Sweater Buying Etiquette

Taro T

Apologies if this thread was already started a while back.

Curious what the board thinks about Geezers buying sweaters of guys that are basically as young as their kids (or grandkids, looking out for you Doohickie ;)). I've always been opposed, but am thinking about getting an Eichel. (Yes, he will sign the 8 year contract.)

He iS my favorite player since Hasek. ( And I've got a Spacek, Rivet, & old school Gare since then.)

Support the team and players by buying and wearing gear if you want. TONS of fans of all ages wear player jerseys for all sorts of reasons.  Wear it proudly if that's how you feel.  You should be comfy about how you celebrate your team, what you wear, and why.  And hell, if you want it as a collectible only, you can always frame it, maybe get it signed.

I know of an extremely tiny fraction of fans that say "I won't wear another man's name on my back," but in general, those guys are weirder than the rest of us.  Other fans I know don't have a favorite player or don't want to shell out cash for a jersey of a player they think might not be around in a few years, but they will wear a blank to support the team.  Still a minority though.

Once the contract is signed and the captains are announced, I'm gonna get an Adidas Authentic Eichel.  It'll probably be the most I've ever spent on Sabres anything.  I'll wear it and love it like I have all of my other jerseys.  I have jerseys that I'll love for the rest of my life, like my Wisconsin jersey, which I wore to every game when I went to school there and got signed by the seven key members of the team (Joe Pavelski, Brian Elliot, et al) before they won the 2006 NCAA Championship.  After the Sabres win this whole thing, you might still be wearing that jersey in 20 years with some pretty fond memories.

I think Geezers are fine wearing jerseys. I mean, what grows old in terms of loving your team and its players? Oh, sure, players aren't heroes anymore, and that's different. However, I don't think players need to be heroes before you wear their jersey. Have fun. IKP said it best. Critics would seem to have issues, as I see things.

I personally can't do it--the only sweater I have with a name on it is a script Buffalo third with #29, and that's only because that sweater's design relies on the yellow nameplate and stitched number.  I don't wear it; it's displayed on a shelf at the office.  I have some blank sweaters that I wear.

But I can't condemn it either. 

Now, if you're gonna rock a sweater that says "WHOPPER 69" on the back or something, yeah, that I'm going to condemn.  There used to be a Buffalo-based blogger who took photos of such stuff and commented on them, but I forget the name of the site.

Apologies if this thread was already started a while back.

Curious what the board thinks about Geezers buying sweaters of guys that are basically as young as their kids (or grandkids, looking out for you Doohickie ;)). I've always been opposed, but am thinking about getting an Eichel. (Yes, he will sign the 8 year contract.)

He iS my favorite player since Hasek. ( And I've got a Spacek, Rivet, & old school Gare since then.)

I think it's okay. Just be smart and go with an established player. No one is gonna want to see a grown ass man in a Grigorenko jersey.

Oh man doesn't Liger have a Grigorenko junior jersey?

And if he does, that was an awesome jersey! Especially the cream white one.

I got no beef with people wearing jerseys or sweaters. I personally don't because I like to get them signed and hung up in my man cave. Some people use them as fashion, I use them as decorations.

I personally can't do it--the only sweater I have with a name on it is a script Buffalo third with #29, and that's only because that sweater's design relies on the yellow nameplate and stitched number.  I don't wear it; it's displayed on a shelf at the office.  I have some blank sweaters that I wear.

But I can't condemn it either. 

Now, if you're gonna rock a sweater that says "WHOPPER 69" on the back or something, yeah, that I'm going to condemn.  There used to be a Buffalo-based blogger who took photos of such stuff and commented on them, but I forget the name of the site.

Sick jersey bro: http://sickjerseybro.blogspot.com/

If anyone is looking for a deal, there's this:

http://shop.nhl.com/Buffalo_Sabres_Jerseys/Mens_Buffalo_Sabres_Ville_Leino_Reebok_Navy_Blue_Home_Premier_Jersey

I am anti-blank. If you are going to get a jersey, get your favorite player and wear it proud. Jerseys purchased over the years are like time capsules. You can wear. I love seeing the old school names on the backs of geezers.

I agree. I saw tons of Sabres sweaters in Carolina back in 2006, but the only one that stuck out was a home-white Ruuttu.

I am anti-blank. If you are going to get a jersey, get your favorite player and wear it proud. Jerseys purchased over the years are like time capsules. You can wear. I love seeing the old school names on the backs of geezers.

If I could get an authentic Perreault I would.  I think it's ok if the guy is like a generation older than me.

I think it's a little weird, but it. If you want it, buy it.

I don't wear jerseys, and the last Bills game I went to, I looked around and thought just how weird it was. It didn't seem all that different from one of those medieval fairs where people are all dressed up walking around eating a chicken leg (I imagine those are really fun, too, though.)

If I could get an authentic Perreault I would.  I think it's ok if the guy is like a generation older than me.

Yep.

I have 2. An Eichel and autographed ROR. Both white both gifts. I wore the Eichel at a local pond hockey tourney and that's it. The ROR is in a case. If I were to buy one it would be a home Perreault. What I want are one of the new addidas hoodies with 15 on it. I would wear that everyday.

I once posted that I wanna get a classic blue #55 Risto and a bunch of you snobs started having a stroke.

Present names on old school jerseys is a no no. You can sometimes still find old school blanks and have them personalized for your favorite player, but not through NHL.com. Some weird licensing issue. Never had an issue with local sports uniform places doing it. Had a classic Rob Ray jersey done up for one of my kids when he was little. Got it signed eventually.

Present names on old school jerseys is a no no. You can sometimes still find old school blanks and have them personalized for your favorite player, but not through NHL.com. Some weird licensing issue. Never had an issue with local sports uniform places doing it. Had a classic Rob Ray jersey done up for one of my kids when he was little. Got it signed eventually.

A place like IceJerseys can probably take care of it. I have a retro blue jersey I want to get someone weird on. Maybe I'll get a Housley  :P

Also, speaking of jerseys, thanks to 2 For Tripping for hooking me up with a Goathead Hasek and Satan through the trading post here. My goathead collection is up to Gilmour, Shields, Hasek and Satan now. 

A place like IceJerseys can probably take care of it. I have a retro blue jersey I want to get someone weird on. Maybe I'll get a Housley :P

Also, speaking of jerseys, thanks to 2 For Tripping for hooking me up with a Goathead Hasek and Satan through the trading post here. My goathead collection is up to Gilmour, Shields, Hasek and Satan now.

Why not a Housley? Seems I always saw a couple Ruff jerseys every time I was at the rink.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.