2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

I have a couple of Merkley games saved and rewatched his shifts again this morning

Skating - speed, elusive and shifty. His passing is fantastic, always on the tape, including a stretch pass from his own red line that creates a break away.

If he gets his head screwed on he could be an elite offensive dman.

Then after reading all the articles about his nonchalant play and bad attitude, it makes me wonder if he is even on the Sabres draft board.

I do believe there is a chance he will be there at 32, though will NYR pass 3 times on him in Rd 1? If he is, I would look for JB to trade down a couple of slots and let someone else take him.

Perfect fit in Ottawa.  ZING.

Do you think that ROR could bring a round 1 draft pick in the 4-8 range?  I'm impressed with the talent of Brady Tkachuk.  He had a great WJC, spoke well at the combine and analysts have given him glowing reviews.  Button @ TSN "makes  teams and those he plays with better" - which is a heck of an endorsement.  

Would  it take more that ROR to get the pick?  Who?

And besides we need a "chuk" on our team --- the more the better.

Do you think that ROR could bring a round 1 draft pick in the 4-8 range?  I'm impressed with the talent of Brady Tkachuk.  He had a great WJC, spoke well at the combine and analysts have given him glowing reviews.  Button @ TSN "makes  teams and those he plays with better" - which is a heck of an endorsement.  

Would  it take more that ROR to get the pick?  Who?

And besides we need a "chuk" on our team --- the more the better.

Just move ROR to wing.

Casey isn’t ready to be our 2nd line center. Give it a year or two.

I agree. So we don’t need to trade our best all atound center, who happens to be one of the best all around centers in the league, for a winger prospect. We have Casey until he is ready to move ROR to wing, where he can continue to be one of the best all around players in the league.

I agree. So we don’t need to trade our best all atound center, who happens to be one of the best all around centers in the league, for a winger prospect. We have Casey until he is ready to move ROR to wing, where he can continue to be one of the best all around players in the league.

I

I can't disagree.  I like ROR because --- well there is a lot to like.  In order to get value you have to give value.  That's just the way it works.  Prospects are a big part of any rebuild.  Look at the Blueberry Muffins.  They had a lot of prospects and now have two playoffs appearances with them.

I'm still interested in hearing from our esteemed board if ROR can bring a return of a 4 - 8 draft pick.

I

I can't disagree.  I like ROR because --- well there is a lot to like.  In order to get value you have to give value.  That's just the way it works.  Prospects are a big part of any rebuild.  Look at the Blueberry Muffins.  They had a lot of prospects and now have two playoffs appearances with them.

I'm still interested in hearing from our esteemed board if ROR can bring a return of a 4 - 8 draft pick.

Doubtful. The teams drafting 4-8 are:

4. Ottawa - likely rebuilding and they have a cheap owner so they'd rather put that money towards trying to resign Karlsson

5. Arizona - recently did this trading a top 10 pick for Stepan

6. Detroit - rebuilding so I doubt they want to give up a young blue chip prospect for a prime vet

7. Vancouver - see Detroit

8. Chicago - Feasible from a contender standpoint but with Kanes and Toews on the books for $10.5 million each I think they'd rather have the blue chipper on the ELC.

Doubtful. The teams drafting 4-8 are:

4. Ottawa - likely rebuilding and they have a cheap owner so they'd rather put that money towards trying to resign Karlsson

5. Arizona - recently did this trading a top 10 pick for Stepan

6. Detroit - rebuilding so I doubt they want to give up a young blue chip prospect for a prime vet

7. Vancouver - see Detroit

8. Chicago - Feasible from a contender standpoint but with Kanes and Toews on the books for $10.5 million each I think they'd rather have the blue chipper on the ELC.

Vancouver’s Pick at 7 is listed on the TSN Trade Bait List.

Per Sportsnet Elliott Friedman they would be willing to trade 7th Overall to Carolina as part of a Hanifin Deal, he does not believe that the same offer has been extended to Buffalo for ROR, but he also said that could change.

