Training camp questions #14: who will surprise us?

dudacek

3rd line might be a great spot for Reinhart to develop his mojo and develop some chemistry with Griffith and Poulliot (or whoever he ends up with).  Not considered a primary scoring line, not continually up against another team's best line.  Limited minutes perhaps.  All things considered, not a ton of pressure.  A little breathing room, perhaps, to figure out his center game at the NHL level.  And if things click, he might make his linemates look good.

3rd line might be a great spot for Reinhart to develop his mojo and develop some chemistry with Griffith and Poulliot (or whoever he ends up with).  Not considered a primary scoring line, not continually up against another team's best line.  Limited minutes perhaps.  All things considered, not a ton of pressure.  A little breathing room, perhaps, to figure out his center game at the NHL level.  And if things click, he might make his linemates look good.

I agree, but if Samson only matches this year's point total, there's going to be a bunch of people yelling bust. They'll conveniently ignore the drop in ice time and linemate quality.

I agree, but if Samson only matches this year's point total, there's going to be a bunch of people yelling bust. They'll conveniently ignore the drop in ice time and linemate quality.

If he matches last year's point total or even only slightly improves them while centering the 3rd line all season I'll be ecstatic. At that point I'll be campaigning for us to stop coddling the big money centers (O'Reilly and Eichel) with all the good wingers.

Even a slight drop in his production would be understandable given the things you stated (decreased TOI and lower quality linemates).

Edited by Drunkard

Or if he is invisible there will be a bunch of ppl yelling this excuse.

Edited by Derrico

Ummm, don't you earn your ice time with your play? 

You do, but having two really strong centers ahead of you is going to make that a tough row to hoe. But, if Samson ends up being better than Jack or ROR I think we all, even you :), will be ecstatic.

Or if he is invisible there will be a bunch of ppl yelling this excuse.

Also true! Samson is in either a no-win or no-lose situation depending on how the observer was predisposed to view him!

Edited by MattPie

You do, but having two really strong centers ahead of you is going to make that a tough row to hoe. But, if Samson ends up being better than Jack or ROR I think we all, even you :), will be ecstatic.

Also true! Samson is in either a no-win or no-lose situation depending on how the observer was predisposed to view him!

I dunno, I'm hoping to be able to see it both ways. If Samson stinks up the joint at centre, even with the likes of Pouliot and Bailey as his wings, I'd be comfortable with him moving back to wing and calling it a day. A good centre should be able to elevate those around him at least somewhat. I don't expect him to carry the line, but if we aren't even seeing flashes, he'd probably be best suited to wing.

I'm hoping and thinking he'll do well at C. We'll just have to wait and see.

I dunno, I'm hoping to be able to see it both ways. If Samson stinks up the joint at centre, even with the likes of Pouliot and Bailey as his wings, I'd be comfortable with him moving back to wing and calling it a day. A good centre should be able to elevate those around him at least somewhat. I don't expect him to carry the line, but if we aren't even seeing flashes, he'd probably be best suited to wing.

I'm hoping and thinking he'll do well at C. We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't think Sam is likely to stink it up at center.  But I don't think he'll create some great 3rd line mismatches either.

He'll be successful enough that the Sam-for-center crowd will be mollified, but I expect there will still be a strong argument that he's more valuable as Jack's RW.

Lehner. He stops 65+ percent of his shootout attempts, plus a .922 save percentage. Backstops us to a very good OT/SO record (and the playoffs).

Alternately, Reinhart shows us he's the versatile X-wing of the forward flight. Pads his numbers on the PP, but by end of season shows us what we really need to know about secondary scoring. 22-48-70.

I don't think Sam is likely to stink it up at center.  But I don't think he'll create some great 3rd line mismatches either.

He'll be successful enough that the Sam-for-center crowd will be mollified, but I expect there will still be a strong argument that he's more valuable as Jack's RW.

That's fair. As mentioned I'd likely fall into the first category if he's achieving some decent success there. I'd certainly be open to moving him back to wing if he's not excelling there, but I'd be happy with where he's at.

If Housley thought Reinhart and Eichel were good compliments for each other they'd be together. I think he feels Reinhart is too slow, he wants Eichel's line to play a faster game and Eichel will be paired with whoever can do that. Probably Kane and Pommer to start, maybe Rodrigues.

Is Pommer still faster than Andreyc--- I mean Reinhart?

Sam can't skate, he's soft as butter, he's got a bad attitude...

Larsson's faster and tougher, he should be the third line centre.

I mean there are like eight or nine more effective forwards in the lineup. The advanced stats clearly lie in his case.

We're probably best sliding him into Moulson's spot with sheltered fourth line minutes and some PP time.

Seriously, there have been like at least three players who have scored more points than him from his draft year and nearly a dozen who have more career points since the 2013 draft.

Why wait until he finishes five years in the league or turns 24?

Bust already and it will only get worse.

Edited by dudacek

Is Pommer still faster than Andreyc--- I mean Reinhart?

Sam can't skate, he's soft as butter, he's got a bad attitude...

Larsson's faster and tougher, he should be the third line centre.

I mean there are like eight or nine more effective forwards in the lineup. The advanced stats clearly lie in his case.

We're probably best sliding him into Moulson's spot with sheltered fourth line minutes and some PP time.

Seriously, there have been like at least three players who have scored more points than him from his draft year and nearly a dozen who have more career points since the 2013 draft.

Why wait until he finishes five years in the league or turns 24?

Bust already and it will only get worse.

Preach brother. No reason to even tune in this year. And obviously Housley "feels" the same way. Losin for Dahlin in 2018! ✌️

Pommer WAS faster. Is he still? Dunno.  Nylander is still the projected guy I think. Pommer would be a placeholder to allow the other lines to build continuity.

Don't actually understand why so many Reinhart fans have given up on Nylander. Seems contradictory. Reinhart was rubbish when he first showed up here. Struggled big time and was sent back. Nylander doesn't seem to earn that same amount of patience.

I think Nylander has (so far) shown some flaws, but he is really fast and you can't teach that at this level so I see more potential. I have not given up on him yet.  

Pommer WAS faster. Is he still? Dunno.  Nylander is still the projected guy I think. Pommer would be a placeholder to allow the other lines to build continuity.

Don't actually understand why so many Reinhart fans have given up on Nylander. Seems contradictory. Reinhart was rubbish when he first showed up here. Struggled big time and was sent back. Nylander doesn't seem to earn that same amount of patience.

I think Nylander has (so far) shown some flaws, but he is really fast and you can't teach that at this level so I see more potential. I have not given up on him yet.  

The difference, as I recall, was that after a year in the AHL, Reinhart made the NHL squad.  Nylander hasn't shown that yet.  I'm not down on him though.  Different players develop at different rates.  They drafted him because he showed the tools; eventually they should translate to the NHL.

The difference, as I recall, was that after a year in the AHL, Reinhart made the NHL squad.  Nylander hasn't shown that yet.  I'm not down on him though.  Different players develop at different rates.  They drafted him because he showed the tools; eventually they should translate to the NHL.

Just keep in mind that Nylander is younger for his draft year than Reinhart, played on an awful Rochester squad, and plays a game that I think will need to be tweaked to get it to work at the NHL level. He thinks he can skate around guys and forgets his teammates. This creates problems because he isn't the best player on the ice. 

I just want everyone to remember that Nylander is 19 and will be until March. He is still very young and we should not panic yet that a 19 year old is still trying to figure things out. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.