Robin Lehner: Passionate or paranoid?

PASabreFan

But the Sabres haven't lost. The last I looked they were in the vicinity of seventh overall in all-time win percentage among NHL franchises. They could have several Cups to their name (they have won many Cusps). Maybe two or three with Lindy and Darcy alone. Unless you want to argue that the NHL let them get that close, then pulled the rug out from under them, the theory doesn't hold water.

Yowza. I just can't go here. If I believed this, I'd have to quit. I bristle when someone asks, "Why do you follow the Sabres if they make you that unhappy?" I find the following question perfectly fair: "Why do you follow the Sabres if the league is rigged against them?" That's WWF territory.

The question of whether players buy into this is another thing, and it's terrifying to me that just one player believes it. That's your losing culture, folks. It has to be wiped out. I recently asked "What's wrong with Dad?" I never imagined it could be something as weird as this, but maybe Gregory House finally found the tick in the v agina.

With all that said, do you still think it was wrong of TP to tell the media to be less negative?

It's one thing to be all "Because Buffalo" if you've lived here and suffered it your whole life. There's nothing wrong with taking decades of Buffalo sports fanhood and developing a complex. 

Lehner is in his 3rd season here. He's not allowed to have that attitude yet. If Kyle Williams still believes in the Bills then Lehner has no excuse. 

It's one thing to be all "Because Buffalo" if you've lived here and suffered it your whole life. There's nothing wrong with taking decades of Buffalo sports fanhood and developing a complex.

Lehner is in his 3rd season here. He's not allowed to have that attitude yet. If Kyle Williams still believes in the Bills then Lehner has no excuse.

Wouldn't someone who's played somewhere else maybe be more likely to know that other teams are treated differently,... maybe?

Wouldn't someone who's played somewhere else maybe be more likely to know that other teams are treated differently,... maybe?

Dude has only ever played in Ottawa. I doubt his experience there was much different than here to be honest. 

I think if you look at comments from players who are new to the team this year, like Scandella and Nolan, what you see is not that the Sabres are treated differently by the league, it's that the Sabres are culturally f*cked compared to other teams. 

With all that said, do you still think it was wrong of TP to tell the media to be less negative?

I'm struggling to understand the question. Because the media is part of a losing culture? Or because the media is too negative given how good (relatively) Sabres hockey has been?

Whatever the idea behind the question, my answer would be yes. It was pointless (the media won't change), it was inappropriate (a team owner doesn't tell the media what to do) and it made his players look like mental weaklings.

Edited by PAnnySabreFan

Unless you want to argue that the NHL let them get that close, then pulled the rug out from under them, the theory doesn't hold water.

Bingo. It may be off-years for the league (s) that Buffalo is allowed to get to a championship round but come on, no way will they ever be allowed to win it.  

I'm struggling to understand the question. Because the media is part of a losing culture? Or because the media is too negative given how good (relatively) Sabres hockey has been?

Whatever the idea behind the question, my answer would be yes. It was pointless (the media won't change), it was inappropriate (a team owner doesn't tell the media what to do) and it made his players look like mental weaklings.

If this is a fans' problem that has now spilled over to the players, doesn't it make sense that the way the media portrays the teams shapes the fans' feelings about them in some way, and therefore, getting the media to be less negative, and dare I say positive, about the teams could shape the fan's view of them and spill over to the players. Maybe it is a losing culture and every aspect needs to change, even us.

Robin Lehner: Passionate, Paranoid, or Pessimist. 

or Realist?

teehee.

Please, somebody help me on this: so if the league didn't order the whistle to blow 45 seconds after the fact and during live play and the game ended, could the Islanders have challenged the"no-goal" call and have the goal counted anyway, even if it was challenged after the game? 

Edited by Marvelo

If this is a fans' problem that has now spilled over to the players, doesn't it make sense that the way the media portrays the teams shapes the fans' feelings about them in some way, and therefore, getting the media to be less negative, and dare I say positive, about the teams could shape the fan's view of them and spill over to the players. Maybe it is a losing culture and every aspect needs to change, even us.

or Realist?

teehee.

Sounds like propaganda to me. 

Lehner is an extremely emotional guy.  It's actually too much for my tastes.  I think he sounds like an absolute nut case when he speaks to the media.  Even when he's calm - I get the feeling, this guy is ready to blow a gasket.

I think his emotions hurt him much more than they help him in the net.  I'm almost positive they never help him outside of the net.  

I think this is one of the main reasons the fans don't connect with Lehner.  

What about the times that calls go in the favour of the Sabres.

In that scrum in front of the net against the Leaves 9.9 times out of 10 that play is blown dead long before the Sabres score, basically to clinch a playoff spot, if I recall correctly.

