The end of stupid birth year sweater numbers.

Eleven

This was it.  This was the last draft class eligible to use their birth years as sweater numbers for quite some time.  99 is retired league-wide and 00 is no longer allowed.  Since I'm generally not a fan of NASCAR numbers on hockey sweaters, I'm happy about this.

I can't remember why I put 38 in there

That's the one you use for the call-up.

When he makes the team for good he gets to pick a number under 35.

And when a goalie establishes himself as the number one, he gets assigned number one, no exceptions.

This is really very simple as anyone who can yell at a cloud can tell you.

we need a thread for this

And yet this thread gets more attention  than the HHOF one.

Should be 39.

And stop retiring the numbers of very good players.

Perreault and Hasek. Nobody else.

I think you've got to retire the number of a guy who dies while on the roster, but otherwise I'm with you.

The cloud-yell is perfect for this.

But we all have our slightly irrational hills on which we choose to die (metaphorically). 

You go, Eleven. You go ahead and rail against your birth year NASCAR numbers.

For me, I think I was permanently softened on the subject when, as a young man, I developed a full-blown man crush on #93, Doug Gilmour. (And I have no idea why he chose that as his number either.)

This was it.  This was the last draft class eligible to use their birth years as sweater numbers for quite some time.  99 is retired league-wide and 00 is no longer allowed.  Since I'm generally not a fan of NASCAR numbers on hockey sweaters, I'm happy about this.

:huh:

The majority of kids in this draft were '99's. Only those that missed the mid-September cutoff & overagers are '98's or older.

Shouldn't this have been last season's rant? :unsure:

Which I also enjoy.

There's some sort of symmetry between Eleven not wanting the kids to wear what they want, and your not wanting some old codger to prevent the kids from wearing what they want.

Never caught that.  Funny stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.