OT - Paul Hamilton's Weight Loss

darksabre

I had heard about this recently but there's a BN story about it today:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/01/wgr-sabres-beat-reporter-loses-80-pounds-to-save-his-life/

I had no idea the guy played college hockey. 

Looks like we won't be able to call him Paul Hamsammich anymore. 

Good for him. Losing weight and keeping it off ain't easy. 

I had heard about this recently but there's a BN story about it today:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/01/wgr-sabres-beat-reporter-loses-80-pounds-to-save-his-life/

I had no idea the guy played college hockey. 

Looks like we won't be able to call him Paul Hamsammich anymore. 

Good for him. Losing weight and keeping it off ain't easy. 

Yeah, club hockey at Iowa State.

Paul's a friend of mine. Worked with him at USAir in late '80s....good athlete and great guy. went through a tough time losing his wife....I wish him good luck and health....

I didn't know he had gone through that. Not fun.

His story is certainly a sympathetic one. I very much wish him well.

The fact that the other on-air personalities all seem to like him (genuinely) confirms that he is, in fact, a good, good guy.

It's funny. I can't hardly recall much of the specifics, but I know I had tuned him out because, I had concluded, his takes were so patently negative and narrative-driven. The Reinhart thing specifically, I guess.

Well, well, well. Looks like I should've listened to Paul all along.

I still think that a decent amount of how he views and understands the game is somewhat dated. But I now think he was right all along on #23.

His story is certainly a sympathetic one. I very much wish him well.

The fact that the other on-air personalities all seem to like him (genuinely) confirms that he is, in fact, a good, good guy.

It's funny. I can't hardly recall much of the specifics, but I know I had tuned him out because, I had concluded, his takes were so patently negative and narrative-driven. The Reinhart thing specifically, I guess.

Well, well, well. Looks like I should've listened to Paul all along.

I still think that a decent amount of how he views and understands the game is somewhat dated. But I now think he was right all along on #23.

Good call on the Reinhart stuff.

I'm so glad this story came out.  I've known of his troubles through mutual acquaintances.  It's why I didn't like when people poked fun at his weight.  There's just so much going on there that it's not as simple as just saying "I can do better.".

I think at times he is a bit arrogant and gruff with responses on air and I think some of that perhaps creeped into his persona over the past few years.  He was not happy with his weight and that's something he had to take everywhere with him.  I genuinely hope he continues his improvement and that it leads to better things for him in the future.

Thanks for sharing the article and I am glad it's on the news roll on the main page of the site.

Some of the posters most recently were bad mouthing him, how you feel now?

Pretty much the same. I feel bad he lost his wife, and good on him for losing weight. I'll even credit him with his Reinhart take, maybe he was right about that after all. I still think he put a garbage article about his stats out there, and generally has an antiquated and repetitive view on the game.

Pretty much the same. I feel bad he lost his wife, and good on him for losing weight. I'll even credit him with his Reinhart take, maybe he was right about that after all. I still think he put a garbage article about his stats out there, and generally has an antiquated and repetitive view on the game.

Yup.

Some of the posters most recently were bad mouthing him, how you feel now?

I'm not sure how much I was badmouthing him, but he has lost a little credibility with me over the last three years (or so).  I used to trust him implicitly.  I don't anymore.

I knew he was losing weight; that was apparent just from seeing him on TV / Internet.  Didn't know why (and still don't because I can't open the article, but I'll see the paper later).  I didn't know he had lost his wife. 

None of it really affects my opinion of him, other than knowing some of what he's gone through and feeling bad for him for that.

I think the key is to critique his knowledge and delivery of it in his professional career without spilling over into personal attacks on his weight or other irrelevant factors.

That is fair.

I am interested in the notion that his apparent grumpiness, crankiness, which seemed to cloud his judgment at times could have been the product of his poor health and/or personal tragedy.

This coming from a guy with a racist avatar. So it's ok to make fun of Asians but not fat people?

I can't tell if this is serious or for yuck-yucks.

In any case, Mr. Yuck:

1024px-Poison_Help.svg.png

Edited by That Aud Smell

That is fair.

I am interested in the notion that his apparent grumpiness, crankiness, which seemed to cloud his judgment at times could have been the product of his poor health and/or personal tragedy.

I can't tell if this is serious or for yuck-yucks.

In any case, Mr. Yuck:

It was a joke.

Always seemed to be a nice guy, worked driving limos while going back to RAD school and gave him a ride from MSG to the airport in 2011, couldnt have been more gracious. Dont always like his repetitive analysis in recent years but never any hate for him. Didnt know he was an Amherst grad... go Tigers class of ‘82!

Good for him...ive been there myself...not that heavy but at 255 lbs I thoight I was having a heart attack several years ago and had elevated cardiac enzymes when they ran tests at the hospital...

Over the next few years I got in tremendous shape and dropped 75 pounds...you have moments in your life when you just look in the mirror and dont like the person you've become and have to make a serious change.

Good for him that he realized it and even better for sticking it through and doing it.

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.