All of this is nonsense.  Lehner and the Sabres are barely hanging on at this point.  The Sabres are nowhere good enough to be shooting off their collective mouths at the league at this point.  They are terrible and lose a lot.  They lost on a late game tying goal which looked good and then was reviewed.  If you ask me, that was a good goal and the league gave the Sabres a chance to hang on to the lead by doing the review almost as a favour to them.

If the Sabres were a good team, this would change.  They are not going to get the benefit of calls when they don't matter.  Either way they need to have the attitude that they need to overcome the calls and don't make it an issue.  Hard with a developing team... but they need to take their game to the next level to be even considered.  Can understand Lehner's frustration, but probably a good call based on that one pic I saw.  They need to shake it off and keep working.  It isn't about this year now anyway.  They are not coming back from that putrid fall they laid out... So keep working and make some trades to get rid of dead weight and know they need to step it up further.

Please, somebody help me on this: so if the league didn't order the whistle to blow 45 seconds after the fact and during live play and the game ended, could the Islanders have challenged the"no-goal" call and have the goal counted anyway, even if it was challenged after the game? 

Yes. The goal would have counted and the clock set to 1:09 and they would have finished.  The only time that doesn't happen is when you score the winning goal with your foot in the crease.

I mean.. Because Buffalo right?

It's humorous.  If i look at the replay, I cannot SEE the puck can I?  Technically if I cannot see the puck over the goal line then it's not enough evidence to over turn the call.  I KNOW the puck was over the line because of everything that happens but I cannot SEE it.

Whatever.. play better defense and that doesn't happen.  The OT goal was horrible as well and I'll just go ahead and assume that no one asked Lehner "Hey, Robin.  Were you still thinking about how the NHL screwed you over when Barzal took that shot?"

If the Sabres were a good team, this would change.  They are not going to get the benefit of calls when they don't matter.  Either way they need to have the attitude that they need to overcome the calls and don't make it an issue.  Hard with a developing team... but they need to take their game to the next level to be even considered.  Can understand Lehner's frustration, but probably a good call based on that one pic I saw.  They need to shake it off and keep working.  It isn't about this year now anyway.  They are not coming back from that putrid fall they laid out... So keep working and make some trades to get rid of dead weight and know they need to step it up further.

Good teams get the calls? How does that work? Is it an overt decision by the league staff or is it subliminal? There's no argument to be made for anything deliberate. What's in the subconscience of the staff might be another story. Think of a ref calling a game before a boisterous home crowd. It's not hard to imagine that external factor playing into calls, at least a little bit.

What about the times that calls go in the favour of the Sabres.

In that scrum in front of the net against the Leaves 9.9 times out of 10 that play is blown dead long before the Sabres score, basically to clinch a playoff spot, if I recall correctly.

All of this is nonsense.  Lehner and the Sabres are barely hanging on at this point.  The Sabres are nowhere good enough to be shooting off their collective mouths at the league at this point.  They are terrible and lose a lot.  They lost on a late game tying goal which looked good and then was reviewed.  If you ask me, that was a good goal and the league gave the Sabres a chance to hang on to the lead by doing the review almost as a favour to them.

Great post.

I don't think so. There's no coach's challenge for that situation. The league would have just screwed up by not looking at it or looking at it and determining it wasn't a goal.

if anyone actually believes or thinks that bettman and his all-world ego would ever allow Buffalo off the hook for that time up on stage on national TV when Lindy et al would not even shake his hand, you haven't seen or heard bettman and is rants about how he is basically Mr. Wonderful and how is the key to any success the league enjoys. I actually tuned in to a radio station up here in Ontario one day a few years back and they were talking about how "it is obvious that the NHL is sticking it to the Sabres for that whole thing that went on years ago". Do you really think that any team other then the Sabres would get screwed out of the 1st pick two years in a row? Whatever...crap like last night will continue and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. sucks,

but that's the facts. I am not too sure if the Bills are getting shafted too, just think that Brady gets any and every call is way no matter who he is playing 

Edited by Sabre fan

As I suggested in my observations of the Canes fans, I think there's a good argument to be made that if we changed, it could help the team. It's not going to come at the suggestion or direction of the media, that's for sure.

I am going to go with passionate super frustrated vs paranoid.

Yeah I know its easy to say coulda, shoulda, woulda, but some here would nail him if he railed on his team not able to score goals for him even when he stands on his head.

So in a heated passionate frustrated moment he takes it to the league which has had its fair share of questionable calls and moments against the team.

Does look bad like a whiner sore loser, sure but when you wear your emotions on your sleeve like he does I think you need to give him some time before drilling him with questions and how he feels because the filter is usually off.  

I am not going all the way to saying it proves they believe they are cursed and cannot win and he has accepted that outcome... I guess this is what it's come too, when all we have is to scrutinize every players Psych when the team continues to struggle as it has.

Fruit cakes all of them, from coach to water boy fire them all I say, off with their heads....   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.