The only way I would consider trading ROR to Vancouver where that pick is a central piece is that on draft night Oliver Wahlstrom or Quinn Hughes is still on the board when it’s Vancouver’s Pick.

Yea, good points.  who would we have to add to make Ott or Det interested?  

Per Sportsnet Elliott Friedman they would be willing to trade 7th Overall to Carolina as part of a Hanifin Deal, he does not believe that the same offer has been extended to Buffalo for ROR, but he also said that could change.

The only way I would consider trading ROR to Vancouver where that pick is a central piece is that on draft night Oliver Wahlstrom or Quinn Hughes is still on the board when it’s Vancouver’s Pick.

Hmmm, interesting.

Not that I disagree, but I have become convinced that Botterill has decided that trading him is the best way to fix the room.

Prepare to be angry.

Big difference between trading a pick for a 21 year old defenseman vs a 27 year old forward. Hanifin can be seen as a future piece where O'Reilly is more of the win now variety.

Ottawa would probably have to include taking Bobby Ryan’s Contract and their is NFW I’m doing that if I’m Botterill.

Even including Hoffman in the deal wouldn’t be worth it given the headache that comes with him.

Detroit is willing to move down, but only a few slots per reports

Big difference between trading a pick for a 21 year old defenseman vs a 27 year old forward. Hanifin can be seen as a future piece where O'Reilly is more of the win now variety.

Which is the reason Vancouver has reportedly not offered the 7th Overall to Buffalo.

Not that I disagree, but I have become convinced that Botterill has decided that trading him is the best way to fix the room.

Prepare to be angry.

If its a hockey trade and not a trade for lottery tix, I won’t be angry.

I

I dont think that ROR can get us a top 8 pick straight up with his contract. Though, maybe its part of a bigger deal that takes a contract off of the Canucks that they don't particular want.

Edited by Crusader1969

Article on top 10 picks being traded

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/often-top-10-nhl-draft-picks-traded-june/

Short answer, doesn’t happen much, but Jeff Carter, Jordan Staal, Corey Schneider and Derek Stepan made it happen.

So theoretically, O’Reilly is of similar worth and could return a top 10 pick, but not a top 5.

Article on top 10 picks being traded

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/often-top-10-nhl-draft-picks-traded-june/

Short answer, doesn’t happen much, but Jeff Carter, Jordan Staal, Corey Schneider and Derek Stepan made it happen.

So theoretically, O’Reilly is of similar worth and could return a top 10 pick, but not a top 5.

I agree with you, but this would be stomach-churning. 

Jeez Dhalin has an Eichel issue... in need of a case of clearisil

His forehead is my breakout candidate of the year.

Now that was funny!

Always curious if people who comment on this knew anyone who suffered through severe acne and the impacts that the incessant ribbing had in them.

Just feels so petty to even mention such things about people.

Always curious if people who comment on this knew anyone who suffered through severe acne and the impacts that the incessant ribbing had in them.

Just feels so petty to even mention such things about people.

Me.

Went through every Rx drug imaginable. Nothing worked. Dermatologists were useless. Got lucky, it started to fade after highschool and it went away around 21. But yeah, 7 years pretty much sucked. I joke about it often now. But I joke about every embarrassing chapter of my life because not everything is as tragic as we think it is at the time(for some of us)

Edited by ubkev

Me.

Went through every Rx drug imaginable. Nothing worked. Dermatologists were useless. Got lucky, it started to fade after highschool and it went away around 21. But yeah, 7 years pretty much sucked. I joke about it often now. But I joke about every embarrassing chapter of my life because not everything is as tragic as we think it is at the time(for some of us)

Indeed.  Lots of people are left with self-esteem issues from it.  I get the easy target and all that.  I just think it's shallow to pick on people for things they can't necessarily do anything about.  The joke.. just use clearisil... but as you know.. it doesn't work.  If you were truly fortunate enough to have been prescribed Accutane you may have truly enjoyed its side effects... 

Just google Accutane and suicide.

It's like picking on people about their weight, etc.  Just shallow...  meh, I shouldn't have said anything I suppose... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.