Alex Nylander Watch Thread: What's up with him?

LGR4GM

GMTM wanted him to have a similar experience that Jack did with Moulson. He arranged for Alex to live with the O’Reilly’s in Rochester last year. Apparently Alex did not have a drivers license and the he and his wife got sick of chauffeuring him around and really let him know that. In addition he was consistently tasked as one of designated individuals to clean the team bus after long road trips often at 2 or 3 in the morning. The reports were that Cal did very little to mentor him and adopted the IDGAF Attitude the rest of the Amerks Organization had and that Alex was adversely affected by this.

Couldn't the Sabres set up an uber account for him? Why would they let a prospect twist in the wind like that, especially one that important. Maybe GMTM wanted Alex to get some tough love but I'd be pretty disenfranchised if I was treated that way as well. Shame on anyone who had knowledge of that situation and let it happen. No wonder Cal was quietly shown the door. Ungrateful prick, who wouldn't have sniffed the NHL without his little bro putting his foot in the door for him.

Couldn't the Sabres set up an uber account for him? Why would they let a prospect twist in the wind like that, especially one that important. Maybe GMTM wanted Alex to get some tough love but I'd be pretty disenfranchised if I was treated that way as well. Shame on anyone who had knowledge of that situation and let it happen. No wonder Cal was quietly shown the door. Ungrateful prick, who wouldn't have sniffed the NHL without his little bro putting his foot in the door for him.

This gets back to what we know about the Sabres org under GMTM: No one was paying attention to anything.

If that's how it all played out, then ya. those guys.

If Cal was a ###### and the organisation (Americans and Sabres) knew about and did nothing really to remedy that situation then they were even bigger shits.

I love the Sabres, but something stinks around here.  Not literally.

EDIT:

Hey guys!!  You see that the plural passes!!

Edited by Sabersfläkt i NS

That’s the issue. Having a potential top NHL Player live with a career AHLer was a huge mistake, look no further then Peters and Rivet discussing that Jack needs to earn everything he gets for two hours a day on the radio. Now imagine living with that.

I’m willing to bet dollar to doughnuts that Jason Botterill had a mea culpa conversation with Michael Nylander on behalf of the Sabres Organization over the summer.

You think Risto has under performed?

Rodrigues is just better than an AHL lifer, which everyone thought he was

Depends on the 1st. Nylander is still viewed as potentially elite by some around the league I'd bet. And a 20th round pick might be worth that gamble for a few

Wait what?

I think Risto has stagnated in most areas of his game and regressed on the PP compared to last year.

I thought Housley hockey would suit him better than Terry Murray hockey, but that hasn’t happened.

Given what Brawndo has spelled out, it may take a trade to reboot Nylander. What a shitshow.

But you can’t trade a top10 talent for a second rounder less than two years after drafting him.

And I still think ERod is an AHL lifer.

That’s the issue. Having a potential top NHL Player live with a career AHLer was a huge mistake, look no further then Peters and Rivet discussing that Jack needs to earn everything he gets for two hours a day on the radio. Now imagine living with that.

I’m willing to bet dollar to doughnuts that Jason Botterill had a mea culpa conversation with Michael Nylander on behalf of the Sabres Organization over the summer.

For sure. Sabres up his first year, injury his second.

Maybe third time will be a charm.

GMTM wanted him to have a similar experience that Jack did with Moulson. He arranged for Alex to live with the O’Reilly’s in Rochester last year. Apparently Alex did not have a drivers license and the he and his wife got sick of chauffeuring him around and really let him know that. In addition he was consistently tasked as one of designated individuals to clean the team bus after long road trips often at 2 or 3 in the morning. The reports were that Cal did very little to mentor him and adopted the IDGAF Attitude the rest of the Amerks Organization had and that Alex was adversely affected by this.

Sorry, but is there a source on this? I know you don't post rumors, I'm curious how this came out

Pretty sure last season was completed prior to 4th of July weekend.

(Or was it Memorial Day that Uber was allowed upstate?) Either way, the account probably wasn't as helpful as it would've been had he played for tge Chicago Wolfpack. ;)

Sorry, but is there a source on this? I know you don't post rumors, I'm curious how this came out

Heard those same rumors shortly after Cal O'Reilly was loaned to the Marlies. Can't recall the source, sorry.

Paul Hamilton, afternoon segment with Schopp and the Bulldog in April after the firings. White mentioned he was hearing the same from his source the next day. And Kris Baker mentioned dysfunction with Nylander’s Handling in Rochester last year over the summer.

So there maybe an element of Hammy Math, but three separate sources leads me to believe there is truth to this.

And I believe the cleaning of the bus was also mentioned in an interview and was discussed on the board in an earlier thread last year.

(Or was it Memorial Day that Uber was allowed upstate?) Either way, the account probably wasn't as helpful as it would've been had he played for tge Chicago Wolfpack. ;)

Heard those same rumors shortly after Cal O'Reilly was loaned to the Marlies. Can't recall the source, sorry.

I  think it was pretty wel documented last year when cal was suddenly traded.

Paul Hamilton, afternoon segment with Schopp and the Bulldog in April after the firings. White mentioned he was hearing the same from his source the next day. And Kris Baker mentioned dysfunction with Nylander’s Handling in Rochester last year over the summer.

So there maybe an element of Hammy Math, but three separate sources leads me to believe there is truth to this.

And I believe the cleaning of the bus was also mentioned in an interview and was discussed on the board in an earlier thread last year.

Interesting. Good info, thanks Brawndo

I still say trade him

Oof. As an uber driver, not realizing Uber wasn't available last season was a... Wait for it... Uber mistake.

I think Nylander needs time. I agree with some of the earlier posts who say they are just going to let Nylander develop and not expect him to contribute.

I think managing expectations is a deficiency amongst Sabres fans. We want instant results; granted it has been lean for the past many years. But it's a new coach/GM and I am trying to be patient. From my perspective, I see a team that is playing better than the start of the year. I take that as they are learning how to compete and I see greater confidence in some players. I would expect the next stage in the development to be learning how to finish games.

I just noticed the Montreal starting line is centered by Paul Byron. I don't have the time, but how many people chased him out of here when he was 20 years old because he didn't show the signs of a superstar? And not that Byron is the second-coming of Gretzky, but we are so quick to kick a kid to the curb.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.