Sabres Pick #89: Oksari Laaksonen (D)

LGR4GM

I'd guess they were shopping for specific skill sets at that point in the draft and that the D you wanted them to take didn't have them.

I guess.  I wanted them to grab Rochester's Farrance.  Who is fast, plays two-way, can check, run a power play and has logged huge minutes in the USNDTP and is going to BU in the fall.  He was still available.  Seems like a perfect Jbot  kind of player.  Nashville, who knows a thing or two about D, grabbed Farrance 3 picks later.

1. That doesn't mean they were going to take him in the 3rd round or at all.  

2.  Special is great, but I find it hard to believe that Jbot and staff had him as the 89th or higher rated player in the draft.  there is no way this was a "BPA" pick. 

1. Seems like the Sabres thought they might.

2a. They believed it.

2b. As Weave just said, your best guess is that they reached for a defenseman (which is what you wanted) but that doesn't count because it's not the one you wanted (presumably a guy you saw on a mock draft or scouting report you saw).

1. That doesn't mean they were going to take him in the 3rd round or at all.  

2.  Special is great, but I find it hard to believe that Jbot and staff had him as the 89th or higher rated player in the draft.  there is no way this was a "BPA" pick.

It's pretty clear from the interviews with Botterill and Crisp that their European staff feel very strongly that the kid kid deserved to be ranked where he was and that their pitch for him was passionate enough to convince the rest of the staff.

He didn't say it, but I got the impression that Botterill was one of those who had to be convinced - which makes sense given the likelihood that he was a player not on the Penguins radar.

If I'm reading this right, it is your opinion they were desperate for a puck moving defenceman, so they reached way down their list to grab one rather than their next highest-ranked player?

Isn't it just as likely they had him ranked higher, but had sat on him for awhile, thinking they could afford to?

It's pretty clear from the interviews with Botterill and Crisp that their European staff feel very strongly that the kid kid deserved to be ranked where he was and that their pitch for him was passionate enough to convince the rest of the staff.

He didn't say it, but I got the impression that Botterill was one of those who had to be convinced - which makes sense given the likelihood that he was a player not on the Penguins radar.

If I'm reading this right, it is your opinion they were desperate for a puck moving defenceman, so they reached way down their list to grab one rather than their next highest-ranked player?

Isn't it just as likely they had him ranked higher, but had sat on him for awhile, thinking they could afford to?

It's possible.  Anything is.  Since we didn't have any 5th or 6th rd picks and they didn't love anyone they said WTF and drafted him.  Hopefully I'm wrong this kid becomes an NHL player.  I'd be thrilled and my respect for Crisp, Jbot and Devine will go up significantly.  

I'll say this, I was following two guys to see where they would go, Farrance and Markus Phillips.  Farrance went 3 picks to Nashville after we took Oskari and Phillips went in the 4th rd to LA after we took Bryson.  It should be interesting to follow these 4 guys and see what happens. 

Edited by GASabresFan

Heres something else that people seem to trip over: BPÀ is just a consensus of the scouting team, based on the framework spelled out by the GM and the scouting director, with the GM getting the final call.

Can you imagine this board trying to come to a consensus ranking on the Sabres, who most of us watch play every game?

Sure, Jack and ROR are 1/2,

Or is Risto better than ROR?

At least we are all in agreement that Moulson is at the bottom.

I mean DLo. I mean Gorges.

Where does Guhle fit in? Nylander? Or, heaven forbid, Kane and Lehner?

Who's better, Larsson or Girgensons? Bailey or Baptiste?

Reinhart at #2? Who put dudacek and Thorny in charge?

Imagine the shouting match in the war room between Eleven and True over Bogo.

Especially as you work your way through the draft, BPA is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by dudacek

Heres something else that people seem to trip over: BPÀ is just a consensus of the scouting team, based on the framework spelled out by the GM and the scouting director, with the GM getting the final call.

Can you imagine this board trying to come to a consensus ranking on the Sabres, who most of us watch play every game?

Sure, Jack and ROR are 1/2,

Or is Risto better than ROR?

At least we are all in agreement that Moulson is at the bottom.

I mean DLo. I mean Gorges.

Where does Guhle fit in? Nylander? Or, heaven forbid, Kane and Lehner?

Who's better, Larsson or Girgensons? Bailey or Baptiste?

Reinhart at #2? Who put dudacek and Thorny in charge?

Imagine the shouting match between Eleven and True over Bogo.

Especially as you work your way through the draft, BPA is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Post a thread and see what happens.  I rank our prospects all the time.  It might be fun to rank our lineup.

