Mittelstadt - Hobey Baker?

WildCard

I'll probably get roasted for saying it....but his play style reminds me of McDavid.

Disclaimer - I do not think Casey Mittelstadt will reach anywhere near McDavid's level, obviously.

He also attacks constantly like McDavid. He is also willing to skate by players on the boards. McDavid burns so many dmen by letting them think they have the angle and he blows right past them. I don't think Casey will reach McDavids level, but it is an encouraging sign.

He rushes the same way, I see what you mean.

Yup, that's exactly it. When he gets the puck near his own blue line, nothing seemingly matters more to him than carrying the puck as quickly as his feet will allow him to, into the opposing zone. His transition game is off the charts. Then he stops on a dime to create the play in zone. He's looks special.

Yup.

Safe to say he's ranked over Nylander yet?

The eye test on Mittelstadt is even more impressive than that written on him. He's gotta be our best prospect, and I'm still a Nylander guy.

He also attacks constantly like McDavid. He is also willing to skate by players on the boards. McDavid burns so many dmen by letting them think they have the angle and he blows right past them. I don't think Casey will reach McDavids level, but it is an encouraging sign.

The thing that makes McDavid elite is his quickness and top end speed.    Mittlestadt looks fast at times against kids his age, let's see what he does in college against 22-24 year olds...   I actually think college is more similar to the NHL than juniors because of the size and strength of the competition.    If he gets 50-60 points, he'll be one and done.    

The thing that makes McDavid elite is his quickness and top end speed.    Mittlestadt looks fast at times against kids his age, let's see what he does in college against 22-24 year olds...   I actually think college is more similar to the NHL than juniors because of the size and strength of the competition.    If he gets 50-60 points, he'll be one and done.

I don't disagree, but it takes a special attitude to challenge d along the wall. They have the advantage. Many players see the window closing and turn. The ones that blow through before the window closes are rarer.

For those who worry about how we stack up against the Leafs, one could make very interesting, if premature, parallel to Marner.

Which then leaves them without a Reinhart.

Marner did 11 pull ups. But he does have weak little hands.

Seriously though, I like this team comparison. And I like our order of young guns better, because they'll be getting their money after Jack already has his. Is it conceivable that Matthews, W Nylander, and Marner could all want extensions next off season? I'm glad we'll pay Jack, then know our money situation when we extend others.

Just dreaming here. It depends on when each extension happens. But imagine if Casey gets a cup of coffee this year, full rookie season next year, then a breakout year on Jack's wing where he puts up massive numbers on an ELC. That stuff right there is how teams win cups.

Edited by EichSnipe

on draft day, Sabres fans across Twitter posted the meme of CM not doing his pull-ups yadda yadda.  I believe Sam Bennett didn't do any or did one, can't remember, but that being said, Bennett had some injury issues with his shoulder.  I believe he will play two years in college, his freshman year will have some fans saying he's a bust, but, i bet by his sophomore year he's got 15lbs of muscle added and he dominates college.  

I saw a few posts suggesting his speed and compete along the boards reminds them of McDavid yet he will never be as good as McDavid.  Does he even have to be?   If Mittelstadt can be better than Reinhart, then we should be dominant very soon.

The future is bright!

Safe to say he's ranked over Nylander yet?

The eye test on Mittelstadt is even more impressive than that written on him. He's gotta be our best prospect, and I'm still a Nylander guy.

I think this has to be the case. The Minnesota kid whose name I will never be able to spell (hey, at least it has a superfluous D!) is our best prospect.

Cody Hodgson led the 2009 WJHC tournament in scoring with 16 points in 6 games.

This is fair. Howevah, d4rk's rejoinder is spot on.

The Sabres Fanatics Twitter is a must follow, btw. They have a collection of Middleshtaht highlights from yesterday's matchup. This one isn't a goal, but it's one of my faves:

https://twitter.com/SabresFanatics/status/892486549627183107

If this kid pans out, we're going to have a new version of the Pomenstien filter.

Knew Smell was a Mass Hole

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.