Sabres claim Jordan Nolan off waivers

SabresFanInRochester

I would like to add someone like Rattie to the group to see if he can skate with the boys.  I'm really concerned that we're spreading our wings out thin.  But, either way Nolan brings winning edge, and experience.  We could use as much of that as possible.  Bye Nic Deslauriers.

I haven't seen much preseason action, but I've followed along on Twitter with people like Kris Baker and similar pundit types.

On two occasions, maybe even in different games, I can recall a Tweet and subsequent replies about how D-Lo's play was a mystery right now. Basically, Baker's content indicated that D-Lo was exhibiting neither the energy nor physicality that he needed to show in order to be useful to an NHL team.

My speculation.... the multiple concussions Dlo has had throughout his career have caught up with him.  I think he's spent.

But he skates, passes, shoots, and so on better than Des. Even if only a little bit better in each case, it's better.

Not saying he doesn't, but that's not the point of the post I was responding to

I have no use for Jordan Nolan on this team. However, I have less than no use for Nic Deslauriers on this team. Therefore, I'm every so slightly above complete indifference on this move.

Hey, he scored a goal tonight

This could mean Des finds himself the 13th forward on this roster and only dresses if they think they have a need for extra muscle which won't be often.

My own feeling is they just saw him out there and figured why not? Nolan is fast enough for Housley's system and tough enough for this new softer nhl to be about as physical as you want to go most of the time.

Most of all, good work ethic and attitude and that is something maybe a little lacking with some of these guys that'll be going back to Rochester. They've had their chance to shine and most of them have shown a lot of not much.    

Attitude change is part of what this team needs. 

This move has a small upside, he's a vet with two cups and can fill in a bottom 6 role, and there is no real downside at all. If Garth from HBuzz likes the move, then it must have been the right thing to do! "the Sabres have added a hammer to protect their skilled guys..." says Garth

Ugh. I don't think the enforcer role exists anymore. Every player gets slashed, punched, speared, or hit in some illegal fashion. No one on the other team is worried about a punching bag jumping them for their deeds.

Ugh. I don't think the enforcer role exists anymore. Every player gets slashed, punched, speared, or hit in some illegal fashion. No one on the other team is worried about a punching bag jumping them for their deeds.

You're absolutely right, it's a way of the past and players seem to have more respect for each other than they did back then, not to say there aren't dirty hits, we just don't see them as much.  I highly doubt we ever see a Dale Hunter creaming Turgeon or McSorley trying to actually kill Brashear etc.

Here's a take: Enforcers are going to make a comeback since everything is cyclical. They just needed to become better skaters first. 

It’s not going away entirely. Edmonton has Lucic to protect McDavid, Toronto has Martin to protect Matthews and this past offseason Pittsburgh picked up Reaves to protect Crosby. I know Lucic may be a bad example because he can contribute and play hockey but the other teams realized they need to protect their prized assets. We have no one to protect Eichel or even Risto. Last year he was all over Matthews a few times, Martin got in his face, Risto backed off and Matthews took over.

It’s not going away entirely. Edmonton has Lucic to protect McDavid, Toronto has Martin to protect Matthews and this past offseason Pittsburgh picked up Reaves to protect Crosby. I know Lucic may be a bad example because he can contribute and play hockey but the other teams realized they need to protect their prized assets. We have no one to protect Eichel or even Risto. Last year he was all over Matthews a few times, Martin got in his face, Risto backed off and Matthews took over.

I don't remember this at all. 

I don't remember this at all.

I noticed it in two different leafs games where Risto was playing Matthews tough, taking the body and doing some talking. After Martin went up to him and had a few words Matthews took over. I remember thinking Risto had just been intimidated and it showed in his performance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.