Edited by GASabresFan

It's possible.  Anything is.  Since we didn't have any 5th or 6th rd picks and they didn't love anyone they said WTF and drafted him.  Hopefully I'm wrong this kid becomes an NHL player.  I'd be thrilled and my respect for Crisp, Jbot and Devine will go up significantly.  

I'll say this, I was following two guys to see where they would go, Farrance and Markus Phillips.  Farrance went 3 picks to Nashville after we took Oskari and Phillips went in the 4th rd to LA after we took Bryson.  It should be interesting to follow these 4 guys and see what happens.

Really wanted Farrance at 89. That the team w/ @ worst the 3rd best D corp in the league grabbed him 3 picks later makes it more frustrating.

Didn't think he'd make the show for more than a cup of coffee; but if Nashville believes ...

Scotty Nichol saw a lot of him prior to USDT.

I guess. I wanted them to grab Rochester's Farrance. Who is fast, plays two-way, can check, run a power play and has logged huge minutes in the USNDTP and is going to BU in the fall. He was still available. Seems like a perfect Jbot kind of player. Nashville, who knows a thing or two about D, grabbed Farrance 3 picks later.

Exactly. Farrance was available at Sabres pick. They obviously want this kid more. I think I'll trust jbot and his professional scouting staff at this point.

Really wanted Farrance at 89. That the team w/ @ worst the 3rd best D corp in the league grabbed him 3 picks later makes it more frustrating.

Didn't think he'd make the show for more than a cup of coffee; but if Nashville believes ...

Scotty Nichol saw a lot of him prior to USDT.

I think Farrance at 89 would have been perfect

• 2 weeks later...

While I still think Farrance at #89 would have been nice, let's talk about Oskari Laaksonen.  He is growing on me. Might be recency bias because I went out and tried to dig up everything written on him but he seems to be a solid player. In addition, some light reading from Dev Camp on our darkhorse defender.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/09/mystery-draft-pick-revealed-laaksonen-gets-chance-sabres-camp/ 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/oskari-laaksonen-sabres-third-round-pick/c-290337418

I guess this is where our European scouts come in.

Let's hope they aren't wrong... 

The Red Wings built a dynasty with European scouts.

Hockey News doesn't list him in their top 100 prospects.  Everyone's confused.

The next Taro T.!

If they really loved this kid and thought he was completely under the radar, why not trade down, pick up picks in he rounds we didn't have selections and draft him later?

They said other teams were aware of him.  They probably didn't want to get scooped.

"I think I bring offensive skill. I play with a lot of skill on the ice. I like to make good plays. I'm a good reader of plays and I think they like my talents."

Hockey Sense.  Oh wait, that was XGMTM's buzzword.  Why on earth did they pick this guy???  ;)

What was Taro Tsujimoto's number?  That's what Laaksonen should wear.

Hockey Sense. Oh wait, that was XGMTM's buzzword. Why on earth did they pick this guy??? ;)

What was Taro Tsujimoto's number? That's what Laaksonen should wear.

Well, the card that Score made had a guy wearing number 3, but the jerseys ive seen people make have had 74 because of his draft year..

Someone needs to Tweet the legend of Taro T. to him so he can ask for one of those numbers when he makes the big club.  It would be very cool.  The mystery player adopting the number of the original mystery player.

It would forever enshrine him in Sabres lore.

While I still think Farrance at #89 would have been nice, let's talk about Oskari Laaksonen.  He is growing on me. Might be recency bias because I went out and tried to dig up everything written on him but he seems to be a solid player. In addition, some light reading from Dev Camp on our darkhorse defender.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/07/09/mystery-draft-pick-revealed-laaksonen-gets-chance-sabres-camp/ 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/oskari-laaksonen-sabres-third-round-pick/c-290337418

Good articles (although completely redundant).  Thanks for posting.  He's an intriguing prospect.

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, LGR4GM said:

Agreed, I don't like this pick. There were better defenders left on the board to take... like David Farrance who just went to Nashville. 

Nope I dislike this pick, a 5'9" guy without a ton of offense on defense... just doesn't work. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

5'9 133. This kid will never play in the NHL.

Just reading Corey Pronman's Farm system rankings in the Athletic and he is reporting Laaksonen as 6 foot 2 after going through a growth spurt.  Just curious if this changes your guys view on him with the new information.  Pronman has him ranked 7th in the system, ahead of guys like Ullmark and Oloffson.

As I've mentioned before, there was a lot of negative reaction to JBott's draft around here.  I've heard some pretty great stories about some of our non-Dahlin picks thus far.  Can't wait to see if we can develop some of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.