2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Exactly. Not all drafts are created equal. 2015 for example. This draft looks to have good talent in the top 4. Good talent in the 5-9 spots. After 9 is where it gets questionable. 

I currently have Dahlin, Zadina, Svechnikov, Wahlstrom as my top 4. Where do you have Zadina and why do you feel he isn't in the top 4 conversation. 

Also, should we be worried that Wahlstrom played with Jack Hughes who definitely helped him?

I've only seen about 2 five minute clips of Wahlstrom in my life, so I'm not really trying to make hard conclusions here, but those highlight tapes could have just as easily been Jack Hughes highlights...

But Wahlstrom did look good too.

I've only seen about 2 five minute clips of Wahlstrom in my life, so I'm not really trying to make hard conclusions here, but those highlight tapes could have just as easily been Jack Hughes highlights...

But Wahlstrom did look good too.

Highlights!

I'd have to look at it closer, but I looked at it the other day and decided that Hughes probably hurt Wahlstrom's numbers because Wahlstrom only got the benefit of Hughes for about half the games, but the model will discount your score because of a higher scoring player (on a pts/game basis) on your team.

If I wasn't busy, I would do what I did for Strome, which is look at his scoring with McDavid games and without McDavid, but looking through boxscores is ugly work.

As for Zadina, I haven't looked at Zadina lately, but remember that he wasn't outscoring his teammates, and he plays in the Q, which generally has higher scoring than the other CHL. A few months ago, before I loaded data, that I expected Zadina not to be ranked very high.

The model doesn't work any better than the scouting method for the first round. Where it kills is that it regularly finds someone I ranked 8th who will be drafted in the 3rd round, players like Braydan Point, Panarin, Kucherov, Jesper Bratt. I haven't looked for that player this year since I won't bother uploading data until the NHL gets into playoffs.

Edited by utsvävande

Also more HIGHLIGHTS! 

I'd have to look at it closer, but I looked at it the other day and decided that Hughes probably hurt Wahlstrom's numbers because Wahlstrom only got the benefit of Hughes for about half the games, but the model will discount your score because of a higher scoring player (on a pts/game basis) on your team.

If I wasn't busy, I would do what I did for Strome, which is look at his scoring with McDavid games and without McDavid, but looking through boxscores is ugly work.

As for Zadina, I haven't looked at Zadina lately, but remember that he wasn't outscoring his teammates, and he plays in the Q, which generally has higher scoring than the other CHL. A few months ago, before I loaded data, that I expected Zadina not to be ranked very high.

The model doesn't work any better than the scouting method for the first round. Where it kills is that it regularly finds someone I ranked 8th who will be drafted in the 3rd round, players like Braydan Point, Panarin, Kucherov, Jesper Bratt.

It is very good at this. 

I wish Zadina was a couple of steps faster. 

This is the biggest knock on him. Skates great but he only has good speed, not great speed. 

Speaking of guys that are outside the first round but we might want to consider... Blade Jenkins. He is one of the youngest guys in the draft being born in August. He was in the USDP but decided to go to the OHL this year. He had 20g, 24a for 44 points in 68 games. Now for most this will sound like a mediocre season but considering he was 4th on the team in points and 3rd in goals.

Rakish, I think your model is going to like Calen Addison. He went from 33 points to 65 points and his birthday is in April. 

Yeah, Addison's numbers look great. I'm going to need to think about defensemen and height. 5 years ago it was an issue, but I'm thinking it's hardly an issue anymore

5'10" is my personal cutoff unless there is a reason to ignore it. Preferably I like defenders at 6'1" and Forwards at 6' but when you are 2nd on your team in points as a defender that stands out. Those heights are what I ideally like but I honestly forwards and defenders who can skate and are over 5'10" are fine with me.

Liger Wahlstrom would have a very comparable center on the Sabres in Eichel.

Very true. Speaking of Jack Hughes and Jack Eichel.  If Hughes had played as many games as Eichel did in their predraft USDP season (53) Hughes would have had, 40goals, 57assists compared to Eichel's 38g, 49a season. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Liger Wahlstrom would have a very comparable center on the Sabres in Eichel.

He is committed to Harvard, anyone know if there is an instance of a guy going to Harvard and not completing his 4 years?

edit. Just went through the list  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/alumni.php?tmi=6047

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there is anyone else who has gone to Harvard as highly rated as Wahlstrom

Edited by Crusader1969

He is committed to Harvard, anyone know if there is an instance of a guy going to Harvard and not completing his 4 years?

Donato is the most recent.  I'd say it's pretty rare though.

The only big case of "leaving early" that I can think of was when Louis Leblanc went 1st overall and then only lasted at Harvard for 1 year before jumping to the Q.  That was a case where he didn't seem to fit there all that well.

Edited by shrader

It's upthread somewhere. I said our top 8 is almost identical, except switching Bouchard and Zadina. So the 4 are Dahlin, Bouchard, Svechnikov (sp?), and Walhstrom. Tkachuk is ok, but a drop down from my top 4. Everyone else is a ways back.

I would be ecstatic if the Sabres drafted one of them and Bouchard or Wahlstrom should be available at 4 or 5

One thing's for sure, whoever win it will have a detailed story crafted by Sabres fans about how the league wanted it that way and then pretend it was obvious the whole time and therefore R I G G E D

It’s infuriating. I keep telling people, might as well just assume we aren’t winning the thing, the odds are so low.

People will be incredulous again when we fall 3 spots, even though that is the MOST likely outcome.

It’s infuriating. I keep telling people, might as well just assume we aren’t winning the thing, the odds are so low.

People will be incredulous again when we fall 3 spots, even though that is the MOST likely outcome.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES??

I think most people here are resigned to drafting 4th.

Definitely around here. Should have been clearer, was referring to more casual fans. The twitter crowd. The “best odds of getting Dahlin means we are getting Dahlin” crowd.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES??

Just Casey Mitt-acles.

At this point we're guaranteed to draft top 5. While some luck in the lottery would be nice, I'm not expecting it whatsoever.

Yup Yotes won 69 points, Canadians picked up a point last nite to 69. Only Ottowa only team left with 67 points 3 games left. Tonite for carrion league championship.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.