 pt mark for the 3rd straight season. If that happens, we’d be lucky to re-sign him to a bridge deal under $3 mill per season. This seemed like crazy talk after 1 ast in the month of Dec, but he has 8 pts in his last 10 games. Wowie has him back screening the goalie and it is helping both Sam and the PP.

Sam’s base is 894k, but has over $2 mill in incentives, some of which I would think he earned last season and the year prior. If Sam averages just .5 pt per game the rest of the way, he’ll finish with 36 pts for the season including 25 in his last 44. If he gets hot, he could easily reach the 40 pt mark for the 3rd straight season. If that happens, we’d be lucky to re-sign him to a bridge deal under $3 mill per season. This seemed like crazy talk after 1 ast in the month of Dec, but he has 8 pts in his last 10 games. Wowie has him back screening the goalie and it is helping both Sam and the PP.

Almost positive Reinhart has received minimal bonuses to date. Don't believe he's earned any league-wide bonues & pretty sure he's only earned ice time bonuses (both years) & a goals bonus his 1st year. Pretty sure those are each capped at $212k/ season.

Reino has 19 pts in 48 games.

He has NINE even-strength points in 48 games.

He has ONE even-strength goal in his last 26 games.

There is NFW he is getting $3MM per year.

If he continues to produce like he has since the calendar change, he might.

Remember, he's young enough that if he really is the trainwreck he looked the 1st 3 months of the season, he can be bought out at 1/3 on the $ rather than the typical 2/3's. Very low risk, reasonably high reward. It's not like anybody's talking Draisatl money. :lol: @ the Eulers.

If he continues to produce like he has since the calendar change, he might.

Remember, he's young enough that if he really is the trainwreck he looked the 1st 3 months of the season, he can be bought out at 1/3 on the $ rather than the typical 2/3's. Very low risk, reasonably high reward. It's not like anybody's talking Draisatl money. :lol: @ the Eulers.

Where's all that German Gretzky love now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.