GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Los Angeles Kings, 10/14/17, 10:30pm ET, MSG

darksabre

Housley only had 4 forwards who are showing up for work. What choice does he have.

So how about that Butcher kid?

I gave an example of one that didn't get any ice time but generated five quality scoring chances to Moulson's zero and didn't get that ice time. Moulson was either the worst or second-worst forward yesterday even if other guys aren't performing up to par. Which is why it was so bizarre.

Can't say I've ever read a code of conduct for this place.

But I would be surprised and disappointed if a poster who has contributed nothing but posts deliberately aimed at provoking other posters is allowed to continue. Sabrespace is better than that.

Why isn't ROR on the penalty kill? 2 mins to go in the game, face off in your end and ROR sits on the bench? I know they want to limit his s minutes but...

90 didn't play a second of PK time last night.

I kind of understand that, our PK last year was horrible mostly with RoR on the ice for it.

I really am not too sure about how goalies work but I'm pretty convinced that Lehner's fundamentals are pretty bad. Rebound control, positioning etc. When things get hairy he either flops too soon or sits on his knees acting tall closing his eyes and hoping the puck hits him, where you see actual goalies peering through guys trying to find the puck. I might be way off, and maybe it's because the only goalie I watched for years had pristine positioning to make up for his lack of raw athleticism. 

I really hope they find someone that makes it easy to move on from Lehner at the end of the year. Because even if I'm wrong about the above, he clearly shrinks when the team needs him most, and like PA has said, I can't see him ever being able to help us win a playoff series with his mental state.

Lehner has seemed very tight and out-of-control.

The post about not being able to blame him, yet still not feeling confident about him was spot on.

Don't think he's confident in himself.

Some positives from a pretty solid game against the Kings that I haven't seen mentioned:

O'Reilly looked more like O'Reilly

Marco Scandella is starting to look like the player I hoped he would be

Oh, and this is the Jack Eichel I've been hoping for: so smooth, in control and effective.

Barring that ugly piece of coasting against the Islanders, this might be the most consistent I've ever seen Jack over a five-game stretch.

Edited by dudacek

Lehner has seemed very tight and out-of-control.

The post about not being able to blame him, yet still not feeling confident about him was spot on.

Don't think he's confident in himself.

Some positives from a pretty solid game against the Kings that I haven't seen mentioned:

O'Reilly looked more like O'Reilly

Marco Scandella is starting to look like the player I hoped he would be

Oh, and this is the Jack Eichel I've been hoping for: so smooth, in control and effective.

Barring tha ugly piece of coasting against the Islanders, this might be the most consistent I've ever seen Jack over a five-game stretch.

I'm worried that part of that is because the Kings are so slow. 

And with respect to Eich, if he'd just shoot the goddamn puck a couple more times, I'd be 1000% happy with his game. Right now I'm 990% happy. 

I didn't notice him on the ice for the PK goals though.  Was he?

Well, given the standards that some fans on here have for their own postings I am not surprised.  

We ask for a team to have control, to play disciplined, to be better and then we don't ask the same of ourselves.  

There are posters on there who are the equivalent of Radko Gudas and we allow them to get under our skin and take cheap shots at us and then feel the need to dignify idiots with a response?

We're one and the same with this team.

By the way, I am using we, it does not mean to include all.

This team gave up 0 ES goals last night to a good team.  It's improving.  There are some players who are definitely making the process more difficult.  Right now I'd say there are 4 players in the lineup who need to not be in the lineup.  82, 5, 67, and 25.

If we could replace them with Bogo/Falk, Antipin, Bailey, Fashing I think we'd be in a much better spot right now.

Because those players are not carrying their weight out there they cause other players to have to do more and play where they are not best used.

Against SJ - yep.

He wasn't on the ice for the PK that turned the game's momentum because he was in the box.

He wasn't on the ice for the other 2.

The post was slightly tongue in cheek, but not entirely. Though his unit wasn't scored on during the 2nd PK, his lack of mobility was noticeable and he was a large part of getting the unit running around losing their box. They've been using an aggressive PK but his being a tabletop hockey player doesn't allow them to get the puck away. The Kings spent over 1:10 in the zone before a puck hopped over a King's stick & they managed to finally clear the zone.

