2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

I am pulling this little tidbit from a Kris Baker article: "would be a nice send off to Sabres’ Swedish scout Jan-Axel Alavaara, who is leaving the job at the end of June to take over managerial duties for German club Adler Mannheim."

Considering that the Sabres Swedish scouting has been pretty solid the last couple years this is saddening to hear but all the best to him. 

Also a player for round 4 that Baker dug up, Ryan Chyzowski. Don't know much about him but his work ethic sounds good. 

Here's the link for this, it's usually my favorite pre-draft read: https://theathletic.com/395164/2018/06/18/baker-a-comprehensive-look-at-how-the-sabres-may-approach-the-draft-after-taking-rasmus-at-no-1-of-course/

I believe it comes from reddit but there is a photo circulating of Dahlin Sabres nameplate. 

Also, there's a solid rumor that Montreal wanted to trade down a couple of spots to draft Kotkaniemi (Center).  May stay put to ensure they get him. 

That name doesn't look french enough for them.  Will they try to convince him to change it, Kotkaniemier or something?

Introducing our #BAUERDraftParty special guests! NHL Network Analyst @KevinWeekes will moderate a Q&A that features three #NHLDraft Prospects, @Jackeichel15, and Hurricanes legend and Head Coach Rod Brind'Amour.

Justin Almeida. an overager that would be worth looking at for Buffalo. More of a 5/6th round type pick. Which is where you take overagers who drop 98 point WHL seasons. 

One of my favorite overagers is this guy though. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/277057/linus-nyman

Also Nyman plays with Pu. Probably a good 6th/7th round type guy. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Sexton said that the Sabres don't think nationality or league is relevant. They look at high quality high character players. He said roughly, we want good humans.

But that’s clearly BS. Botterill has shown he has a definite proclivity towards college guys.

Haven’t we been operating under the idea that he had a large influence on the drafting while in Pittsburgh? I though that was the case, anyways. Heavily leaned College. If Botterill leans heavily that was again this season for the second Sabres year in a row, I think it’s pretty clear.

Without his own scouting staff in place

The first draft ever the Sabres didn’t select a single CHL player, if I’m not mistaken.

Edited by Thorny

Botterill has run one draft.

This is true, however Botterill was in charge of the Penguins Draft over the past few years and Kris Baker detailed the similarities between how the Pens Drafted and Botterill’s First with Buffalo

From The Athletic

A few thoughts in summary:

1) An interesting omission from his draft history in Pittsburgh was the absence of players from Russian leagues. With no KHL transfer agreement in place, it seems the philosophy was to eliminate the risk, and it’s one that greatly aligns with the Sabres’ recent draft history.

2) Through time, it’s easy to see a paradigm shift as it relates to a lesser focus on Canadian major-junior. The Penguins used 14 of their 27 selections between 2009-2012 on players from the WHL, OHL and QMJHL. In the four years after, just four of their 21 picks came from those leagues.

3) The USHL became a more integral feeder as they shifted towards college-bound players. From 2013-2016, the Penguins selected a player out of the American Junior A circuit in four consecutive drafts — the only league that received attention in each of those four years.

4) With 22 of 48 picks during Botterill’s time in Pittsburgh being used on players taking the collegiate development path, it’s worth mentioning how the Penguins selected a player directly out of the NCAA in their final three drafts with him on staff.

5) As the Penguins diversified their prospect portfolio, Europe emerged as a trend with five of the final 15 picks during his tenure being used on players from overseas leagues, including three from Finland.

6) The Penguins seemed to value higher-end goaltending prospects as opposed to late-round projects as the club elected to choose four backstops over the last five drafts that Botterill helped direct, including two instances where they used their first pick on the position.

If you think this is just an exercise in numbers and that none of this relates to how Botterill may influence his scouting staff moving forward, look no further than how the Sabres drafted in 2017.

With their six picks, the Sabres selected two players out of the USHL on their way to college, one directly out of the NCAA and three Europeans, including two from Finland. One of those Finns was a second-round goaltender.

Now it’s entirely possible he continued this trend for the 2017 Draft, as he was comfortable with that model and as Liger mentioned he did not have his staff in place. Friday and Saturday should tell us a lot.

Another interesting tidbit is in Botterill’s Absence last year, current Sabres AGM Randy Sexton ran the Pittsburgh Draft.

I think Sexton addressed this on WGR today. He very clearly said they don’t favour any feeder system.

But he also said generally juniors is more heavily populated with early bloomers, college with late bloomers.

Therefore, late in the draft when you are looking for late bloomers you will likely find more of them in college and Europe, where there is also more time for them to bloom.

The Penguins, historically have a high percentage of their picks later in the draft.

Edited by dudacek

So they don’t favour any system, but the type of player they like to draft is found more often on the college route or overseas...

To my mind that’s semantics. Botterill’s tenure in Pittsburgh, and his first draft here, have illustrated a common theme regarding the development path of many of his picks. If we are looking at another draft comprised mainly of those players in a week’s time, I think we’ll have a pretty good idea of the leagues they often end up favouring.

His picks in earlier rounds have still reflected these tendencies.

Edited by Thorny

So if those were Botterill’s drafts in Pittsburgh, are we calling this draft Sexton’s or Greeley’s?

Not sure, we have no idea what Botterill’s Delegation Pattern is when it comes to the draft as of yet.

Plus there is Director of Amateur Scouting Ryan Jankowski who was hired from Hockey Canada this past summer. He served as Head Scout and Director of Player Personel for them. How much input will he have given his background?

This is also from Bakers Article

Edited by Brawndo

It’s interesting that last year’s draft was done mostly with Murray’s guys.

I wonder how much Botterill adjusted their lens.

It’s really hard to say, when looking at just that one draft. My gut says he adjusted that lens a fair bit, only because the Sabres had literally never gone a single draft without grabbing at least one CHL player, and in steps Botterill and boom, no CHL guys first draft.

It could be coincidental, but he’s the main variable in the equation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.