Training camp questions #8: what will Jason Pominville bring?

dudacek

Is he significantly slower than Samson?

Also, if the head and the hands can keep up, do the feet need to?

You're old enough to remember Dave Andreychuk feasting on all the open ice created by 16 and 89.

Well, I'm a Reino-as-top-line-winger skeptic, so that comparison doesn't really move the needle for me.

Regarding Andreychuk, he played in a slower league and had a much different game than Pommer -- planting that big keester in front of the goalie and using that enormous reach to snag pucks for putbacks.

As for the larger question about whether the feet need to be able to keep up if the hands and head are there -- although I can see Pommer being reasonably productive (as Reino was) on Jack's wing, I think Jack's line will be most effective if his wingers are able to pressure the defense in the transition game with speed and size.

I think when Eichel flies up the ice, he has the elite gift of being able to move a bit this way or that to bend the defense and create passing or shooting lanes.  If he has wingers who can fly up with him and finish or go to the net for a screen or rebound, or lay a big hit on the opposing defensemen -- it will create more scoring chances.

If Pommer has lost a step, I think sheltered minutes with a good playmaker (like what we hope Reino is) against lesser defensive groups will enable the Sabres to get the most out of him.

Well, I'm a Reino-as-top-line-winger skeptic, so that comparison doesn't really move the needle for me.

Regarding Andreychuk, he played in a slower league and had a much different game than Pommer -- planting that big keester in front of the goalie and using that enormous reach to snag pucks for putbacks.

As for the larger question about whether the feet need to be able to keep up if the hands and head are there -- although I can see Pommer being reasonably productive (as Reino was) on Jack's wing, I think Jack's line will be most effective if his wingers are able to pressure the defense in the transition game with speed and size.

I think when Eichel flies up the ice, he has the elite gift of being able to move a bit this way or that to bend the defense and create passing or shooting lanes.  If he has wingers who can fly up with him and finish or go to the net for a screen or rebound, or lay a big hit on the opposing defensemen -- it will create more scoring chances.

If Pommer has lost a step, I think sheltered minutes with a good playmaker (like what we hope Reino is) against lesser defensive groups will enable the Sabres to get the most out of him.

I like this take on Jack's game.

It's why I like him eventually with Fasching and Nylander — Fasching to bang the bodies and go to the net, Nylander to fly into the seams and bury the puck.

It's also why the speed and finish of Baptiste makes him my personal choice to play with Jack this year and be the Sabres most notable rookie.

Edited by dudacek

Pommers is one of the reasons I hope (Pray?) that Wowie gives Reinhart a look at 3rd line center.  Pommers is usually at his best with a playmaking center.  I can see Reinhart setting up Pommers for 20 goals.  This idea is contingent of course on one of the 3 RW prospects stepping up and convincing Wowie they can step in and contribute as Jack's (or ROR's ) RW.   

I think he can be a seamless Gionta replacement.

Without the veteran/young-un friction Gionta may have brought, and probably with more points, too.

I'm not optimistic about getting much out of Pommer.

Best case would be solid RW on the 3rd line with Reino and Kane, making smart plays, finishing chances with an undiminished one-timer, having enough life in his legs to play a regular shift effectively and showing the kids how to act like a pro.

Worst case is Moulson 2.0 -- a terrible contract for a guy with nothing left that we're stuck with for 2 years.

I think Minny thought he was closer to worst case than to best case, which is why they made the Sabres take him as part of the price for Scandella.

I'm reasonably optimistic that he hasn't fallen all the way to the worst case, but the best case seems unlikely too.

He had 47 points last year. Even if his production goes down by 10 points he's a solid 3rd line RW. The best case scenario you listed isn't unlikely, it's a near certainty.

Knows the frame of mind needed to get to the playoffs.  The next step the team needs to take is to even get there.  As such, I like to think Pommer will bring a sense of urgency early in the season, to light fires under players that are content to find their way early in the season when the Sabres need to be winning games.  The season is a marathon, sure, but it's a much easier race to run if you get off to a hot start.

Good post.

Great analysis.

There is a golden opportunity for one or more of the young wingers (including Zemgus) to seize a spot on Jack's line.

It's a coveted NHL slot. 

Who will grab it?

This sounds like Crosby and his line juggling, to be honest.

---

Quoting too many posts here, so I'll just say: GA, I completely agree with your thoughts on a potential Reinhart Pominville pairing. It would seem to make a ton of sense.

Edited by Thorny

Pommers is one of the reasons I hope (Pray?) that Wowie gives Reinhart a look at 3rd line center.  Pommers is usually at his best with a playmaking center.  I can see Reinhart setting up Pommers for 20 goals.  This idea is contingent of course on one of the 3 RW prospects stepping up and convincing Wowie they can step in and contribute as Jack's (or ROR's ) RW.   

I think if you throw Kane on left wing to add some speed that may be very effective IMO

He had 47 points last year. Even if his production goes down by 10 points he's a solid 3rd line RW. The best case scenario you listed isn't unlikely, it's a near certainty.

Well, he had 36 points the year before last, and he turns 35 in November -- so last year's production might not be the right benchmark.

Living in the past people, his best days are way in the rearview. He could always skate though so he can probably still play 3rd line minutes and is definitely an upgrade over Moulson and/or Ennis.

I say he is far from done, he'll get some top 6 playing time now and then.

Just love seeing him back in Buffalo, loved the story how his son got all excited about him getting to play with Eichel now.

Oh he most likely will get playing time on a top line cause there'll be players struggling and under-achieving and Kane will probably get injured BUT I'm saying on a decent team he shouldn't be better than 3rd line. So the question is will we have a decent team cause if he's a top line forward, we're in deep trouble. 

I hope Pommer can still contribute but I honestly don't think the Sabres really even wanted him and he is not in the long term plan. They agreed to take his salary off of the Wild's hands in a trade that revolved around us wanting Scandella and them wanting Foligno. We can absorb the price right now, but don't be surprised if we dump him at the deadline so only buy that jersey if you truly have extra cash kicking around..

Me too. As someone who was all for selling off assets of the failed core (and it failed primarily because the real core of Drury/Briere was gone) I welcome him back. I think I might get his jersey this fall.

Selling him off was the start of the tank.

I hope Pommer can still contribute but I honestly don't think the Sabres really even wanted him and he is not in the long term plan. They agreed to take his salary off of the Wild's hands in a trade that revolved around us wanting Scandella and them wanting Foligno. We can absorb the price right now, but don't be surprised if we dump him at the deadline so only buy that jersey if you truly have extra cash kicking around..

I'd agree that he was the price of getting Scandella as cheap as we did. But, at least on day 1, he was on Eichel's wing.

What does he bring?  He brings a nostalgic memory of the Sabres when they were good.  He brings faith that they can be.... excuse me... ARE good again.  He's an accomplished player that knows what to do and where to be which actually is just what Jack needs as a complementary piece.  He doesn't need to prove himself; he just needs to play as he knows he can.and be a good teammate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.