Gorges and Moulson deserved every minute of icetime they got last night. Is it just a coincidence that we had a chance late in the third of that game? The game is so much more than missing a couple of open ice passes.

Gorges did well, but Moulson did absolutely nothing and was a drag on his line, he lost possession for them by himself like eight times. I thought he was only surpassed by Pouliot in terms of ineptitude. 19:45 is insane even if he was having a good game.

Moulson I think was a case of Housley giving a the guy a shot.

God knows we need another winger.

If Matt did a Pominville, it would have been a godsend.

In his defence, Housley hasn't seen as much of Moulson as we have.

I'd also suggest that keeping Sam on the third line is a deliberate big picture strategy.

Wouldn't be surprised if the organization wants a more assertive Sam. He's focused almost entirely on being a support player since he arrived in Buffalo.

Housley has made him the best player on his line so he is forced to make plays.

Can't say it's a move that is paying off, but at least he was more assertive last night.

By the way mods, I apologize for my behavior and am turning myself in, I didn't mean to, the team makes me feel angry. I'll take the warning points or banning or whatever I have grading to do anyway

don't ask for warning points , I have had one for ages and it won't go away :P

Edited by Huckleberry

Gorges did well, but Moulson did absolutely nothing and was a drag on his line, he lost possession for them by himself like eight times. I thought he was only surpassed by Pouliot in terms of ineptitude. 19:45 is insane even if he was having a good game.

This is just plain wrong. He was responsible in the defensive zone leading to several of the rushes up ice. He made plays on the boards and was great positionally off the puck that led to more zone time and may have even had the only shot on goal by that line in the first (not sure if that last one is tru).

This is just plain wrong. He was responsible in the defensive zone leading to several of the rushes up ice. He made plays on the boards and was great positionally off the puck that led to more zone time and may have even had the only shot on goal by that line in the first (not sure if that last one is tru).

I have to agree with you. I thought Moulson had a good game.

I don't want him on this roster, but if we're stuck with him, he could look a lot worse.

I really am not too sure about how goalies work but I'm pretty convinced that Lehner's fundamentals are pretty bad. Rebound control, positioning etc. When things get hairy he either flops too soon or sits on his knees acting tall closing his eyes and hoping the puck hits him, where you see actual goalies peering through guys trying to find the puck. I might be way off, and maybe it's because the only goalie I watched for years had pristine positioning to make up for his lack of raw athleticism. 

I really hope they find someone that makes it easy to move on from Lehner at the end of the year. Because even if I'm wrong about the above, he clearly shrinks when the team needs him most, and like PA has said, I can't see him ever being able to help us win a playoff series with his mental state.

I always supported Lehner but its getting harder and harder to so.   My hope is on Ullmark now.

Well,  I said last season, if Moulson, Gorges, and Bogosian are back in 2017-18 as regular components of the line up,  this team is not really serious about winning in 2017-18.  

Last night's game - Gorges and Moulson combined for over 30 minutes of ice time - Gorges 13,  Moulson nearly 20.  What else besides an "L" would be expected?  Gorges got the expected 2 PIM - that's about all I expect from him. 

I'll say this about Gorges:  He knows how to lay the body on someone along the boards.  Our younger defensement should take a lesson:  You don't separate a player from the puck but waving your stick at him as you skate by.

So nfreeman what's the plan for the last 2 pages of this thread? I'd like it to be publicly known.

The plan is this:

1.  Despite a weird watching-a-train-wreck quality that the troll had, he is gone.

2.  Everyone else is, again, requested not to introduce politics -- including via random remarks about political figures.

My takes...

Can we get that 3rd round pick back from the Habs for BowlYou

I just can't wrap my brain around all the negative and hate that Kane gets from some on this board. Let's see he's our leading scorer with a +/- of 0

I can see it for our 7.5 million dollar man who's on pace for 16 points for the year

Or our 6 million dollar man who's on pace for 0 points for the year

Or our super smart 2nd pick of the draft, who is so SMART and so GIFTED and should be playing C all the time who is on pace for 0 points on the year and a +/- of (-131) for the year

Yes that's not a misprint a -131

Lehner should never had let that 3rd goal in. Shot from the point, no-one screening him, 4 seconds into the PK. If he doesn't improve drastically consider him on his last contract with the team.

