GDT: Sabres at Islanders, Sat 10/7/17, 7:00 PM

nfreeman

Had 2 pts and was the best Sabre.I predict every one of the 5 posts you have here will contain the words "Ryan Leaf".

Primary assist and goal, averaging a point and a half a game. There is plenty of blame to go around, but to single out Jack is just silly

My takeaways:

1. The USA! USA! chant the anthem singer started got stuck in my craw the entire first period. Is the NHL, a predominantly non-American league, trying to be the "patriotic" sports alternative to the NFL? The anthem nonsense so far in two Sabres games has been the BLUE LIVES MATTER bumper sticker to the BLM movement. In other words: stupid.

2. I also wasn't able to concentrate on the second period after McCabe's BBG. His girlfriend is so not into him. Who looks at their phone while on a boat in the middle of summer in Chicago while your pro athlete boyfriend is steering like a badass?

3. Dan somehow managed to rhyme Pouliot and Beaulieu with one of the dread diseases of the 20th century.

4. Housley not pulling the goalie at the start of the late power play (3 to go?) shows he's not the new-age thinker some might perceive him to be. It did make MIke Schopp's head explode, so there is that.

5. Robin Lehner is a mental midget and will never win a playoff series as the starting goaltender of the Buffalo Sabres.

6. This is an ominous start for the Sabres. One point to show after your home opener and a road opener where the other team played the night before and routed you is not a sign you are going anywhere.

That's all. Yup, I mailed this one in, just like the Sabres.

This is all great! :)

The lack of talent at the wing positions is already quite evident and very disturbing. There is simply no talent left for Reinhart for a third scoring line. Maybe it's time to move him back to wing and wait until Nylander and Mittelstadt arrive before shifting him back again to center? Outside of a top 6 of Eichel, Kane, Pominville, Okposo, O'Reilly, and Reinhart, I don't see anyone on this roster that provides any hope of scoring goals. Girgensons, Pouliot, and Moulson are pure garbage to me. 

By the way, what the ###### ever happened to Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching? I thought at least 1-2 of them was supposed to make the jump to the pros. I've been out of the loop for the past couple of months. I do know that Nylander has been injured, so that's his excuse.

I fully realize that it has only been 2 games, but I have been following this team religiously for the past 6 seasons. I'm tired of watching games for "player development" and draft lottery potential. If this is going to be a 7th straight season of no playoffs, maybe I should take a break from hockey until this franchise can learn to get its act together.

I'm all into Sam playing the wing. Something has to be done to get Sam, ROR and Okposo going. Why not maximize their talent and play them together?

- Beaulieu’s TO for the shorty was one of the biggest gaffes I can remember seeing in an NHL game.

-fine.

Some people around here have been warning us he does things like that. I still think his upside is tremendous. He adds a lot but that mistake was pathetic and opened the flood gates for the goals afterwards. Hopefully he gets older and wiser and those things disappear.

It's not on her (although she did tip her hand in the News article). It's on the Sabres for trying to orchestrate a moment and using her in the process.

Dunleavy made the same point. Unless Housley had a crystal ball, the point is moot.

So, your premise is that the Sabres orchestrated this.  They had asked her to attend the anthem last year but she declined because she did not have the strength to stand.  She worked hard so she could stand and the Sabres invited her back.  Just because the rest of the country has gone bonkers over the anthem does not mean that this story line has to tie into it.  I guess they should have not invited her because people might make more out of it than they should?  So, then what?  She works very hard to stand and then is not invited because people might make something out of it that is not there?  Garbage.

Hardly a moot point.  Here's the coaching breakdown of the decision making process.  My team has surrendered two short handed goals this game.  We've not shown an ability to keep the puck in the offensive zone.  If I pull the goalie there is a greater chance the opposition will score another SHG and then our ability come back will be severely hampered.  My team has to show they can dominate 5 on 4.  Moreover, we are already down 2 goals.  Getting a SINGLE goal does not tie the game.  Therefore, you don't pull the goalie.

Johnson's save is only confirmation that Housley made the right decision.  Okposo and Kane saving other opportunities are the icing on the cake.  

My takeaways:

1. The USA! USA! chant the anthem singer started got stuck in my craw the entire first period. Is the NHL, a predominantly non-American league, trying to be the "patriotic" sports alternative to the NFL? The anthem nonsense so far in two Sabres games has been the BLUE LIVES MATTER bumper sticker to the BLM movement. In other words: stupid.

Ugh, just ugh on the anthem take. Being patriotic is rarely a bad thing. While American players are not in the majority, most of the teams are American based, the money paid is based in US Dollars, and its a tradition to play the anthem/s based on the team's location. When we were in Germany six years ago we played their anthem. Lastly I don't think the NYI chant was a shot at the NFL kneeling as much as it was uniting the country after a tragedy.  

It's not on her (although she did tip her hand in the News article). It's on the Sabres for trying to orchestrate a moment and using her in the process.

She's 94 and a veteran from WWII, if she feels what they are doing is questionable, she has the right to say so. Her take is worth far more than any multi-millionaire players or billionaire owners in my opinion. The same goes for veterans that are okay with the protesting, I'll listen to them far more than random people on a soapbox.

The Sabres were bad most of the game, and left me feeling rather depressed. However some of you guys need to calm the hell down, its been two games..... Callaway we know you hate Reinhart vehemently for some reason, did he steal your girlfriend or something. 

It would be hard to say Eichel has been bad, 3 pts in 2 games isn't bad. But I'd still like a bit more out of him in terms of shift to shift.

I think Lehner is doing his damnedest to kick me off his supporters list, I love his personality but his goaltending has yet to really improve over the last few years. 

To those who thought Risto was bad or quiet, I think that had to do with his partner's screw ups more than anything. Are you honestly going to pinch regardless of the strategy if your D partner seems completely inept at everything defense.  Not his best night for sure, but I think he had a chain at his ankle.

2 SHG in one game is absurd. Our PP needs a good bag skate or two, that was plain embarrassing. Hell had we scored even one PP goal we may have been in the game. What was Beaulieu thinking, he dropped the puck between Eichel and O'Reilly and closer to Tavares. 

On to NJ, we better damn win that game!

As a veteran, the whole anthem thing is frigging annoying, I mean what won't this country get all stupid over these days.....I can guarantee that it's the bs crap that people are all over and not actual real tangible issues... But I digress.

I haven't watched either game, but it's amazing the pulse here between game 1 and 2. After the Habs game, you'd think we're a brand new team and everyone was (mostly) happy with a loss.... But after reading this GDT, it's like we're in game 75 and sitting at 4 wins waiting for the lottery balls to be in our favor.

So since I couldn't watch, I use this place to get a good feel for the game, and this place does a great job of encapsulating what happened. We just sucked tonight then? I guess after 10 games is where my first benchmark is at when it comes to standings, and I also can't say a ton as I haven't seen the product yet.

F it, keep your chins up

I guess u can protest just not in anyway that makes me notice plz

Ugh, I wish we had taken Strome instead of Jack "Ryan Leaf" Eichel.

Flagg I've seen the ' Ryan Leaf ' comment numerous times on this GDT and I get the Jack Ryan reference but wtf is really going on? lol  I must have missed something upstream.

Lets see what they do tomorrow. The matinee is always difficult it seems. Hopefully they bounce back.

I firmly believe this roster still needs to turn over a few players. The lack of good wingers is apparent. I think JBotts is the right GM to do this.

I would like to see Jack carrying the puck more through the neutral zone. He's the best in the league at zone entries so let's use him for it. I also agree with posts that they need to set up their PP with the intention of getting him the one timer. It's leathal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.