Training camp questions #14: who will surprise us?

dudacek

FWIW, Someone I know on the "inside" - who has watched Beaulieu carefully - says he's a stud and just needs some confidence. He said he has tons of skill and we're lucky to have him.

I'm really excited to see him play. Feel like he could really surprise some people. The preliminary reports from the big guns (TSN guys) all said he can play, just got stuck with Bergevin / Michelle and never got a chance to thrive.

Beaulieau coughs up the puck and makes brain cramp decisions.

Can skate and shoot with the best of them and brings a surprising edge.

Really could flourish with what we expect Housley to preach;

Not been the most dedicated to hockey; maybe with the trade and age comes maturity.

Edited by dudacek

Jake McCabe. We all like his game. Phil Housley loved his game when he coached Team USA at the WJC making him team captain. I think he already has a ton of confidence in him. That is going to lead to bigger minutes. I can't wait to see what Phil has in store for Jake.

I like the Bogo answer as well. He would be my second choice.

I just wonder if Jake is an example of a player that was rushed into the NHL because of our shortage of defenseman. Could he have gained more by staying in AHL for a half more season? 

@Bob

I disagree that Jake was rushed. I argued two camps ago that I thought he would be the biggest surprise and was ready for the show.

He was drafted in 2012 (#44 overall) and played 2 full seasons for the University of Wisconsin plus an entire year for Rochester in his 3rd post draft season. So he had 3 full seasons of high quality hockey prior to the permanent jump. He was 22 when he started playing full time.

Let's compare that to Guhle who was sent back two straight OHL years and some are saying let him play atleast one season in Roch. I'm on board with that and it will also give him 3 post draft years of development prior to the NHL if he plays the whole year in Roch.

A guy like Zadorov is who they screwed around. He got sent back to the OHL for one season post draft before making the Sabres full time. Don't get me started on Grigorenko....

@Bob I disagree that Jake was rushed. I argued two camps ago that I thought he would be the biggest surprise and was ready for the show. He was drafted in 2012 (#44 overall) and played 2 full seasons for the University of Wisconsin plus an entire year for Rochester in his 3rd post draft season. So he had 3 full seasons of high quality hockey prior to the permanent jump. He was 22 when he started playing full time. Let's compare that to Guhle who was sent back two straight OHL years and some are saying let him play atleast one season in Roch. I'm on board with that and it will also give him 3 post draft years of development prior to the NHL if he plays the whole year in Roch. A guy like Zadorov is who they screwed around. He got sent back to the OHL for one season post draft before making the Sabres full time. Don't get me started on Grigorenko....

Thanks, I didn't know he was 22! I just remember he started out in AHL before they realized the defense in Buffalo was a disaster

@JeremyWGR Eichel saying he hasn't proven anything + a willingness to play out season w/o extension = "I'm planning on lighting it up."

@JeremyWGR Eichel calling his past seasons "mediocre" is a good indication of what he thinks he's capable of too.

Be still my heart!

McCabe won't surprise me, I actually expect him to be pretty good. He will surprise me if he isn't.

I am hoping Rodrigues will take the final step and learn how to finish the play. With his speed, I have him as a potential longshot to play with Eichel.

I think the biggest surprise will be Beaulieu. Housley will take him to the next level like he did with that Nashville D. 

Reinhart will surprise me if he can play Housley's system well. I hope I am wrong about him. 

@Bob I disagree that Jake was rushed. I argued two camps ago that I thought he would be the biggest surprise and was ready for the show. He was drafted in 2012 (#44 overall) and played 2 full seasons for the University of Wisconsin plus an entire year for Rochester in his 3rd post draft season. So he had 3 full seasons of high quality hockey prior to the permanent jump. He was 22 when he started playing full time. Let's compare that to Guhle who was sent back two straight OHL years and some are saying let him play atleast one season in Roch. I'm on board with that and it will also give him 3 post draft years of development prior to the NHL if he plays the whole year in Roch. A guy like Zadorov is who they screwed around. He got sent back to the OHL for one season post draft before making the Sabres full time. Don't get me started on Grigorenko....

Zadorov forced it a bit when he didn't want to go back to OHL and threatened to bolt to the KHL.

McCabe!  He might just earn the No.1 pairing slot with Risto.

That also might be a good thing.  It will take some pressure off Scandella and his repaired hip.

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Antipin

Beaulieu Bogosian

I really like those pairings.  Puts a heavy player on all three pairings.  Speed in all three pairings as well as a natural puck mover on all three pairings.

I thought Lehner and to a lesser extent Falk where our breakout players last year.  Lehner, considering how bad the D was, was arguably our best player.  

Here are some ideas for this season.

Obviously Antipin could be a huge surprise this season.  He is a complete unknown and if he performs half as good as Zaitsev did for Toronto we might really have something with him.

Also Jack is easy nominee. If he stays healthy odds are that he'll put up 80+ points.

However, my breakout player is Zemgus Girgensons.  By putting Big Z with ROR and KO, Wowie is giving him the chance to use his speed, size and fearless nature to maximum advantage.  Playing with gifted passers like ROR and KO, who can also score, might just be what the Dr ordered for Z to score 15-20 goals and tack on 20-25 assists.  Lets no forget that Z has scored 15 in the NHL.  

I thought Lehner and to a lesser extent Falk where our breakout players last year.  Lehner, considering how bad the D was, was arguably our best player.  

Here are some ideas for this season.

Obviously Antipin could be a huge surprise this season.  He is a complete unknown and if he performs half as good as Zaitsev did for Toronto we might really have something with him.

Also Jack is easy nominee. If he stays healthy odds are that he'll put up 80+ points.

However, my breakout player is Zemgus Girgensons.  By putting Big Z with ROR and KO, Wowie is giving him the chance to use his speed, size and fearless nature to maximum advantage.  Playing with gifted passers like ROR and KO, who can also score, might just be what the Dr ordered for Z to score 15-20 goals and tack on 20-25 assists.  Lets no forget that Z has scored 15 in the NHL.  

I was just discussing this topic with my friend actually, glad you brought it up.  I think you hit the nail on the head with Z, we saw what he could do under Nolan during the tank year and know what he's capable of in the right situation.  I believe he will take advantage of being on a line with RoR and KO.  35-45 pts for him is totally possible, RoR and KO working the puck and Z crashing the net popping in rebounds Andreychuk style.

I think Antipin will struggle most of October and November but will start to get it together after T-giving and have a good season, not great or break out, but, a good season.

That all said, I think we see a big year from McCabe because of Housley.  I read an article a while back that said McCabe was borderline in making the junior national team and Housley made the final decision and also made him the captain.  I remember watching the game against Canada and seeing McCabe score the first two goals of the game and the second being the game winner.  Then went on to win gold, and finally McCabe was named to the Junior tournament all-star team.  I think we see McCabe dominate on the 2nd pairing this year and put up 5G-20A.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.