What is right with the Sabres!

GASabresIUFAN

A huge comeback win tonight over the hated the Bruins.

While we went 0-4-1 in the first Babcock block, the Sabres are now 2-1-1 in the second block.

Pommers and Kane continue to produce when not paired with Jack.

Jack is on the verge of being a top 10 forward in the NHL.

ROR seems to have found his game, and Pouliot looks again like an NHL player after a glacial start.

On D McCabe and Scandella have improved with each game and Risto is showing signs of life. McCabe and Risto have upped their physical games, which seems to have helped them execute better overall.

Bailey has 3 points in 4 games and his energy has really helped the team even if he is only getting limited minutes. Although he did get almost 16 minutes tonight.

bit of an extreme bandwagon jump - don't hurt yourself when you jump off :)

Bailey has been much better than pre-season, agree on that. I like him on Jack's wing. He still needs to be more physical and use his size, if he does that, he can be a bit like Maroon is for McDavid, open a lot of room and get some garbage rebounds in front. 

McCabe had a good game and Scandella his best so far. Pouliot? I gotta see a lot more from him before I'll join that praise. ROR is more like last year's version, but Reinhart is still sucking :)

You didn't mention Antipin. He looked truly promising and the D was a lot better without Beaulieu in there. 

They played a weak goalie and looked like crap most of the game, I'm excited we won and in such exciting fashion.

But I'm not ready to be comfortable with them until I see a but better/consistent play, less mistakes, etc.

We shall see, but I had the game on in the background on my phone at work, and I caught some of the goals, and I was very pleased with OT, I especially liked the sequence with jack just twirling around to facilitate a line change, that was magical.

I’m not jumping on the bandwagon that this is a good team. It isn’t, but to say there isn’t any positives is also wrong. There is much work to do but we are seeing positive signs, including improvement in key players like Scandella and McCabe.

I agree that we haven’t seen 60 minutes of good hockey, but we are seeing periods of dominating hockey, and this wasn’t happening two weeks ago.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

They seem to have a thing for comebacks. They have character. The leaders are starting to step up. Pominville already has 11 points. Kane is healthy and banging. There is speed. Hopefully the passengers like Moulson will be jettisoned. I would like to see Bogosian; I think he will bring the level of the defense up. I agree Antipin is an asset although he still has much to learn. 

One thing that marked the first Briere/Drury lead team was the comebacks. That team was never out of a game and more often then not found a way to win close games.

Recently this team has found a way to comeback from 3 goals down twice, winning one in OT. This is huge positive sign that there is more heart in this team then we initially thought.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

They played a weak goalie and looked like crap most of the game, I'm excited we won and in such exciting fashion.

But I'm not ready to be comfortable with them until I see a but better/consistent play, less mistakes, etc.

We shall see, but I had the game on in the background on my phone at work, and I caught some of the goals, and I was very pleased with OT, I especially liked the sequence with jack just twirling around to facilitate a line change, that was magical.

It was dreamlike. When we die, we go to hockey heaven and watch the Sabres and they always have the puck.

I’m not jumping on the bandwagon that this is a good team. It isn’t, but to say there isn’t any positives is also wrong. There is much work to do but we are seeing positive signs, including improvement in key players like Scandella and McCabe.

I agree that we haven’t seen 60 minutes of good hockey, but we are seeing periods of dominating hockey, and this wasn’t happening two weeks ago.

Scandella is overcoming major surgery and has improved every game. I am felling very good about that trade.

And if McCabe plays like that 70 games a year it will go a long way toward fixing our defence.

To overhaul the D, JBott brought in:

Scandella

Antipin

Tennyson (whom Howie called “Tenner” last night, btw)

Beaulieu

Right now, Scandella looks like either the best or 2nd-best defenseman on the team, depending on whether Risto is bringing it on a given night. That may be a tallest-dwarf distinction, but even in a vacuum he has delivered quality top-3 defenseman minutes IMHO.

Tenner is a new SabreSpace whipping boy, a bit unfairly IMHO, but in any case has seized a spot in the lineup, including reasonably good 2nd PP time.

Antipin and Beaulieu have been up and down but each has shown promise.

If Scandella continues to play at this level — and I see no reason why he wouldn’t— and if they can get the equivalent of 2 #4-#6 defensemen out of Antipin, Tenner and Bloo, which I think Howie can deliver, that is a very nice job by JBott.

To overhaul the D, JBott brought in:

Scandella

Antipin

Tennyson (whom Howie called “Tenner” last night, btw)

Beaulieu

Right now, Scandella looks like either the best or 2nd-best defenseman on the team, depending on whether Risto is bringing it on a given night. That may be a tallest-dwarf distinction, but even in a vacuum he has delivered quality top-3 defenseman minutes IMHO.

Tenner is a new SabreSpace whipping boy, a bit unfairly IMHO, but in any case has seized a spot in the lineup, including reasonably good 2nd PP time.

Antipin and Beaulieu have been up and down but each has shown promise.

If Scandella continues to play at this level — and I see no reason why he wouldn’t— and if they can get the equivalent of 2 #4-#6 defensemen out of Antipin, Tenner and Bloo, which I think Howie can deliver, that is a very nice job by JBott.

Agreed. The key for Botterill will be finding a way to replace Bogo and his cap hit with a viable top 4 option. Something like:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - X

Beaulieu - Antipin

...provided Bottz can find X, I think we have a chance at a decent D corps.

Really like the O'Reilly article talking about getting "mad" and playing with emotion. This is what was missing in that Vancouver game where they all looked like stiffs on the bench. 

It took time to turn Nashville's D into a force and they only became dominant with Subbhan's arrival. JBot improved the weakest link on the team as best he could without giving up anything substantial, it's a good start but has a long way to go. Give it time. 

The problem imo is what to do with the scrub line of Okposo/Reinhart/Moulson. 

Poke, to your point. I noticed on several occasions last year, the team was very energized after fights. Bogo, Dlo, and Foligno provided sparks and the kids ate it up. I'd love to see Bowel-U, Nolan and anyone else willing to throw to continue this paradigm.

I think you got some of that last night without the fights.  McCabe and Risto wiped out a few Bruins with clean legal hits and they seemed to spark the team.

McCabe's hit was really nice. 

Thing about Nolan, his best (and maybe only big) hit was in L.A. and he clearly did that for the L.A. fans who loved him. Probably wanted people to go "man I miss him, why'd they let him go?" He has been ok, but not sure he has the same level of committment/interest for this team. We shall see. 

Nothing says I love you more than pleasing your woman with tasty meat.....

oh_no_you_di_int_325x325-300x300.jpeg

McCabe's hit was really nice. 

Thing about Nolan, his best (and maybe only big) hit was in L.A. and he clearly did that for the L.A. fans who loved him. Probably wanted people to go "man I miss him, why'd they let him go?" He has been ok, but not sure he has the same level of committment/interest for this team. We shall see. 

Um.   Yeah.  Right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.