NWHL Buffalo Beauts: acquired by Pegula Sports

LGR4GM

We have acquired the Buffalo Beauts of the NWHL. Welcome to the family, @BuffaloBeauts! Details: http://onebuf.co/1KCKGv 

.@NWHL Founder & Commissioner Dani Rylan is on with us now to announce the Pegulas acquisition of the @BuffaloBeauts! Tune in now @MSGNetworks @WGR550!

Nice job by the Pegulas acquiring the Beauts. NWHL best chance for growth/success comes with more NHL teams buying in and having direct NWHL counterparts.

Edited by LGR4GM

This is cool news.  WNY has some amazing female hockey talent.  The 12U Tier 2 team from Rochester (Rochester Edge) is currently ranked #1 in the Nation.  I have friends who have daughters on that team.

Having a professional female hockey team backed by a name like PSE is a big deal for any young girl who aspires to play hockey at higher levels.  The Beauts were already an influence but there is little doubt that they have a greater financial backing now than before.

lol

Care to expand on this commentary or should we let our imaginations run wild on what you are insinuating?

I can't get into watching no-checking hockey. You would think by now women's sports like hockey and lacrosse would get past the old "too delicate to hit" philosophy.

I watched a bit of USA-Canada the other night and I was surprised by the poor passing and slow skating. You would think the best there is would be better.

I can't get into watching no-checking hockey. You would think by now women's sports like hockey and lacrosse would get past the old "too delicate to hit" philosophy.

I watched a bit of USA-Canada the other night and I was surprised by the poor passing and slow skating. You would think the best there is would be better.

Sure, but could they beat the Sabres?

I don't have a problem with no checking.  The best women are slower skaters than the best men, so if you're used to NHL speed, it will seem slower.

I did notice that the passing was not up to snuff.  I assume that most of these women are not sustaining themselves on their NWHL salaries alone and have to work other jobs, in which case they don't get to practice with one another as much as NHLers do.

I don't like making the argument because I know it sounds sexist, but it's simply a matter of size and strength in the pool of women's hockey talent. Until there are enough women playing hockey where a pro league can consist almost entirely of Hilary Knight types the game just isn't going to attract more than the most dedicated fans. 

I enjoy women's hockey and am a big supporter. And it can be entertaining once you adjust your expectations. It's not the NHL. For the price of tickets it's a good value. 

My hope is that over the next 10 years there will be a bump in size and strength in the talent pool with the stigma of "women as jacked up athletes" becoming less prevalent. It would probably lead to fewer injuries and make introducing things like checking a more palatable option. 

I want to note that during my college days I became acutely aware of the fact that the women's team players are RIT were concussed way more often than the men's team players. Many of them were wearing special helmets to deal with the problem. 

A quick read on women's sports and concussion rates. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/02/10/our-effort-to-reduce-concussions-in-youth-sports-overlooks-the-biggest-victims-girls/?utm_term=.8f3ccd9cca83

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.