DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

Teams are waiting for someone to set the market. Either Kane or Nash or maybe even JVR will be traded and then the flurry should start. Look at the top of the Central Standings, we need one of those GMs to blink.

There's going to be more buyers by the end. There always is.

Teams are waiting for someone to set the market. Either Kane or Nash or maybe even JVR will be traded and then the flurry should start. Look at the top of the Central Standings, we need one of those GMs to blink.

Not saying they won't but why on earth would the leafs trade jvr?

Not saying they won't but why on earth would the leafs trade jvr?

The Leafs are pretty much locked into third place in the Atlantic Division but they are probably not going to win the Cup this year. So the thought is to trade players on expiring deals for future assets.

JVR would garner as much if not more than Kane and Nash.

James Mirtle, McKenzie and Friedman have discussed this at various times

Edited by Brawndo

The Leafs are pretty much locked into third place in the Atlantic Division but they are probably not going to win the Cup this year. So the thought is to trade players on expiring deals for future assets.

JVR would garner as much if not more than Kane and Nash.

James Mirtle, McKenzie and Friedman have discussed this at various times

Why can't they win the cup? Good lord I hope not but they are not a bad hockey team. I'm all about the Sabres trading anyone with a pulse in a season like this. I would be right pissed if we were a solid playoff team and unloaded a decent player for futures.

Also should note I love all the links and info out there u provide. Please keep them coming.

Why can't they win the cup? Good lord I hope not but they are not a bad hockey team. I'm all about the Sabres trading anyone with a pulse in a season like this. I would be right pissed if we were a solid playoff team and unloaded a decent player for futures.

Also should note I love all the links and info out there u provide. Please keep them coming.

Thanks

Here is some thoughts from James Mirtle from the Athletic

In the last six weeks, Boston and Tampa have played dominating games against the Leafs, shining a light on some of their holes. The Bruins, in particular, will be an incredibly difficult match-up if Patrice Bergeron can nullify what Auston Matthews creates. But Victor Hedman can cause match-up issues of his own.

Especially given it's increasingly unlikely the Leafs get home-ice advantage in the first two rounds.

Speaking of odds, Toronto's chances of getting to Round 2 right now are around 43 per cent. Their chances of getting to Round 3 are closer to 20.

That means their odds of playing in the final four are the ninth best in the league — despite having the seventh-best record. Having to go through two elite teams in the first two rounds will do that.

2. They have attractive pieces to sell

James van Riemsdyk is the obvious trade bait given his talent, production and reasonable, expiring contract. A ton of contending teams would love to add him, and there could be a bidding war.

But the full list of Leafs that will be unrestricted free agents next season also includes Tyler Bozak, Leo Komarov, Dominic Moore and Roman Polak.

Their other plausible trade pieces include Matt Martin, Josh Leivo, Nikita Soshnikov and one of McElhinney, Garret Sparks or Calvin Pickard.

I know the common argument against selling is that (a) they'll hurt their playoff chances and (b) the Leafs won't get much, but that might not be true, especially if they are more aggressive about shopping their wares.

They don't need four NHL-capable goaltenders, either in the postseason or next year and beyond. They don't need Martin or Polak given the emergence of Kasperi Kapanen and Travis Dermott. They don't need Leivo and Soshnikov both munching popcorn in the press box with us dorky writers.

And they have relatively plausible replacements for everyone listed above — save for JVR on the top power-play unit.

The hard sell lineup

Hyman – Matthews – Kapanen

Marleau – Kadri – Marner

Johnsson – Nylander – Brown

Marlie – Marlie – Marlie

Rielly – Hainsey

Gardiner – Carrick

Dermott – Zaitsev

Andersen

Obviously that roster is an extreme exaggeration. The Leafs aren't going to trade away seven forwards in the next couple weeks, wiping out their depth. But you can't tell me that if you brought in more Marlies right now and bumped up the Kapanens and Dermotts that the talent drop-off would hinder the Leafs' chances of advancing in the playoffs significantly from what I listed above.

Let's say you can get a first-round pick for JVR. Let's say you can get a second-, third- or fourth-rounder for some of the other pieces there. Those are all trade chips that can be used in the off-season, when Toronto will have plenty of cap space and the upper hand in a lot of transactions with teams that are in a bind.

