Training camp questions #2: What do we have in Zemgus Girgensons?

dudacek

It wasn't that long ago Zemgus was among the darlings of this forum. Many of us considered him a key part of the rebuilt core.

The past two years have transformed him into an afterthought.

What role should he play? Was he ruined by being rushed into the NHL as part of one of the worst teams in recent memory?

How much of it was Bylsma's fault? Was Zemgus never that good to begin with?

What does the future hold for the Latvian Locomotive and will that future be in Buffalo?

TCQ 2!

I think Zemgus is the perfect player to play on Jack's left. He is reasonably fast, skates well, and can dig the puck out of the corner. He does that and feeds it to an open Jack and we are in business. I think his shot last year was atrocious and hopefully something he worked on but generally think he was poorly used. His stats the last two years stink of Bylsma. I have faith in his resurgence. 

I expect Zemgus to have the biggest turnaround of any player on this team in recent memory. He's gonna be hella better. Hella. 

Wonder who the previous bench mark is. Stafford for that one season?

I think if this actually happens then the Sabres make the playoffs. Thats a lot to put on one player, but man that would make a huge difference.

Think the only candidates for this award are Moulson, Bogosian, Lehner, and Girgs. Right?

Wonder who the previous bench mark is. Stafford for that one season?

Think the only candidates for this award are Moulson, Bogosian, Lehner, and Girgs. Right?

Why Lehner? I get a lot of people find his game lacking, but statistically he had his best season ever and ranked as a solid starter.

What's he turning around?

What role should he play?

I see him filling Foligno's role. Speedy power forward who hits and contributes a few goals here and there, playing in the middle six.

I expect Zemgus to have the biggest turnaround of any player on this team in recent memory. He's gonna be hella better. Hella. 

Nope.  Moulson is gonna score 33 goals this year.  (You read it here first.)

I see him filling Foligno's role. Speedy power forward who hits and contributes a few goals here and there, playing in the middle six.

Good call.

Edited by Eleven

OK, I like Taylor Swift as much as the next guy, but...

Hahaha.

... Wait. What?

(Is that a T Swift thing? My teenage daughters say it -- which is why it's worked its way into my lexicon.)

I will sh1t in and then eat my hat if this happens.

Girgensons doesn't belong in the NHL IMO.

Name one thing he does particularly well...  he's below average across the board in all facets of today's game.

He would be a quality AHL player, I expect him to either get waived or traded by the time this team sniffs the playoffs.

Girgensons doesn't belong in the NHL IMO.

Name one thing he does particularly well...  he's below average across the board in all facets of today's game.

He would be a quality AHL player, I expect him to either get waived or traded by the time this team sniffs the playoffs.

I think I'm closer to this than he should be on Jack's wing.

I think I'm closer to this than he should be on Jack's wing.

What you need on Eichel's wing is a finisher, a guy like Jeff Carter would be ideal, but there's only one Jeff Carter.... Pastrnak would be nice,  Hossa,  Cam Neely, Kevin Stevens, Mogilny, Kurri, Selanne, ...  those types of guys.    I'd try Okposo there to start, but they just don't have that guy in the organization yet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.