Sweater Buying Etiquette

Taro T

Now that he's a coach, doesn't it count if you just wear a suit to the game?

Suits at games are almost as bad as putting your own name on the back of a jersey.

Well, if anyone knows where I can get any Sabres sweater from '70 to '86 customized, please let me know.

Get the jersey and any local sports equipment place that does uniforms can put a name plate and any number you want on it.

Suits at games are almost as bad as putting your own name on the back of a jersey.

Eleven was born in a suit thought and what if he is going to the game right from the office, or court?

I don't wear a suit often, but when I do I really like the look and feel of a finely tailored garment.

I've got an authentic old-school white Perreault, an authentic Miller blue that the kids got me the year we dumped the slug and one more I've mentioned on here before.

I've also got nameless, numberless versions of every other jersey we've worn except those cool retro scripty blues Eleven mentioned, which I intend to get at some point. Wore those all the time when I was playing floor and road hockey three times a week.

Rarely wear any now, but love having them.

Your statement. Buy and wear what you want.

Even if it's an authentic game-worn Joel Armia turdburger.

Edited by dudacek

Oh man doesn't Liger have a Grigorenko junior jersey?

Signed even

And if he does, that was an awesome jersey! Especially the cream white one.

I got no beef with people wearing jerseys or sweaters. I personally don't because I like to get them signed and hung up in my man cave. Some people use them as fashion, I use them as decorations.

I'll get a picture...

Here we go. Mistakes were made. 

post-4822-0-58826000-1505578019_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-83721500-1505578053_thumb.jpg

Nothing worse than hour 12+ in the same suit. Bring a change of clothes to the office.

Believe me, if I'm wearing a suit, it's because I have to.  I hate them.  Jacket with no tie is my game.

But there's no vintage stuff there.  Only current and the turdburger.

Get the jersey and any local sports equipment place that does uniforms can put a name plate and any number you want on it.

That's the problem.  Where to find the vintage togs.

Believe me, if I'm wearing a suit, it's because I have to. I hate them. Jacket with no tie is my game.

But there's no vintage stuff there. Only current and the turdburger.

That's the problem. Where to find the vintage togs.

https://www.customthrowbackjerseys.com/categories/NHL-Vintage-Throwbacks/Buffalo-Sabres/

I'm not a fan of a customized sweater unless it's going on display.  I am not that player and therefore I don't want to wear the sweater. 

Wearing a blank sweater is much like wearing a jacket with the logo on it, or a t-shirt, etc.  It's a generic way of supporting the team.

A customized sweater on display is like a photo of a player, etc.  It's the representation of the the player contributions to the team for whom you root.

It's a pair of tickets or a nice dinner out. What did you expect for a personalized jersey?

I've never bought an authentic--just replicas--so I had no idea.

I can afford it; that's not the issue.  It's opportunity cost, as you say.  But thanks for the resource--I know what to ask for come December this year.

My 2 cents:

1.  I think you can wear the jersey of any player whose game you like.

2.  For us older dudes, I think the jerseys of past franchise greats are a bit cooler than those of current youngsters, but that is just a personal preference.

3.  The meathead variations of 69 and similar jerseys that 11 referred to are completely unacceptable.

4.  Not quite as bad, but still borderline NFW, are jerseys with your own name on them.

5.  Less bad than that, but still not great, are generic (no name or number) jerseys -- I think at that point you should just wear a Sabres shirt.

6.  The slug and goathead are just barely OK.

7.  My personal favorite non-classic jersey is the red alternate jersey from the goathead era.

8.  My issue with wearing a suit all day and then to a game is not so much the suit as it is the shoes and the accumulated clamminess after 16 hours.

My 2 cents:

1. I think you can wear the jersey of any player whose game you like.

2. For us older dudes, I think the jerseys of past franchise greats are a bit cooler than those of current youngsters, but that is just a personal preference.

3. The meathead variations of 69 and similar jerseys that 11 referred to are completely unacceptable.

4. Not quite as bad, but still borderline NFW, are jerseys with your own name on them.

5. Less bad than that, but still not great, are generic (no name or number) jerseys -- I think at that point you should just wear a Sabres shirt.

6. The slug and goathead are just barely OK.

7. My personal favorite non-classic jersey is the red alternate jersey from the goathead era.

8. My issue with wearing a suit all day and then to a game is not so much the suit as it is the shoes and the accumulated clamminess after 16 hours.

This is the rule. Other than #8. Agreed on the shoes, but the neck sweat and pits after 12+ hours is just too much for me. But I understand that work commitments and work related game attendance sometimes require it.

Personally, classic jerseys of players long gone are cool, whether they were franchise greats or not. I love seeing classic jerseys of obscure players.

Edited by korab rules

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.