That might be worth more than the percentage point or two hit that their Cup-winning odds take by moving some of their trade pieces.

It might not be such a crazy idea at all.

3. Their Cup chances are better in 2019 and beyond

I don't think the Leafs are very far away from being the class of the league — if they're smart.

But it's also undeniable their odds of contending (and winning a title) are going to get better. Everyone on the roster under 23 years old — Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Dermott, Kapanen — is going to get better and likely contribute more.

I know they're moving out of their entry-level deals, but Toronto's cap situation shouldn't cause massive problems in the near term. In fact, they've got a lot of flexibility for 2018-19, in particular.

They should be able to keep all of their best young players together through this window where they move into their primes.

There's something attractive about recognizing that fact and doubling down on it by moving on from JVR, Bozak and Komarov (among others) preemptively, turning the roster over to the future right now.

If the Leafs sell right now, they're not selling their core pieces. They're not ruining their chances at making a surprise run in the playoffs this spring.

They're being prudent. And they're adding assets that could help make them downright scary in the years to come.

That's the argument for selling.

I for one hope that Kane is NOT traded and stays on and signs with the Sabres. I think he likes it in Buffalo. I think he likes Eichel and Reinhart and all that. He is in a unique spot where he can be a hockey hero to black kids and he is active in that community. Buffalo is one of the very few markets where you see black people as hockey fans...always has been this way and they're terrific.

Yeh I am mixed on Kane the hockey player. He seems to be working on passing more. His vision still stinks and awareness, but he is hard on forecheck and in corners and he know how to shoot. Im ok with his personality. Just not sure unless Sabres get a really good return for him.

I for one hope that Kane is NOT traded and stays on and signs with the Sabres. I think he likes it in Buffalo. I think he likes Eichel and Reinhart and all that. He is in a unique spot where he can be a hockey hero to black kids and he is active in that community. Buffalo is one of the very few markets where you see black people as hockey fans...always has been this way and they're terrific.

Well, if he like Eichel and Reinhart enough he'll come back after he's traded.  His absolute best move right now is to be traded, allow the team to get some assets and then re-sign in the off-season.  If he's all about the highest bidder or he's eyeing a particular market then there's not much that can be done.  I wouldn't give Kane what the UFA market will give him.

If Jack is done for the season AND they move Kane, it's gonna look even uglier than it did pre-holidays.

Was thinking the same.

Kane could come back this summer, but I suspect he will be looking for the best offer from a playoff team.

Was thinking the same.

Kane could come back this summer, but I suspect he will be looking for the best offer from a playoff team.

I'm probably alone on this one but I don't want Kane back. Being more specific, I don't want Kane back with the contract (mostly the term) that he will command.

Let's build with prospects, you add th high price free agent when you are a piece away from winning a cup, not before

Well, if he like Eichel and Reinhart enough he'll come back after he's traded.  His absolute best move right now is to be traded, allow the team to get some assets and then re-sign in the off-season.  If he's all about the highest bidder or he's eyeing a particular market then there's not much that can be done.  I wouldn't give Kane what the UFA market will give him.

Why?

Wouldn't his absolute best move be Mick's suggestion -- ie best contract from a good team?

Why?

Wouldn't his absolute best move be Mick's suggestion -- ie best contract from a good team?

Yeah, this is actually the Sabres' best case scenario, trade return plus the player back next year. This is, of course, if they have any interest in bringing him back, which I doubt if reports they haven't even started talking to him about a contract are true.

Winnipeg Jets have three people listed on attendance sheet tonight: Mark Dobson, the director of pro scouting, and pro scouts Jack Birch and Peter Ratchuk.

I'm guessing they're not here to watch former Jet Evander Kane, but wouldn't that be something if they were?

Per John Vogl

Winnipeg Jets have three people listed on attendance sheet tonight: Mark Dobson, the director of pro scouting, and pro scouts Jack Birch and Peter Ratchuk.

I'm guessing they're not here to watch former Jet Evander Kane, but wouldn't that be something if they were?

Per John Vogl

Maybe their there for the Ave, or they all just craved for wings? :D