The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Samson had awesome hair in the Bible.

until he didn't.

So to go with the metaphor, Reinhart before the draft was the guy with the hair and after he got drafted came the loss of all that potential strength.

I'd love to be wrong about Reinhart, but I just don't see it and IF we do in fact play in a faster skating system eventually he will look even worse. 

until he didn't.

So to go with the metaphor, Reinhart before the draft was the guy with the hair and after he got drafted came the loss of all that potential strength.

I'd love to be wrong about Reinhart, but I just don't see it and IF we do in fact play in a faster skating system eventually he will look even worse.

Your shtick is getting old

I hate anything with Moulson in it on any of the top four lines.  He's a spot use player on the PP and as a 13th forward.  I believe he's been passed by career AHL'er Seth Griffith as well as Bailey and possibly one of Baptiste or Fasching.  This team is either going to be a really high paced team, or a barn fire.  There are legit holes on the wings on multiple lines.  But, you have to create depth by giving opportunity.  

I hate anything with Moulson in it on any of the top four lines.  He's a spot use player on the PP and as a 13th forward.  I believe he's been passed by career AHL'er Seth Griffith as well as Bailey and possibly one of Baptiste or Fasching.  This team is either going to be a really high paced team, or a barn fire.  There are legit holes on the wings on multiple lines.  But, you have to create depth by giving opportunity.

Seeing a guy as washed up as Moulson get shots in the lineup in general, never mind on a top line, reminds me how deep a hole the tank dug us into, one that we are still trying to climb out of.

if healthy, I predict the opening D will be:

Risto - Beaulieu

McCabe - Scandella

Bogo - Antipin

Jorges is on the roster as the injury fill in.

McCabe won't play with Scandella as they both play the left side. Also, Bogosian and Antipin both generally play the right side, so they likely won't be paired together.

It'll be Scandella, McCabe and Beaulieu on the left, Ristolainen, Bogosian and Antipin on the right, injuries notwithstanding.

9 Evander Kane - 15 Jack Eichel - 29 Jason Pominville

28 Zemgus Girgensons - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 21 Kyle Okposo

67 Benoit Pouliot - 23 Sam Reinhart - 25 Seth Griffith

26 Matt Moulson - 22 Johan Larsson - 13 Nicholas Baptiste

44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 10 Jacob Josefson - 95 Justin Bailey

Marco Scandella - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

82 Nathan Beaulieu - 47 Zach Bogosian

Josh Gorges - 93 Victor Antipin

41 Justin Falk - 5 Matt Tennyson

38 Cody Goloubef - 27 Taylor Fedun

40 Robin Lehner

31 Chad Johnson

35 Linus Ullmark

This is the lineup that Housley utilized in practice.  Housley also is assuming McCabe will be ready for the opener.  If we assume that McCabe partners with Bogo, then Baloo plays 3rd line with Antipin and Gorges is on the bench (Yeah!).  How the 3rd and 4th line shake out should be very interesting.  According to Sabres.com  Reinhart has play center all camp (but Housley "may" still try him at wing).  I love the 1st 2 line but that 3rd line of Sam, Pouliot and Griffith is pretty week.  

McCabe won't play with Scandella as they both play the left side. Also, Bogosian and Antipin both generally play the right side, so they likely won't be paired together.

It'll be Scandella, McCabe and Beaulieu on the left, Ristolainen, Bogosian and Antipin on the right, injuries notwithstanding.

Wasn't thinking right/left so sure. We agree on the 6 though.

With E-Rod and Nylander hurt, and none of Bailey-Baptiste-Smith-Fasching impressing in the pre-season, do the Sabres consider calling Gionta and maybe giving him a 1 year deal? (I am not condoning or against the idea, just asking the question since the Sabres seem to be in a bind on the 3rd line) I was really hoping that one of the above 'kids' would have been a standout, but no one has impressed that much, there's still time though I suppose.  IMO the spot is E-Rod's, however, how bad is his wrist/hand, will he miss much time?  There hasn't been any updates.

PP in practice today!

1st unit: Jack, Sam, ROR, KO and Risto

2nd unit: Kane, Moulson, Pommers, Bogo and Beaulieu

Push ups if you miss the net on a shot.  Pommers must be doing more push ups then practicing.

