Sabres claim Jordan Nolan off waivers

SabresFanInRochester

https://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2017/9/26/16371214/jordan-nolan-waivers-jeff-zatkoff-los-angeles-kings-waived-training-camp-news

[Excerpt from the Kings unofficial fan page]

However, it was somewhat surprising to learn that management had decided to waive Nolan because he was the gritty type of player that both Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter loved. He was a good soldier who put in his work, never complained, and did what was expected of him. Unfortunately for Nolan, the demand for an enforcer type with limited offensive ability has all but disappeared from the NHL, especially as teams continue to get younger, faster, and more skilled. Also, there’s no more Lombardi, and no more Sutter.

Some may be wondering: why Nolan over Kyle Clifford or Andy Andreoff? That, I don’t have an answer for but management clearly feels that both are a touch better than Nolan is. They’re all fairly interchangeable, but both Clifford and Andreoff are slightly better offensively (and both are two years younger). This improves both of their odds of cracking the Opening Night lineup, and it’s also good news for the Kings’ younger forwards as they attempt to make the roster.

The Kings drafted Nolan in the seventh round of the 2009 NHL Draft, with the 186th overall pick. Since being called up to the NHL in 2012, he’s tallied a total of 20 goals and 22 assists. Oh, and he also won the Stanley Cup twice with LA and had some amazing photos taken with Lord Stanley’s trophy.

@WGR550
#Sabres GM Jason Botterill on the addition of Jordan Nolan:
“We’re happy to bring Jordan into the mix... (1/2)

@WGR550  2m2 minutes ago

"His size & speed, along with his experience with such a successful organization like the Kings make him an asset to the organization (2/2)"

You guys are gonna like Nolan. Trust me. 

I doubt it

Edited by WildCard

@WGR550

@WGR550  2m2 minutes ago

"His size & speed, along with his experience with such a successful organization like the Kings make him an asset to the organization (2/2)"

I doubt it

He's the perfect 4th liner. Have a little faith baby. 

I was going to mention yesterday that I'd totally waive Des for either of Nolan or Flynn. Happy with the move.

Murray had so many moments where I put "small" checkmarks next to his moves where I didn't totally like certain parts of them, and those added up over time. Botts keeps getting small checkmarks in the other direction. 

@WGR550

@WGR550  2m2 minutes ago

I doubt it

I find it interesting and refreshing that Botterill seems to focus just as much on the bottom player on the roster as the top guys. It would be refreshing if the fourth line or last forward on the team makes a contribution, rather than just being the leftovers from not making the top lines.

You see this in his focus on Rochester's roster as well. We'll see if it makes a difference.

He's the perfect 4th liner. Have a little faith baby. 

I was going to mention yesterday that I'd totally waive Des for either of Nolan or Flynn. Happy with the move.

Murray had so many moments where I put "small" checkmarks next to his moves where I didn't totally like certain parts of them, and those added up over time. Botts keeps getting small checkmarks in the other direction. 

I mean he was a part of the Kings system of size and grit, and the quote above demonstrates what kind of player he is. Maybe his possession numbers actually carry over and he can maintain that, but I have a hard time getting excited about a player from the Kings system that is now let go once they decide to go in a new direction, away from what made the Kings terrible these past few years

I mean he was a part of the Kings system of size and grit, and the quote above demonstrates what kind of player he is. Maybe his possession numbers actually carry over and he can maintain that, but I have a hard time getting excited about a player from the Kings system that is now let go once they decide to go in a new direction, away from what made the Kings terrible these past few years

Let's assume that Rob Blake doesn't know what he's doing. 

No reason to get excited, but it's a shrewd move if it winds up in keeping Des and Moulson further from the ice. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.