You can blame Pouliot for a lame effort by not blocking that shot but PLEASE Lehner has to make that save.

Seth Griffith reminds me of a character from Mayberry and not Andy. How do you miss that wide open net with Quick off balance on top of it. 

Scandella is starting to come around but Risto and McCabe for that matter have to protect the front of the net much better than they've shown so far

How bad has Antipin been if Tennyson is getting TOI??? Another player showing ever worst than his stats.

Pomminstein can't keep up this scoring pace but he's been a bright spot on the team so far.

Eichel as good as he is can't save this team, he actually is playing or has played extremely well

Girgensons has earned a spot on the team again. If he continues his play, he'll be fine somewhere on the middle six

Saying Nolan is better than Des is pretty faint praise

Give Housley some time, as bad as things seem at the moment, I think he's pushing the team in the right direction although at times it seems uncoordinated.

I agree with most of this, although I thought B-loo looked pretty good last night -- I saw only one really bad play and quite a few solid ones.

I'm much more worried about Risto and McCabe -- I'm seeing very few positive plays from either of them -- although to be fair, Risto did play a ton of minutes and the Sabres were much sounder than previously, so he should get some credit there.  Still, I don't see any plays out of either of them that contribute to quick, crisp offensive starts.  Risto in particular seems to make one bad pass after another.

There's also a lot more nuance than "I can't believe people hate/want to get rid of Kane!" He's a good player that doesn't help his linemates. There's a spot for him on this lineup, our coach just hasn't found it yet.

I liked him with ROR and Moulson/Reino last night -- didn't really like the change to putting Kane back with Eichel and Pommer that we saw in the 3rd.

Perhaps I'm just seeing what I want to, but I really, really didn't like his game. Quiet isn't good enough for me in the situations he was put in. 

In support of Lehner;

Since he has been here, when has he played behind a good defense with a responsible forward group? Does the term never come to mind. I’d be shellshocked also.

He plays each night knowing if he lets in one goal, his team’s chances of winning are reduced to near zero. He knows that he’ll face 5 odd man rushes a night and another 10 defensive breakdowns. That’s a hard way to play and not exactly a confidence builder.

I don’t know if Lehner is the man or not. I was never a fan of his acquisition, but also until he plays on a real team we’ll never know what he can be.

In support of Lehner;

Since he has been here, when has he played behind a good defense with a responsible forward group? Does the term never come to mind. I’d be shellshocked also.

He plays each night knowing if he lets in one goal, his team’s chances of winning are reduced to near zero. He knows that he’ll face 5 odd man rushes a night and another 10 defensive breakdowns. That’s a hard way to play and not exactly a confidence builder.

I don’t know if Lehner is the man or not. I was never a fan of his acquisition, but also until he plays on a real team we’ll never know what he can be.

OK, but the GWG last night was unacceptable, and of a piece with him falling apart in the SO every GD time.

I am pretty close to deciding that he is not the guy long term -- and I am 100% glad that they only gave him a 1-year deal. 

He can still turn it around this year, but right now he's not earned the #1 job next year IMHO.

Responsible, sure. He was fine with the puck and even had a pretty hard looking shot (harder than any shot I saw him take last year). But away from the puck he is a disaster. Even when he's in position he's not big, strong, or fast enough to affect the play. I definitely wouldn't agree that he earned his ice time. But I saw what Dudacek saw, Phil giving him Okposo's spot for the night.

:( It was a good 5 year run here

What the heck does this cryptic post mean?

I think I figured this out and I, certainly, did not mean that you were the clown.  I think you knew that it was that other clown, which, as I expected nfreeman took care of after the cake and ice cream.

I think I figured this out and I, certainly, did not mean that you were the clown.  I think you knew that it was that other clown, which, as I expected nfreeman took care of after the cake and ice cream.

It means that Randall is in full "not worthy for anything nice" 1st year grad student mode (which is much like puberty, except you have to grade papers to receive your allowance & you get less sleep) & figures he'll get banned for engaging the troll.

Randall - sorry, n isn't going to let you out of here that easily. :p

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.