Why? Does hitting the goalie's chest protector not count as a shot on net anymore?

Or was that Stafford that tried to score through the goalie instead of around him?

With E-Rod and Nylander hurt, and none of Bailey-Baptiste-Smith-Fasching impressing in the pre-season, do the Sabres consider calling Gionta and maybe giving him a 1 year deal? (I am not condoning or against the idea, just asking the question since the Sabres seem to be in a bind on the 3rd line) I was really hoping that one of the above 'kids' would have been a standout, but no one has impressed that much, there's still time though I suppose.  IMO the spot is E-Rod's, however, how bad is his wrist/hand, will he miss much time?  There hasn't been any updates.

no. Bailey or Griffith is going to take that 3rd line RW spot. I think there are no chances for Buffalo bringing back Gionta now. They would have done it b4 training camp. 

I think Bailey might have lost his shot with Nolan coming on board. Unless Pouliot has played his way off the team, which is highly possible. Management often favours the guys they brought in though, at least initially,  so maybe not.

Nolan isn't playing right wing on line 3. Aside from the fact he's not good enough, has anyone else noticed how Housley is structuring the lines? Left shots are on the left, right shots on the right. Even in practice. The only real exception I've seen in Larsson at 4R last night.

Everyone wants to get Jack a talented winger with whom he can develop chemistry.

Everyone wants to give Sam a talented running mate on line three.

The concept of Alex Nylander is the answer to our prayers.

Come on man, develop, and take Kane's spot with Jack.

Everyone wants to get Jack a talented winger with whom he can develop chemistry.

Everyone wants to give Sam a talented running mate on line three.

The concept of Alex Nylander is the answer to our prayers.

Come on man, develop, and take Kane's spot with Jack.

That would certainly fix a lot of our talent issues on the wing. Unfortunately I don't see it happening until the end of this season. The likely scenario (I think) will be Nylander taking Kane's spot at the trade deadline when we auction Kane off for whatever we can get for him. Reinhart will probably have to wait for either Asplund or Mittelstadt, although they'll probably give that person to O'Reilly at that point, leaving Reinhart to have to wait for Pu to get here.

Edited by Drunkard

And down goes Baptiste. The Sabres have sent Nick to the Amerks. He is a guy that needs to be playing big minutes and he wasn't going to do that in Buffalo.

So who is left? Nylander, Malone and ERod remain only do to injury. Bailey, Delo, Nolan, Griffith, Josefson and Moulson battling for the last few slots?

Where are we now?

Kane, Eichel, Pommers

Big Z, ROR, KO

Pouliot Reinhart ????

???? Larsson/????

???? and maybe a 14th forward?????

If 14 forwards, then only 7 D, which means Gorges stays and Falk, Fedun and Tennyson are sent down. Has the Avs castoff on the PTO made any impact on camp?

So how will this play out. Bailey can still be sent down. The rest have to go through waivers. I think they really want Griffith and Bailey to make the team for their speed. According to the articles, Delo has had a good camp as a PKer

Edited by GASabresFan

And down goes Baptiste. The Sabres have sent Nick to the Amerks. He is a guy that needs to be playing big minutes and he wasn't going to do that in Buffalo.

So who is left? Nylander, Malone and ERod remain only do to injury. Bailey, Delo, Nolan, Griffith, Josefson and Moulson battling for the last few slots?

Where are we now?

Kane, Eichel, Pommers

Big Z, ROR, KO

Pouliot Reinhart ????

???? Larsson/????

???? and maybe a 14th forward?????

If 14 forwards, then only 7 D, which means Gorges stays and Falk, Fedun and Tennyson are sent down. Has the Avs castoff on the PTO made any impact on camp?

Other than giving us flashbacks of last oreseason's Falk by hanging him out to dry on the 1st goal, not noticeably. (Though in fairness, really haven't been trying to watch for him.)

Nolan isn't playing right wing on line 3. Aside from the fact he's not good enough, has anyone else noticed how Housley is structuring the lines? Left shots are on the left, right shots on the right. Even in practice. The only real exception I've seen in Larsson at 4R last night.

Not saying Nolan replaces Bailey. Saying someone who might have been seen as 4th line bumps up and Nolan takes that spot. I think Larsson may also not make the final cut.