Kris Letang and Evander Kane?

WildCard

And if Letang plays 40 games how does that lead us anywhere? 

I'm gambling a ton on his injury history, for sure. I would want more coming back than just a 1 for 1 trade

To me that's the only concern about him though. Granted it's a massive one, but he would fit perfectly here otherwise 

I'm so sick of not developing our own guys and this constant belief that some magical outside veteran is going to save us. Rivet, Ott, who else will it be before we realize that the reason the sabres suck isn't because of outside the locker room it is because of the inside. 

I'm so sick of not developing our own guys and this constant belief that some magical outside veteran is going to save us. Rivet, Ott, who else will it be before we realize that the reason the sabres suck isn't because of outside the locker room it is because of the inside. 

I agree with you on this, I've been right there in advocating the development of Rochester and keeping guys down there. Not saying Letang solves everything, but he helps

I'm gambling a ton on his injury history, for sure. I would want more coming back than just a 1 for 1 trade

To me that's the only concern about him though. Granted it's a massive one, but he would fit perfectly here otherwise 

To me it is just another band-aid on a larger problem, not developing players correctly and allowing guys who are just happy to be in the NHL to be on the team for season after season.  The problem isn't lacking veterans, the problem is bad drafting and not enough internal competition with consequences if you aren't up to par. See Matt Moulson. 

I agree with you on this, I've been right there in advocating the development of Rochester and keeping guys down there. Not saying Letang solves everything, but he helps

He just eats cap for 4 years.  I do the trade if I can Pittsburgh 1st round pick this year and a conditional pick next year plus a prospect. I just don't think Letang will ever remotely return the value he is getting on that deal. It will be investing in declining returns, something this team has done too much of recently. Moulson, Okposo, Bogosian, Ott, Hodgson (no offense to Cody and his issues), and at this point ROR. 

If we're trading Kane, it has to be an intertemporal move to get better later. (Sorry, everyone.) We're definitely not going to get good value for guys that are currently in the league.

Calgary and Anaheim are still my favorite destinations for him.

Who would you be targeting on Calgary? They traded their first rounder this season. Although I wouldn't mind Adam Fox and a second back for him

Max Jones from Anaheim plus a pick?

Edited by det har elektrolyter

Who would you be targeting on Calgary? They traded their first rounder this season. Although I wouldn't mind Adam Fox and a second back for him

Max Jones from Anaheim plus a pick?

Rasmus Andersson would be a great addition for us and should be able to play in the NHL very soon. They have other guys I'm interested in too, and Valimaki is at the top of that list.

Letang would be a salary dump for them to afford Kane, they aren't is g him to get anything good back. By taking him the Pens would have to add better picks and prospects to get Kane and Letangs salary off their books. If it was a straight up trade, JBott would deserve to not make it through the season and Pittsburgh should be charged with tampering cause he would obviously still be working for the Pens...

Letang would be a salary dump for them to afford Kane, they aren't is g him to get anything good back. By taking him the Pens would have to add better picks and prospects to get Kane and Letangs salary off their books. If it was a straight up trade, JBott would deserve to not make it through the season and Pittsburgh should be charged with tampering cause he would obviously still be working for the Pens...

Absolutely correct. you are doing the Penguins a favor by taking Letang.

I'm thinking Sprong, Letang and a lottery protected first rounder for Kane.

“I wonder – Letang has in his contract, I think there’s 18 teams he can go to. I have no idea if Buffalo is on that list. But I was Buffalo and they’re looking for D. They were the last team to get a goal from their defense in the NHL this year. If I was Buffalo I’d be kicking my tires at that for sure, and maybe Kane is the kind of thing that could be part of the deal. I don’t know. Makes sense. Pittsburgh could use Evander Kane. I’m just throwing stuff at the wall there, but I just think one of the hard things now is that I don’t know if there’s an urgency in too many teams yet, maybe outside of a Pittsburgh, to absolutely race to get something done.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/friedman-ponders-nhl-trade-possibilities/

I just cannot see this team trading for a player in his age 30 season that breaks down each and every season, has not played a caliber of Norris trophy defense in at least 3 seasons and carries a ridiculous cap hit will help this team long term.  This is a TERRIBLE idea.  I for one will be pissed off if we trade Evander Kane even as a pure rental for any part of Letang.  There are any number of defensemen that I'd rather have on this roster long term than Letang.  I don't think Letang is a terrible player and it's not his fault for the monumental injury concerns.  Trading for Justin Faulk who is at least sturdy enough to play a full 70 plus games makes more sense.  The Penguins will have to eat a majority of his salary and include Sprong for this to make sense. I hate building the blueline through over priced, aged, damaged goods. Do we need another injury risk similar to Bogosian.  **** that.  Furthermore, this conjecture is a prolific joke. 

Edited by De Listig Ett

Could have sworn that during last nights WJC game the bottom ticker said Letang went on IR along with a former Sabre. I was tired though so maybe I'm crazy.

Yep, Lower body injury.  No timetable for his return.

FYI:  http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/12/29/kris-letang-injury-penguins-trade-rumors-nhl/stories/201712290155

in case you didn't notice the Sabres' defence are starting to score (both goals and assist) more and more and hey are starting to look good and giving a very valuable piece like kane for a guy that is getting up here in age and is always hurt would be absolutely absurd. heck we'd have to start fire the GM posts if he actually was so naive or stupid to make that trade. not even worth talking about...

Sprong called up today for Pittsburgh.

Showcasing? Maybe

But its clear Sheary (2yrs left @ 3m) and Hagilin (1yr left @ 4m) are under performing, and have been for some time now.

Combine that with the rumors about Cole (UFA 2.10m), Letang (4yrs @ 7.25m) and JR threatening he's considering a major shake up, especially with a potential 3rd cup run now in what appears to be some mid-season trouble, especially given Geno's and Sid's window is right now, I can see a deal with Buffalo for Kane and some other components being very possible.

So in essence, Hagilin, Sheary, Cole, Letang and perhaps Sprong and Pittsburgh's 1st or 2nd could all be on the table.

Given the possibilities with all the variables in potential play on the Pittsburgh, I'm paying attention to the scouting seats at Pitt games.

In the mean time, no harm in trying to play arm chair GM for a few days, discuss.

Edited by Lucky E

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.