Training camp questions #8: what will Jason Pominville bring?

dudacek

I'm not optimistic about getting much out of Pommer.

Best case would be solid RW on the 3rd line with Reino and Kane, making smart plays, finishing chances with an undiminished one-timer, having enough life in his legs to play a regular shift effectively and showing the kids how to act like a pro.

Worst case is Moulson 2.0 -- a terrible contract for a guy with nothing left that we're stuck with for 2 years.

I think Minny thought he was closer to worst case than to best case, which is why they made the Sabres take him as part of the price for Scandella.

I'm reasonably optimistic that he hasn't fallen all the way to the worst case, but the best case seems unlikely too.

Knows the frame of mind needed for the playoffs. I think that is where his greatest value will be shown.

Knows the frame of mind needed to get to the playoffs.  The next step the team needs to take is to even get there.  As such, I like to think Pommer will bring a sense of urgency early in the season, to light fires under players that are content to find their way early in the season when the Sabres need to be winning games.  The season is a marathon, sure, but it's a much easier race to run if you get off to a hot start.

I'm not optimistic about getting much out of Pommer.

Best case would be solid RW on the 3rd line with Reino and Kane, making smart plays, finishing chances with an undiminished one-timer, having enough life in his legs to play a regular shift effectively and showing the kids how to act like a pro.

Worst case is Moulson 2.0 -- a terrible contract for a guy with nothing left that we're stuck with for 2 years.

I think Minny thought he was closer to worst case than to best case, which is why they made the Sabres take him as part of the price for Scandella.

I'm reasonably optimistic that he hasn't fallen all the way to the worst case, but the best case seems unlikely too.

I think Minny just got to the point where they knew what they were getting from Pommers and he didn't fit the direction they want to go in. Minny wants to get tougher because they're sick of getting bounced in the playoffs. Whereas Pommers is a better fit here because we're trying to be a speed team in the East where that seems to be more of a thing. 

I think Jason does come with a whiff of Moulson that has been hard for me to shake.

I agree with the Gionta comparisons, but I also think he has more to give offensively than Brian.

At least he did last year. Unfortunately, that's gotta end sometime.

I haven't seen any chatter about this, but I wonder if his shot and his smarts might lead to Housley giving him first shot with Jack.

He could fill the Reinhart role, freeing Sam to move to centre.

Edited by dudacek

The eye test from watching him 20 or so times a year for the past several years is that he can be a positive contributor in a sheltered role, which is what the Wild did.  However, his speed has deteriorated and I would think he becomes a liability if put in a position where speed is required.  

The eye test from watching him 20 or so times a year for the past several years is that he can be a positive contributor in a sheltered role, which is what the Wild did.  However, his speed has deteriorated and I would think he becomes a liability if put in a position where speed is required.  

This is one of the chief reasons why I don't think he should be on Eichel's line.  He just won't be able to keep up.

This is one of the chief reasons why I don't think he should be on Eichel's line.  He just won't be able to keep up.

Is he significantly slower than Samson?

Also, if the head and the hands can keep up, do the feet need to?

You're old enough to remember Dave Andreychuk feasting on all the open ice created by 16 and 89.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.