GDT: Sabres at Islanders, Sat 10/7/17, 7:00 PM

nfreeman

My 2 cents:

- Reino had 2 offensive zone TOs that led directly to NYI goals. And he produced zero offense to compensate (other than a sweet pass on the PP in the 1st).

- My biggest disappointment tonight though was Risto. After a huge opening night he was invisible tonight. No offense, quite a few lousy passes, a big failure to hold the zone on the last PP and no physical presence in the D zone. That was not the effort of a franchise defenseman.

- Lehner was meh.

- for a while Kaner looked like the only Sabre that gave a crap.

- I think ROR is too good and conscientious a player not to bounce back from this poor start — but if we could get Tavares, with an extension, for ROR and next year’s #1, I would do that in a heartbeat.

- the Islanders are a really fast team.

- Beaulieu’s TO for the shorty was one of the biggest gaffes I can remember seeing in an NHL game.

- They played fast and entertaining again. They need better PP execution and ROR, KO and Reino to start producing and they will be fine.

OUCH! Sam -5

Does he have a future with the Sabres? Just wondering.

I don't know. O'Reilly is -3 after two games. Okposo is -5 after two games. Do they have futures here? At least those two have each other on the same line. Reinhart gets the likes of Zemgus Girgensons, Jacob Josefson, and Matt Moulson as linemates and people are surprised that nothing good is coming out of this?!

Let me remind you all that Sam Reinhart finished 142nd and then 114th in league scoring during his first two pro years. That's considered high-end second scoring line production. And this was accomplished under a Dan Bylsma offense. And at a position that was new to him. And he's still only 21 years old.

I like Coach Housley. He was my first choice during the head coach search this past off-season. But he needs to quickly wise up and pair Reinhart back with Eichel and let them continue with whatever chemistry they had for the past two years. Let Sam build his confidence back up a bit now and try the center experiment next year.

By the way, Gionta is still a free agent. Why aren't we trying to sign him? Are we worried that he will keep such hockey powerhouses as Seth Griffith and Jordan Nolan out of the lineup?

Our PP is good when Jack shoots. They aren't setting Jack up enough. Every time he takes a one-timer it's dangerous. Why on Earth would we try to do anything but that?

I was thinking this all night. Washington's entire power play is designed around the idea that Backstrom is going to pass to Ovechkin. That threat is what allows them to create space. Our power play needs to emphasize the Risto to Jack set up. I was begging for it all game.

That sucked. I think Lehner might've flipped his lid when Beaiuleaieui royally up. I wonder what he thought when Housley put him right back on the ice after that.

I love that move from Housley even though it didn't pay off. Emphasize to your guys to keep trying to make plays. Very un-Bylsma like.

That was a new kind of goal from Eichel. This kid is special.

Kane has been incredible

My takeaways:

1. The USA! USA! chant the anthem singer started got stuck in my craw the entire first period. Is the NHL, a predominantly non-American league, trying to be the "patriotic" sports alternative to the NFL? The anthem nonsense so far in two Sabres games has been the BLUE LIVES MATTER bumper sticker to the BLM movement. In other words: stupid.

2. I also wasn't able to concentrate on the second period after McCabe's BBG. His girlfriend is so not into him. Who looks at their phone while on a boat in the middle of summer in Chicago while your pro athlete boyfriend is steering like a badass?

3. Dan somehow managed to rhyme Pouliot and Beaulieu with one of the dread diseases of the 20th century.

4. Housley not pulling the goalie at the start of the late power play (3 to go?) shows he's not the new-age thinker some might perceive him to be. It did make MIke Schopp's head explode, so there is that.

5. Robin Lehner is a mental midget and will never win a playoff series as the starting goaltender of the Buffalo Sabres.

6. This is an ominous start for the Sabres. One point to show after your home opener and a road opener where the other team played the night before and routed you is not a sign you are going anywhere.

That's all. Yup, I mailed this one in, just like the Sabres.

It is (sadly) amusing to see that there are enough issues and problems to spread the blame all over the place and end up with very little consensus.  

Its sad I'm agreeing with the most pessimistic poster on this board  :P

Still won't blame Lehner though, he was left alone on most goals.

Not great. Really starting to regret picking him, though it's clear missing out on Babcock is the real issue.

I absolutely believe that while missing out on the dynamic duo of McNugget and Mathews missing out on Babs was by far the biggest downfall of this team (mind you even detroit is now 2-0 and look good while we look, well, the same old tired crew)

Doesn't mean I can't expect a lot more out of him

Does it mean we can expect more out of you?  If you want to completely put aside facts and logic and all that...

There will be plenty available if Sabres season is over by december....again

Sweet... I get to take my kid to a few games this year then?  Love it.  He loves watching a hockey GAME.

He is not the best player on this team.

The VGK are 2 0 0.

Who have they played?  Yea.. thought so.

My takeaways:

1. The USA! USA! chant the anthem singer started got stuck in my craw the entire first period. Is the NHL, a predominantly non-American league, trying to be the "patriotic" sports alternative to the NFL? The anthem nonsense so far in two Sabres games has been the BLUE LIVES MATTER bumper sticker to the BLM movement. In other words: stupid.

2. I also wasn't able to concentrate on the second period after McCabe's BBG. His girlfriend is so not into him. Who looks at their phone while on a boat in the middle of summer in Chicago while your pro athlete boyfriend is steering like a badass?

3. Dan somehow managed to rhyme Pouliot and Beaulieu with one of the dread diseases of the 20th century.

4. Housley not pulling the goalie at the start of the late power play (3 to go?) shows he's not the new-age thinker some might perceive him to be. It did make MIke Schopp's head explode, so there is that.

5. Robin Lehner is a mental midget and will never win a playoff series as the starting goaltender of the Buffalo Sabres.

6. This is an ominous start for the Sabres. One point to show after your home opener and a road opener where the other team played the night before and routed you is not a sign you are going anywhere.

That's all. Yup, I mailed this one in, just like the Sabres.

The anthem nonsense?  The Sabres have no control over the Islanders production.  The fact that the wonderful lady felt the desire to stand for the anthem does not need to be a reflection on any political garbage being thrown around.  She served her country.  I would expect HER to do everything SHE can to stand and that's what SHE did. 

Housley not pulling the goalie was brilliant.. because Johnson made a save that would have been a goal had he NOT been there.  They had already given up 2 SHGs in the game and have looked like crap on the PP.  But hey, yeah, it would be smart to pull your goalie with 3 minutes left and allow the islanders an even better chance of throwing the puck down the ice or scoring on an open net when they broke out of the zone.  If the Sabres could not score 5 on 4 with that lineup on the ice, they don't deserve to win.  The 6th skater wasn't going to do crap.  As it was, when he DID pull Johnson it took Kane and Okposo to keep the 6th goal out of the net.  

The anthem nonsense?  The Sabres have no control over the Islanders production.  The fact that the wonderful lady felt the desire to stand for the anthem does not need to be a reflection on any political garbage being thrown around.  She served her country.  I would expect HER to do everything SHE can to stand and that's what SHE did. 

It's not on her (although she did tip her hand in the News article). It's on the Sabres for trying to orchestrate a moment and using her in the process.

Housley not pulling the goalie was brilliant.. because Johnson made a save that would have been a goal had he NOT been there.

Dunleavy made the same point. Unless Housley had a crystal ball, the point is moot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.